dummy Grenades

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

djspider

Mar 14, 2000
Visit site
I was reading the post by boogerboi and thought that perhaps a dummy grenade should be made possible.

the grenade would look the same as a real one but will have no explosives in it. The point of this grenade is that it is lighter so it is possible to carry more and can be used to make the opposition move. For example you are trying to get controll of a machine gun emplacement but dont want to blow it up so you chuck a dummy grenade towards it and the other player instinctiavly runs away leaving the gun open for you or one of your team mates to take and whip ass.

It would allso be good if these grenades were re-useable as they don't actually explode.

Think about it guys it wouldent be hard as you already have the grenade model and animations the only difference would be the fact it dosent explode and is lighter.

------------------
Violence is not an option it is compulsory

boogerboi

Feb 19, 2000
Visit site
yeah...cool idea
the grenade doesnt blow but a little flag comes out which says
"BANG! You're dead!"

good for chasing ppl away too...and gunning them down...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
And shouldn't be too hard to code..
Especially funny if you toss them in until the enemy thinks you only use dummies, and then throw a live in..
hehe

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
hehe. I remember that idea once came up in the rainbow 6 forums... not sure if anyone ever used it, but the tatics would definetly work ( well at least in Rb6 they did, cause if you ever saw a green thing come in your direction you either ran for your life, or took your hands of the keyboard/mouse cause you knew you were dead. hehe )

Any chance that we'll ever see the bots in INF actually use a gernade?

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Nice idea. Instead of the fake grenade with the flag booger, how about making it a practise grenade? They explode and cover anything nearby with FLOUR! It could obscure one's vision for a few seconds so that the thrower could sneak past! What to you think?

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
then again, why don't we just brain our opponent with it? Or chuck it into their crotch and shoot them when they are on the floor?

this, in m opinion, is why women should be allowed and respected in the military

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
And that is exactly why I think they shouldn't be...

For some reason, a person raised to instictively go for the crotch on a man is not the ally I want to anger or the enemy I want to have. I'll take a nice, clean head shot from the boys, thank you very much.

Though it would be cool if we all got a bunch of INF loving hot chicks that all loved us, or just me. Option two is definitely the better one. I figure 20, 30 tops, I should be satiated...

so, so lonely...

White Rabbit

Mar 19, 2000
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Visit site
I think everyone has missed the obvious here.

If you have the choice between a dummy grenade and a real grenade, which are you really going to pick?

If you have the choice at throwing a dummy grenade or a live grenade at your opponent, which are you really going to throw?

-----------
keeping it real

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Well, they were talking about in an area where they don't want to destroy a specific object (gun emplacement, hostage, etc)... but in that case a smoke grenade, CS gas grenade, or a flashbang would be a much better substitute.

djspider

Mar 14, 2000
Visit site
yeah but the point is that it would be lighter to carry a dummy ie u could carry 5 dummys to 1 real.

------------------
Violence is not an option it is compulsory

White Rabbit

Mar 19, 2000
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Visit site
I still think the dummy grenades are pointless, and I'd prefer to carry one Real grenade to five Dummies. After my first four grenades don't explode, my opponent isn't going to turn tail any more...

Dummy grenades are good once per game, after that the gig is up. Real grenades are useful 100% of the time.

Final verdict: interesting but useless idea

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Not really useless. My friend had a pineapple that had the mechanisms removed, making effectively a dud, though it still had pin and spoon intact. You should have seen people freak out when I pulled the pin, held it in my hand, popped the lever off, an dropped it in my drawers.

Of course, the sudden thought that it might not be a dud kinda tripped me out for a second, but then I realised I still had my boys, and all was good. But the girls really hated me for that one. I don't think Steve ever fully recovered, either.

red0006

Dont shoot, Im a civilian >:)
Apr 11, 2000
Ireland
Visit site
Why don't you make Nerve gas grenades. It wouldn't destroy the turrets but get rid of the opponent. And if he's stupid enough to hang about........

------------------
"I feel I'm gettin' weaker, while Charlie's gettin' stronger in the jungle"

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
I don't know why everyone thinks dummy grenades are so much lighter than real ones. News flash: they're not. They lack the explosive, but are still weighted so they throw like the real grenade for training purposes. No point throwing a fake if the real one won't behave the same. Besides, dummies are always color coded differently to distinguish between a live and a fake:

g-Fig1-10.gif

g-Fig1-18.gif

While the above grenade isn't a dummy per se, it has no tactical value either.

While I too think it's an interesting idea, I doubt anyone would be scared of a blue grenade coming through the window followed by a puff of smoke and a tiny *pop*. Sorry guys.

------------------
Gryphon
Technical Advisor
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Read the Roadmap and the FAQ.
Get the latest scoop on Inf munitions here.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Your going to kill them with a practice grenade? What are you gonna do, just chuck it at his head really really hard? Like gryph said, the grenades are color coded to be easily distinguishable... if you want to take the area without destroying it, use a flashbang or CS gas, there's no reason to bring a dummy grenade into battle, you might as well just throw a rock at the enemy instead.