Infiltration single player?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I say yes! Playing infiltration with some single players missions would be awesome.

This is just a thought, and not a healthy normal thought at that, but I was thinking this:

Rather than doing your typical soldier of fortune deal, you could like make all these missions where you're an elite cat burglar/thief/hitman, and you do all these jobs for money. Some jobs you need to sneak into buildings undetected and steal documents, some jobs you need to assassinate somebody - all with the infiltration weapons... and you have to rely on stealth, making it more like an updated Thief: TDP.

I dunno... just picture a really cool disguised cat burglar skulking around a ten story office building, avoiding the security... and you have to go completely undetected, from security cameras and guards, and all that... all you can use are your wits and some stealth... or a mission where you assassinate some high profile guy in a motorcade with a Robar, and you have to make your escape from a rooftop and such...

I dunno what I'm talking about, I'm tired and its usually about now that I go to bed. But hey, it would be cool.

------------------
Cinema, simulated life and drama/Birthright, culture, Americana/
The change in adrenaline got you searchin' for/the thin line between entertainment and war
There be no shelter here/the front line is everywhere

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
1st:
Have you got to start every post with that angry smilie? It just doesn't let anybody know wether you're really fed up or just joking.

2nd:
I'd apprechiate such missions too, since I'm single player only - did I ever mention I got no web at home?
rolleyes.gif

I just don't know if it could be realized with the UT engine and script - with R6/RS it worked obviously, but UT is mainly multi-player based, though all players can be replaced by bots..

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
1: Yes. I must. Its not that I'm joking or that I am fed up, its a volatile mixture of both, usually that I'm bitter and sooner or later its going to manifest itself into some kind of insane rambling that you will re-read in the quiet corner of the place where you work or possibly your local library, and chuckle to yourself quietly, thinking "I hope I don't know this guy in real life, I don't want him to kill me one day."

Though in a rare break with tradition, I've used the "mildly happy" face instead.

So I guess the answer to that question is actually no...

2: UT still has the same scripting capabilites of Unreal, and they are even greatly enhanced with improved almost human like AI. You can have guards patrol floors of a building on a regular beat, you can even set up realistic elevators with a call button that travel multiple floors with a selectable floor system if you got into the scripting and movers and classes enough, and just paid attention to the little details and work-arounds...

Man, if I could find one coder, one mapper, and one skinner/modeller, I'd be a happy camper. I'd put together a little package and then release new missions whenever we could, getting together with me laying out the plot, and consulting with "the boyz" on it, checking its doability and working with them to get everything moving in sweet, sweet harmony.

Man, you gotta get a hook up at home... its like what, 10 to 35 bucks a month, depending on whether you want 56k, xDSL, or Cable?

------------------
Cinema, simulated life and drama/Birthright, culture, Americana/
The change in adrenaline got you searchin' for/the thin line between entertainment and war
There be no shelter here/the front line is everywhere

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I know, that it would be possible to guard floor etc, but is it also possible to make a mission fail as soon as you get spotted?

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PS: I don't think you'd going to kill anybody from this forum, if we knew you in real life. If you ever come to Austria let me know..

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm actually going to Germany and Austria on vacation soon. Britain, Amsterdam, Germany, Austria... its my "get all the foreign girls" trip. They just love foreign guys, especially if they look and talk like americans, but they're aren't.

As far as ending a mission when getting spotted, I'd think it would be possible, because all the bots have much improved AI over the ones in unreal (for example, in Unreal, a bot [monster] could only "hear" you if they had a direct LOS on you). In UT, however, they can hear you all around them, and will turn to look at you. Their LOS reacts to you, it reacts to the noise level you're making as well. So you can stealthily sneek up on a high-awareness, high-accuracy, godlike bot and kill them without them ever knowing what hit them. So I guess if the bots ever became visually aware of you, a mission-trigger could be activated so that you fail.

disturbed

Nov 10, 1999
www.research-center.org
As soon as I get my hands on this new Compaq laptop and a PC version of Unreal Tourney I'm gonna start working on this little mod for Infiltration that I've been developing in my head for quite some time. I have three concept sketches that I've been itching to make into UT maps. The first one is a cross between Canyon Siege for CS and the Surface level from Goldeneye. I'm also gonna dink around with bot AI and try to creat some type of co-op type mission mode. Like assault only slightly more intricate.

--
Jon Merriman
The Unofficial Mac Infiltration Tech Support type PR Rep Kind of Guy.

The Research Center: UT
The ORIGINAL Mac UT Site: http://www.research-center.org/

[This message has been edited by disturbed (edited 04-05-2000).]