A tip for Ued Newbies

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
Well, since I've had so much joy using this and since I can't imagine mapping without it, I thougt I'd post it so that anybody who doesn't know it already, can use it too !
==================

So what is IT ?

You can use mathematical operators when entering the dimensions of a brush in Ued. So instead of typing 768 you can type 256*3.
It's much easier this way, believe me. (also +,-,/ are ok !) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps you out a bit !

------------------
Name : Andirez

[This message has been edited by Andirez (edited 04-07-2000).]

bastard_o

Lead Designer
How about these...

Hi-Light a texture/poly [Alt_Right_Mouse_Click] to copy (also selects/high-lights the texture within the texture toolbox.)

Hi-Light another texture(s)/poly(s) [Alt_Left_Mouse_Click] to paste the copied texture.

Saves some time finding the texture within the texture toolbox.

Also these UnrealEd short_keys...

From a Tech_Doc UnrealEd.htm which I found somewhere.

Delete: Delete selected actors.
1, 2, 3: Slow, medium, and fast movement speed.
F1: Help.
F4: Actor properties.
F5: Surface properties.
F6: Level properties.
F7: Compile changed scripts.
F8: Rebuilder.
B: Toggle brush visibility in the current viewport.
H: Toggle actor visibility in the current viewport.
P: Toggle player controls or realtime update of the viewport.
Shift-A: Select all actors.
Shift-B: Select all surfaces belonging to the selected surfaces' brushes.
Shift-C: Select adjacent coplanar polygons.
Shift-D: Duplicate selected actors.
Shift-F: Select adjacent floors.
Shift-G: Select surfaces belonging to the selected surfaces' groups.
Shift-I: Select surfaces with items matching the selected surfaces' items.
Shift-J: Select all adjacent surfaces(flood-fill).
Shift-L: Look ahead in the current viewport (no pitch or roll).
Shift-M: Memorize selected surfaces.
Shift-N: Select none.
Shift-O: Select surfaces from intersection of selected surfaces and memory.
Shift-P: Select all surfaces.
Shift-Q: Reverse the set of selected surfaces.
Shift-R: Recall memorized surface selection.
Shift-T: Select all surfaces which use the current texture.
Shift-U: Select union of selected surfaces and memorized surfaces.
Shift-W: Select adjacent wall surfaces (flood-fill).
Shift-X: Select exclusive or of selected surfaces and memorized surfaces.
Shift-Y: Select adjacent slanted surfaces.
Shift-Z: Select none.
Ctrl-A: Add brush to world.
Ctrl-B: Load brush.
Ctrl-C: Copy.
Ctrl-D: Deintersect brush with world.
Ctrl-E: Save as.
Ctrl-L: Save level.
Ctrl-O: Load level.
Ctrl-P: Play level.
Ctrl-N: Intersect brush with world.
Ctrl-R: Redo.
Ctrl-S: Subtract brush from world.
Ctrl-V: Paste.
Ctrl-W: Duplicate.
Ctrl-X: Cut.
Ctrl-Z: Undo.

Bastard'O

[This message has been edited by bastard_o (edited 04-07-2000).]

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
Cool Bastard'o, I was searching for a "texture copy thing" like you just described. My texture browsing days are over ! I'm using Ued for quiet some time now and I really didn't know that one.

Can anybody get the 'memorize' and 'recall' function to work ? Tried it lots, never worked.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Andirez (edited 04-08-2000).]

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Couple of tips...common sense really, but don't have 2 (or more) semi's cutting into each other. Don't bother intersecting additive brushes when u can just make them semis.

If you're using custom textures, import them into the mylevel package you use for screenshots, makes everything much neater /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Oh, and dont forget to add detail-textures to your new textures.

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
uh, one more for good luck... always 'transform permanantly' if you've scaled/rotated yr brush

Oh feck it, one last one - use STAT GLOBAL instead of stat fps, it's far more precise

The Occlusion times must be kept below 7 if possible... zoneing levels properly reduces occlusion times (the stuff you can't see but the engine is still drawing)

bastard_o

Lead Designer
All cool advise @Kuma, some questions if I may...

When you say transform permanently what do you mean ?, Have I missed a menu for all these years... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I normally go to the trouble of always making a scaled brush (1,1,1) again by using intersection.. ie intersect an ADD with a scale (1,1,1) active brush makes a new active brush which the same as the ADDed brush but with a scale of (1,1,1), I do this because I have had lots of problems with bsp issues with brushes which are not (1,1,1). So now I don't have as many bsp issues to fix /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I tend to leave any rotation along, and reset my active brush all the time... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
Bastard'o, you can select "transform permantly" when you select a brush, right click on your mouse and go to the "transform" menu. I haven't used it though, but it makes perfect sense now. I tend to rotate brushes a lot and inherently that gives me problems sometimes. Using this, my guess is that they might be solved.

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
Ok, I've tried it out and it works perfect ! When you have a brush and you stretch it and afterwards want to rotate it, you see that Ued still wants to rotate the brush with its original dimensions (before you stretched it). If you select the transform permanently option right after you stretched, everything is fine when rotating !

Great tip @kuma, thanks alot!

------------------