Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Infiltration Development

Old 31st Oct 2000, 04:18 PM   #1
TerOmen

high res lighting

Pretty cool huh? heh

ctf-grandcanyon2 has ligting kinda like this on the insides of the buildings. But more low res to keep from swamping texture memory.

I'll put up a tut in a couple days for if anyone wants to know how to do it.
TerOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2000, 04:23 PM   #2
jackson6

*drooling*

jacksøn6
jackson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2000, 05:52 PM   #3
the real pacman
Gwen's my hoe

Do tell do tell....

I would love to be able to do that if you could post a tut it would be great.

Does it please you to oppress me,
to spurn the work of your hands,
while you smile on the schemes of the wicked?
Do you have eyes of flesh?
Do you see as a mortal sees?

--Job 11:3-4

Sometimes I feel like you want me to fail...

Pacman@planetunreal.com
the real pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2000, 07:24 PM   #4
bastard_o
Lead Designer

Cool stuff as usual dude...

I am just trying to work out how you did the shadows... in a small area..

I have used BIG lights before ie...

A single light source high up within your level to simulate the sun...

Brightness 255
Hue 15
Sat 230

Light radius 255

This gives good shadows, but if you have no ambient light the shadows are black so I have to put other normally configured lights around the shadow area to make the shadows have maybe 20% of the main light which would be the natural reflected ambient light off the surrounding surfaces...

But I expect those shadows are just textures... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Bastard'O
bastard_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2000, 11:40 PM   #5
TerOmen

Technicaly all lightmaps are textures.

But you mean you suspect it isn't part of the ut lighting, it is. I couldn't ever paint shadows that precise in photoshop [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's a lightmap detail trick I came up with.
Old 31st Oct 2000, 11:51 PM   #6
TerOmen

There'll also be a tut on adding good quality shadows to meshes in ut [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 1st Nov 2000, 02:37 PM   #7
Spooge
Digital Content Creator

What?

Sorry. but either everyone is missing something here or simply... I am. Would not be a first for me, but...

Dare I say it, that's not the UT engine that created those pics. I smell a rendering.

"ctf-grandcanyon2 has lighting kind of like this on the insides of the buildings. But more low res to keep from swamping texture memory"

Sounds to me like he is saying that his grandcanyon2 map will have lighting "like this" but lower res... so if that's the case it will still not look like those pics. if it did look that good then why not show the actual screens from inside of UT? Instead of a rendering using similar textures you might find in a UT map?

So the real question is... what application generated those pics, and don't say UT, I'm not that easily fooled. It has that look about it that screams MAX, although Lightwave could have done the job just the same.

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, so sorry if it looks that way, but I feel that TerOmen is misleading our troops a little here and it's simply not right. I know the UT engine well enough to know what it can (and can't) do when it comes to lighting... You all remember the Texas Bank map? I worked for hours trying to get the lighting to come even close to having ray traced shadows like that. Unreal simply does not have the engine for it, close, but not like you show it in those pics.

Please fess up, or prove me wrong. If I'm wrong... great! Since it would mean a new approach to my maps. But sorry, I have my doubts.

Come on in, sit down, let me take your head off!
Spooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2000, 08:20 PM   #8
TerOmen

High Shadow Detail Real World Map
Old 1st Nov 2000, 08:45 PM   #9
@kuma
Alienator

LOL nice one - but what happens when someone fires a gun near those ultra scaled-down, high-shadow-detail textures? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cute little demo, but I wouldn't advise using that for a real map.
@kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2000, 08:47 PM   #10
@kuma
Alienator

For anyone who doesn't get it, it's a matter of changing the textures 'drawscale' in it's properties so it's rendered larger than normal by the engine... but the lightmap size is unaffected.

Then all you do is scale the texture down, massively increasing the size of the lightmaps which gives you sharper shadows [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

edit: I did a SLOMO .1 and STATGLOBAL - when you fire a gun, the muzzleflash causes the Illum times jump to 40(!)

Only useful if you're playing with Dynamic lighting off (and own a 256 meg vid card...)

[This message was edited by @kuma on Nov 01, 2000 at 22:00.]
@kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2000, 09:00 PM   #11
TerOmen

That's 32x scale or something counting the high res lighting option.

Grandcanyon2 is 4x i believe, so it still has decent shadows, and all the outdoor shadows are painted on the textures so they look sharper too. But won't really have any impact on fps at all.
Old 1st Nov 2000, 11:15 PM   #12
Alpha_9
Infiltration lead level designer

Cool...

Here, I can verify that this is UT for real. Downloaded the map, started it up (please excuse the INF 2.75, I didn't want to wait the 2 mins it takes my machine to load 2.8), & took this screen. Even shot up the place to prove it's for real.

The only problem I saw was when firing, the dynamic lights cause some momentary but serious slow-downs. Probably the high-detailed light rendering that's going on because of the texture expansion/compression @kuma describes above.

Still, very innovative work, TerOmen! A scaled-down version of this should be very nice for a playable map!
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne
Alpha_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2000, 11:40 AM   #13
Spooge
Digital Content Creator

That tasted funny...

I went ahead and ate half my hat since I was proved wrong.. kinda of.

It is a cool trick, I only wish it was a more usable trick... but then again eating my whole hat would have made me sick as a dog, so I should be happy.

Come on in, sit down, let me take your head off!
Spooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2000, 11:54 AM   #14
jackson6

lol spooge.

you eat it plain?

jacksøn6
Old 2nd Nov 2000, 02:41 PM   #15
TerOmen

I get great framerates with shadows like this, the city map was an extreme case scenario.
This is still a lot better for mappers than having hardly any shadows at all.

The sunlight is coming in on this building so it has a lot better shadows than the other building shot i took in that other post.

Only problem someone pointed out to me is it takes a lot more work in ued than regular lighting, and some people won't like that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 2nd Nov 2000, 02:49 PM   #16
jackson6

i agree, it looks great. but if it's a lot harder than regular lighting, count me out... i'm just a rookie here.

"rally round the family
with a pocket full of shells"

jacksøn6
Old 3rd Nov 2000, 12:35 AM   #17
the real pacman
Gwen's my hoe

Man I have to start mapping on a regular basis, you guys have some nice stuff...

Sometimes I feel like you want me to fail...

Pacman@planetunreal.com
the real pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2000, 03:36 PM   #18
Alpha_9
Infiltration lead level designer

My own rough attempt...

Here's my attempt at hi-res lighting in UT. It's a little rougher than TerOmen's refined example, but at least I was able to reproduce the technique. It's really not that hard, just a few extra steps in exporting & re-importing the pcx files & getting the right texture properties set. The UED light renderer takes care of the rest. I used 32x expansion/contraction, though I suspect w/ my smaller geometry it would have looked better w/ 64x.
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne
Alpha_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2000, 07:58 PM   #19
bastard_o
Lead Designer

Hummm, nice job 1001, I must try this for myself, but from what ppl are saying is the fps hit that bad, can you restrict the effect to small well definded area so the whole level isn't slowed down..

Bastard'O
bastard_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2000, 09:49 PM   #20
Evil Joe
I Will Kill You

This is a pretty cool effect. I'm going to have to experiment with this... in the very least it will be great to use if you wanted to make good looking stills
Evil Joe is offline   Reply With Quote