News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic > Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting

Old 11th May 2001, 07:25 AM   #1
Lyverbe

Unhappy

I've equipped myself in video editing in both hardware and software. Ever since, Unreal Tournament is still working, but it takes *forever* to load. A good 5 minutes before I get the main menu.

All other applications/games are unaffected by this hardware change. I've tried reinstalling UT from scratch with patch 436, scandisk'ed HD for errors, defragmented... but I get the same result.

CPU: P3-600
RAM: 64mb
Video: ATI Rage Pro + Voodoo 2
Sound: SoundBlaster AWE64
(it all worked fine with this setup previously anyway)

New IDE controller: Maxtor Ultra ATA 100 PCI
New HD: Maxtor 30.7gb, 7200rpm
New software: Adobe Premiere 6.0
New DirectX: 8.0a with DV patch (8.0dba)

I think that's pretty much it.
Help!
Lyverbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2001, 07:52 AM   #2
B
Bee

Quote:
I've equipped myself in video editing in both hardware and software
Then why is there only 64Mb in ur machine? (which could also be causing tremendous loading times)
Old 11th May 2001, 08:30 AM   #3
Swedix
Retired from UT2004

yep, 64 Mb is not much. You should get at least 64 Mb more.
Also check if you have a any programs running in the background. Run msconfig to check it out. Go here and check what programs you can disable from startup.
Set your virual memory to the same value at min/max.
Defrag your harddirve.

You can find some tweak for Win ME here

Download my filemanager for UT2004, UT2004Mi
Swedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2001, 12:00 PM   #4
Lyverbe

Like I said, I had 64mb before and it was working perfectly fine. The UT requirement is 32mb, so 64mb should be more than enough (maybe not for DV editing, but that's another subject ). I seriously doubt that lack of RAM is causing this.

...but I did change the virtual memory settings to work on my new HD. Perhaps that did screw something up. I'll have to try setting it back to what it was.

I will also check the suggested links and see if it will help. I'll let you know.
Old 12th May 2001, 07:49 AM   #5
Lyverbe

I've tried everything mentionned. Nothing works. Unreal Tournament still takes a huge amount of time to load. When looking at the HD LED, it indicates that the HD is working a lot, yet the head seems to barely move. I can't blame a corruted file since I reinstalled from scratch and scandisk didn't report anything wrong.

In my system info, I forgot to mention that I have an ADS Pyro Basic Firewire card, not that it should matter.

I don't know what else to try. I want to play Unreal Fortress bad
Old 12th May 2001, 12:53 PM   #6
Lyverbe

Exclamation Network issue?

I've started the .exe with "-log" to show me the log window while UT loads. The delay happens here:

Log: Bound to Fire.dll
Log: Bound to IpDrv.dll
< Long delay here of a couple of minutes >
Log: Game class is 'UTIntro'
Log: Level is Level Entry.MyLevel

I wonder if it's this IpDrv.dll thing. What is it actually doing between IpDrv.dll and "Game class is 'UTIntro'"? I've tried updating my SMC 1208 network card driver and disable my firewall, but without any luck.

Any other help?
Old 13th May 2001, 03:44 AM   #7
BIG.GUN

Arrow

I think that is where that stupid intro map loads. To just get the logo to come up, instead of that intro movie, open your UnrealTournament.ini file that is in UnrealTournament\System folder. Open it with Notepad. The first section looks like this, except I have changed the map to the logo map, instead of the intro movie. :

[URL]
Protocol=unreal
ProtocolDescription=Unreal Protocol
Name=Player
Map=Index.unr
LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map.unr
Host=
Portal=
MapExt=unr
SaveExt=usa
Port=7777
Class=Botpack.TMale1

This is the line that is changed :

LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map.unr

Make yours look like this, then select File, then Save, to change it. You may want to copy the original UnrealTournament.ini to a backup folder before you modify it, just to be safe. All my friends have made this change, and the game loads much faster. You may have to sit at the logo a few seconds before hitting the Esc key will bring up the menu bar for UT, but its much faster. Hope this helps.

I have DirectX 7. I heard 8 may cause problems, not sure, though.

PS- Get more ram, its really cheap right now and it will make a big difference for everything. In one game I jumped almost 10fps when I went from 128K to 256K. The 128K ram cost me about $90 US.

Last edited by BIG.GUN; 13th May 2001 at 03:50 AM.
BIG.GUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2001, 11:52 AM   #8
Lyverbe

That has been done a long time ago. Getting rid of the intro movie was one of the first thing I did.

As for DirectX 8.0, the UT Tweak Guide (http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/ut/index.shtml) suggests to install DirectX 8.0. I don't see why it would cause a problem at that particular point in the loading process, but it is nevertheless a possibility.

If only one other application/game would be doing this, I could try to see what's common between the two to do this. UT is the only one.
Old 15th May 2001, 12:14 PM   #9
Swedix
Retired from UT2004

What have you changed on your PC since the last time UT run well? You say: "I've equipped myself in video editing in both hardware and software."
And did you run WinME before too?
Make sure you have the right drivers for your AWE64. I know that there are 3 different versions of that card.

Download my filemanager for UT2004, UT2004Mi
Swedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2001, 07:24 PM   #10
BIG.GUN

Arrow

Well then, I think that all the new video software and hardware may be taxing your 64MB RAM and causing the delay, but the only way to find out for sure is to buy more RAM, which will only help you out anyway.

Good luck, I can't think of anything else that would do that, unless maybe some software driver for your new video stuff is conflicting with the game for some reason.
BIG.GUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2001, 06:44 AM   #11
Lyverbe

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys. If I do ever find the way to fix the problem, I'll let you know.
Old 17th May 2001, 11:25 PM   #12
Tylerabe

Lightbulb Well......

If you loaded UT before with only 64mb of memory running WinME then it must be the video editing in both hardware and software that is the problem, but WinME is a memory Hog and if you did an upgrade from Win98SecEd to ME then that is your problem! Get more Memory!
Old 18th May 2001, 07:16 AM   #13
Crager
Ahh...just a player here

Using McAfee and checking resources win me takes up about 37 megs of ram when you first boot up and get going. With only 64 megs there's not much left to do other things.

Try cacheman from here http://www.tweakfiles.com/memory/cacheman.html

This utility might help until you add more ram.
Crager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2001, 11:49 AM   #14
Lyverbe

Remember me?

I went from 64mb to 320mb. Still no luck. I knew it wasn't a RAM problem!

Just thought I'd let you guys know