I am an ex-UTer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
Thats right folks, you heard me right. I am an ex-UTer. Before ya'll start flaming me and telling me I suck and that I am crazy please listen to one man's journey through the land of fps and how I ended up where I am at present.

I am an old fps gamer(37)from the days of wolfenstein and doom. I have played a majority of fps over the years even extreme paintball (god it sucked), so I feel I am qualified to comment on fps from a consumer's point of view.

I started out playing the early fps and graduated to Q1, Q2, H/L, Hexen2, Heretic2, etc., until UT came out. I remember the first time I played the coret demo. It was like a breath of fresh air. God I loved it and I played that damn demo for hours on end until the full game came out in late November 1999.

I then played the full game all the way through to the end and started on multiplayer. I played all of the DM and CTF maps and I fell in love with a couple of them, mainly facing worlds and lava giant. They were awesome and I played all of them until around February 1, 2000.

Then one day my wife bought Q3A for me and I remember cussing when I saw the box because to be honest I never liked Q1 or Q2 alot and I was very negative towards id software and the type of games they put out. Anyway, I loaded up the game and started playing and I hated it!!!! I thought it was just like the other quake games. Not so pretty and it takes a space shuttle to run it. So I went back to UT and continued playing it for a few more weeks before I found myself bored to death when playing. My mind would start drifting and next thing I knew I would be dead.

So I decided to start Q3A back up and play it for a change of tempo. At first I was being owned because of the speed and fast pace of the game. I wasn't use to it. Then for some unknown reason when it came to game time I would always pick Q3A over UT. I didn't fight myself I just let myself pick the game and it started being Q3A over UT. I found myself suprised by my decision and I started thinking about why I would do such a thing. The graphics in UT are nicer and the maps are nicer so why would I pick to play Q3A over UT. Then it became clear to me. The graphics and maps are nicer in UT, but Q3A has the gameplay that is very addicting. It faster, harder. The players in Q3A are ruthless and in the long run that makes me a better player. Its more of an experience than a game.

This last week I went back to play UT and to me it was so slow. I found myself getting very perturbed because of the slowness of the game. It was like visiting an old friend. Things just weren't the same anymore...kinda sad. I still think that UT is the prettier of the two games, but after spending numerous hours playing both games and IMHO when it comes to gameplay and the experience, unfortunately, Q3A wins hands down.

Alot of people will respond to this post with flames and insults and that doesn't bother me. Please be aware that I feel UT is a more polished game with a better GUI and varied gameplay, but in the gameplay department Q3A rulez. There is no competition. Sorry UT, I love ya, but I gotta go where my heart is.

------------------
Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?-Galatians 4:16

[This message has been edited by Cebu (edited 03-06-2000).]

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion - even when its wrong /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif
If you're going to be insulted it'll be by the wAr3Z kIddiez who are all bitter and twisted that they haven't been laid yet /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

To quote Ali G. "Boyakasha. Ride the Punani"

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
Hey its up to you I think Quake 3 and UT are about the same i like them both Maybe UT a bit more but i respect you Cebu.
P.S nice name Psychomoggiebagpus

bullet2.gif

"The're out ta get me, they won't catch me I'm f*cking innocent"--Out Ta get me, Guns n Roses

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

Cheers.

"Man who walk with butterfly, often have vewy small wings" - Ancient Chinese Proverb

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
If gameplay, speed, and "ruthlessness" are things you missed in your UT-games you were definately playing against the wrong people.

I am, or rather was, a die hard Quake2 player. I don't really like the graphics, but as you said, it's fast and cool. But UT does not miss these aspects. It's the players that make the game.

UT is still crowded with newbees who can't really fight a decent match. That's probably your problem. I sometimes have that same problem, but I know where to find a server with good players on them.

Greetzz,

[WMD]Claymore

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
There is nothing wrong or bad about Q3. (UT is just better /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif) To each his own opinion. Mine is: Q3 is a good shooter, but really weak on CTF. Since I'm primarily a team/CTF player, I play more UT.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Isn't this at least the second time you've posted the same thing, Cebu? If you don't like UT anymore...fine. What's the point of coming here to tell us about it?

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
The only bad things I could honestly say about Q3 was that it seemed half-baked, as I am sure a much better product would have been the result if they's just spent a little more time with it. I felt that I had paid $50 for Q3Test with 2 more wepons and a few more levels.

This seems to the trend in software companies today, to rush it in order to meet a release date, and then start writing patches galore afterwards.

Both Epic and id had good starting positions: id coming from a strong background as the undisputed king of the 3d shooter, and brand new engine technology, with Epic using a battle-proven engine and new powerful AI.

I think id just dropped the ball in a mad rush for power. I'm interested to see what happens when another company licenses the Q3 engine and then puts their heart and soul into the project. I think there will be some good games in the future. That's my 2 cents.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Well, since you said "I know everyone will flame me" no-one actually has. It's like writing to a magazine and saying "I bet you won't print this letter." So it's time to fill the gap...

Q3 SUCKS! UT RULES!

Q3 really needs that speed, cause otherwise you'd play it for long enough to see how crap the unvaried DM is (4 CTF levels? Hardeharhar), the over-abundance of bounce pads because the designers found it too complicated to build lifts and stairways, the weapons that have all been in other ID games from Doom upwards (apart from the Fingernail Cutter you get as a pathetic excuse for a close combat weapon), etc., etc...

"But look at the graphics!" I hear you cry. But it's the same futuristic/religious/both in an almighty mess brilliant graphics over and over and over again...

"And the model variety!" Yeah! The campers that choose a really small model that's hard to see are back! BOOYAKA! Yeah right.

Overall, if you want Quake 3, just buy Quake 2, turn up the sv_maxplayerspeed variable and get a single-player game thrown in.

Uh-oh, I can see the forum moderator's hand of God descending on me... /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

If anyone discovers what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

Otter

Feb 8, 2000
www.splatts.com
I love UT kewl game! q3 is oky, not as good as q2 even tho the graphics are way better but game play in q2 just rocks. Gotta love the arena! Im still railing to this day
one day UT next q2 arena

does it get any better? lol

bullet2.gif

If the boss was to catch me, would i still have a job?

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
That was something I hadn't mentioned...I kinda felt cheated out of my weapons....I believe the grenade launcher has half the range of Q2's, forcing you to aim twice as high..... railgun in Q3 is damn near useless compared to Q2... and the BFG is now a camper's dream weapon.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

trinity

Noli me tangere
Jan 3, 2000
Southern California
i happen to like both games. i started out hating quake3, but when i started to acatually play it alot(because UT gives me a s****y ping rate and q3a doesnt), i realized its a good game too. i personally think UT rocks, and is a much better game. but hey, the less you play ut, the better chance for me to kick your butt in quake!!

bullet2.gif

"And since I am the ranking officer on this ship, if you don't like it, you can go to hell."

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
Why don't u just climb back into the festering pit of **** that u came from, cebu. Q3, huh! Q3 is all curves and flashy graphics and effects but in the end is a hollow experience. The last boss, Xaero, provides no challenge whatsoever as long as u stay on the opposite side of the level as him, which isn't that hard to do.

bullet2.gif

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when
a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

BeerGun

consultant in beerology
Feb 2, 2000
Toronto area
Visit site
Had to uninstall Q3, made my processor throw up. Love UT, and Q2 as well.
If someone makes a Q2 jail1(maingate) conversion map for UT, I'll use it to maim all of you. But of course, I mean that in a good way .. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

soon the gypsy queen, in a glaze of vaseline, will perform on guillotine, what a scene.. what a scene.. E.L.P.

[This message has been edited by BeerGun (edited 04-05-2000).]

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Q3 also sucks because you have to wait forever for the whole serve list to load up.... you can't use favorites, and you can't refresh one server at a time, like you could even do back in Tribes, and you can in UT.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

ATP

Mar 11, 2000
atpmusic.tripod.com
I don't know about Q2 as a multi player game (since I didn't have a modem when I played it), but IMHO the game sucked in single player, with a color setting that made me dizzy and having to walk back and forth between levels etc.

I think Q1 is the best of the three where single player gameplay is concerned. Ok, the graphics suck compared to (for example) UT, but don't forget a couple of years have passed since Q1 was released.

I really loved Q1 (as well as Wolf3d and Doom), and I remember with fondness the LAN matches I used to play with my comrades on a crappy 486 /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
I think that q3 doesn't suck. but it doesn't rock ether. The worst part of the game are the system requierments. i've got a p233 and ut still runs smootly where q3 starts to stutter.

But on the other hand the grafics that the q3 engine can produce are outstanding.
You can disagree whit me but look at some pics from ravensofts Startrek Voyager:elite force.:rolleyes: The grafics realy rock.

This is the url http://www.ravensoft.com/eliteforce/images.shtml

i know some of the models they display suck but as a voyager fan i don't care 'cus the do look like the originale caracters.

bullet2.gif

THiS iS THe WoRD FRoM THE GReaT HeLL BRiNGeR

[This message has been edited by CaSCaDe (edited 04-07-2000).]

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Never played Q3A but if the skill is anything like Q2, well...
Haven't played online yet (Q2) so I haven't had the chance to be owned. It has been proven that practice makes perfect and in my opinion the difficulty is much harder in UT than Q2. Then this post really has no point if the two are completely different (Q2, Q3A)
but hey man, if that's what you like, fine.
it's all part of human nature to have preferences. the only flaming I have is for anyone that feels they need to argue about what your likes and dislikes are. If it makes you happy that's all that matters...
bah-*reverts back to normal self*
Still, I give you a month and you'll be crawling back on your hands and knees begging for some real action.

bullet2.gif

No thanks... I've already had my *** handed to me today.

Xiphias

Mar 16, 2000
Visit site
Didn't anyone mention the variable speed settings in UT? I think a Godlike Instagib is pretty fast too...

bullet2.gif

Your family tree needs trimming.