Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > New Version Suggestions

Old 23rd Apr 2001, 08:38 AM   #1
Elite_Soldier
-Malice-

I am sure this topic has been brought up many times, but I was just curious myself...

There should be body armor in Infiltration. It would have to be very realistic, and shouldn't allow you to carry 2+ grenades on you, as the body armor covers the many pockets on military uniforms. Of course it would only protect from weaker weapons, like sub machine guns using the 9mm, or some pistols, but it would be helpful for some players, especially in close quarters. Assault rifles should cut righ through, and sniper rifles shouldn't even be debated.

The only problem here is shotguns; does anybody havea reasonable suggestion for them? THe body armour will easily stop the slugs from getting through, but what about impact? Does anybody think it should do more or less damage?

Any additions/ideas/criticisms welcomed.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Elite_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2001, 09:35 AM   #2
Dr.Dase

You can usually carry your LBE over the body armor, i have a swedish flakjacket, and i can fit my LBE over it easily, so you can carry ammo and grenades as usual, even though you get a impaired by the vest, because you loose a lot of agility.

Good vests stop rifle calibre weapons, the more powerful vests stop 7.62mm NATO (not sure what levels, i think level 4 stops 7.62mm). These vests (not sure what make though) can have just kevlar type material in them, or kevlar plus metal plates, such as titanium or steel. These stop bullets great, but have the problem that they might deform the bullet, and thus if it penetrates deals more damage than it would undeformed. But still, the armor might stop the penetration, but this much energy on one small spot might cause internal damage, mostly on the soft typ vests. This damage can be enough to kill you, even without penetration, especially from high powered rifle rounds.

I would love to see different forms of body armor, the rigid types adding a lot of encumbrance because of weight and loss of agility.

Also, the main use of vests is to deflect shrapnel, because shrapnel is usually low penetrative, and a major cause of casualties on modern battlefields, small arms actually causes very few casualties compared to artillery, and casualties due to support weapons, machine guns and similar.
Dr.Dase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2001, 09:49 AM   #3
The_Fur
Back in black

-provides more protection than level III (NIJ);
-protects against .308 Winchester, .223 Remington, and also against Kalashnikov AK-47 automatic gun (bullet with steel heat treated core), (11.2sq.dm);
-peripheral protection against .44 Magnum (SWC / lead bullet), 9mm Parabellum (WMR / WK) (28.3sq.dm);
-protection against cut and thrust weapons ( 34 sq.dm);
-removable steel inserts;
-certified to protection level 6 (CEN) by TNO Prins Maurits Laboratory (Netherlands)

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2001, 10:45 PM   #4
Elite_Soldier
-Malice-

Post Level 4

Im am guessing that most of the armor in the game should easily protect against shrapnel from grenades (well, maybe not as much for level 1). If level 4 body armor was implemented, than there would be alot more marksmanship on serversm rather than simple rushing.

Also, while on the topic of body armor, why not make the helmets actually do something
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Old 24th Apr 2001, 07:58 AM   #5
Kisen_K
S&M Airlines

Yeah, maybe make the "helmet" face buyable. I don't know what kind of protection this would give, I guess it would protect you atlest from knifes (not in the face though )
Old 24th Apr 2001, 09:00 AM   #6
poaw
You used to sleep easy at night.

I heard from a friend that a 5.7mm round has more penetration than a 7.62mm round. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm/deny this?
poaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2001, 09:32 AM   #7
The_Fur
Back in black

the 5.7 is made specifically to penetrate armor so it wouldn't be surprising if it was.

SS190
The SS190 is the 5.7x28 mm Ball round. Its projectile will perforate any individual protection on today's battlefield including the PASGT kevlar helmet, 48 layers of kevlar body armor and the CRISAT target (titanium and kevlar). The SS190's conventional design allows it to be manufactured on existing production lines, and its lead-free composition eliminates range contamination.

didn't have time to check for the 7.62nato

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2001, 10:03 AM   #8
HanD_of_DarKNesS
Evil Bastard

From discussions on the old forum, armour is in the works (otherwise the Five-seveN and P90 would be somewhat pointless).

The plan (as I remember) is for 3 types of armour to be available. These will all be purchaseable through the loadout, and will increase your bulk an appropriate degree. their protection will be given in a realistic manner, so both front and back will have seperate damage counters, and if you get hit, the armour itself will weaken in a realistic manner (for example, a large calibre shattering a cyramic armour plate, will render that plate nearly ineffective).

A comment from any team members would be appreciated.

Producer/Editor/Owner: Dark Side Productions
Creator of: ORION
HanD_of_DarKNesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2001, 06:16 PM   #9
Xenomorph
Death Incarnate

It's already been talked about (I started a thread on it a while back), and I believe their answer was yes. They've just been busy doing other stuff right now.
Old 24th Apr 2001, 09:11 PM   #10
R-Force
(IF)

For about every type of ammos, there is an Armor piercing variant... An AP variant always have much more penetration than the standard bullets, but need to get through armor to do maximum damage (due to bullet deformation)... AP bullets just get through unarmored target inflicting mininal damage (you need a lot of luck or a lot of ammos to do serious damage this way...).

I hope they will implement alternate types of ammos (i guess they will, the old roadmap have this planned).
R-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2001, 11:11 PM   #11
Elite_Soldier
-Malice-

Cool...

... but does that mean we won't see the Five_SeVen and Fnp90 until body armour is available?

And I am not so sire about this, but do they do less damage then ordinary bullets to human flesh (due to mass?)
Old 25th Apr 2001, 05:24 AM   #12
Dr.Dase

The 5.7x28mm cartridge is designed to deal maximum damage, and yet be high penetrative against body armor, and low penetrative against walls, overpenetrating bodies etc, to be safe to use in a law enforcement eviroment. To obtain this, the bullet is front heavy, and is thus unstable, when it hits flesh, it tumbles to deal maximum damage, and if it overpenetrates, it deals minimum damage to targets behind the original target, and if it hits walls, it will probably not penetrate, and if it does, it tumbles and deals little damage (compared to regular FMJ pistol rounds).
Old 25th Apr 2001, 05:45 AM   #13
DredDamo
<? l337 php RealMaps c0d0r ?>

So...

the Five-seveN and the FN90 will:

Penetrate walls not as much as everything else, and deal little damage on exit.

Damage flesh possibly slightly less than other (due to power, even despite tumbling) weapons.

Once armour is implemented be much more useful but in no way less so before armour.

And for Elite, those two FN weapons are planned for next release 2.86, anyway - despite the fact armour's not in yet, so don't worry

Fun fun fun!

[L]-Damodred

---
RealMaps Admin / MapHaxx0r Extraordinaire / PHP Fanboy
www.damodred.net | realmaps.beyondunreal.com | www.zengamer.com
---
Teh Vedder - I kinda like being editor... maybe I'll recruit a bunch of monkeys to my bidding er reviews and I'll edit them to perfection muwhaha
DredDamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2001, 12:09 PM   #14
Dr.Dase

Well, the P90 and Five-SeVeN pistol has high capacity and low recoil, and would be much useful even without body armor. The P90 is capable of putting a whole magazine continous auto fire in a 10 inch cirlce at about 50 yards, this is extremely good recoil characteristics, and this could make it very good indeed. (these figures are from a review, i'll post URL if i find it)
Old 25th Apr 2001, 05:56 PM   #15
ShakKen
Specops Spook

A skilled operator can do below 10 inch full auto groups at 50m with ease using an MP5 as well as even other older SMGs. You'll forgive me if If I'm not terribly impressed.
Old 25th Apr 2001, 06:06 PM   #16
poaw
You used to sleep easy at night.

Just for the sake of knowing, when would you ever need to fire full auto into a 10 inch diameter target?
poaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2001, 06:55 PM   #17
DarkBls
Inf Ex-admin

If you really hate your ennemy and want to feed his face with lead !

-New to Infiltration? Check out the Official Infiltration FAQ and Member's Infiltration FAQ.
DarkBls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2001, 11:21 PM   #18
Elite_Soldier
-Malice-

Another question from an idiot

Does the P90 have tha ability to pierce level 4 body armour?
Old 26th Apr 2001, 12:59 AM   #19
ShakKen
Specops Spook

Not likely. I doubt that the 5.7mm round can pierce a ballistic plate. Perhaps at close range. But at +/-350Joules of energy my expectations aren't all that high.

9mm Arcane goes though ballistic plates with ease. Though it'll trash the breech and barrel of most SMGs.
Old 26th Apr 2001, 04:24 AM   #20
Cardinal
Gun Enthusiast

No, I can't ever imagine the P90 penetrating Level IV armor. Level IV is rated to stop .30-06 AP rounds at 2850 fps. It should also stop 5.56 M995 AP which has a higher velocity than the 5.7mm rounds...
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote