Weird *** General Protection Fault! Help!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JF

Nov 13, 1999
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
Can someone help me?? This is the error I get when I start up UnrealED:
General protection fault!
History: UEditorEngine::FinishAllSnaps <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP GRID X=16 Y=166 Z=16 BASE=ABSOLUTE SHOW2D=ON SHOW3D=OFF) <- WM_USER_EXEC <- VbWindowProc <- glxDetectOutput <- UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Init <- UEngine::Init <-UEditorEngine::InitEditor <-UEditorEngine::Init <-InitEngine

Any ideas??????

Bishop

I had the same problem ages ago. I believe your best bet is to do as follows:
1.Create an Unreal editor shortcut on your desktop(If you havent already).
2.Right click on the Unreal editor icon
3.Select properties
4.Under "target" write this line of code-
C:\Unreal\System\UnealEd.exe -nosound
5.Be sure that theres a space between "exe" and "-" or it wont let you edit the target.

The only downside to this fix is that it doesnt allow you to hear the audio you place within the game while editing.
Hope that does the trick.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Use -nodsound instead. This is a better fix as it allows you to still be able to hear the sounds from within UnrealEd.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
-nosound
Disables sound altogether.

-nodsound
Disables DirectSound forcing Windows to use a software sound rasterizer. Eats some more CPU usage but is generally the most stable.

PTQ

Apr 3, 2000
Visit site
I know this is old news, but I just began getting the same general protection fault. I could only trace it back to when I installed the new V3 drivers and LiveWare 3.0. I uninstalled the new V3 drivers and Unreal and wiped out the Unreal folder. I then reinstalled the older V3 drivers and reinstalled Unreal with the 225 patch, and I still had the same problem. I suspect the 225 patch does not work well with the LiveWare 3.0 drivers. By the way I do not get the fault when I used older Unreal patches such as 219.

OK

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
PTQ, sounds like a conflict between those components. Try installing one at a time and see if it works.

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

PTQ

Apr 3, 2000
Visit site
I went to my other computer to run unrealed which I have not done in a while just to see if the machine displays the same fault. It sure does. This other computer is using a V2 card and a generic 3D soundblaster compatible sound card. So apparently the fault has nothing to do with the cards. The only other common thing that has been installed on both systems are the DirectX and Win98 updates. I also added -nodsound to both systems and now it works. I am just wondering if the most recent DirectX from MS is having a conflict with patch225. Four systems have experienced this problem in this thread, so there is a definite problem with directsound.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Actually it was an incompatiblity problem between UnrealEd and damn near every sound card driver out there. The problem was fixed though afterwards but they just never released a patch for Unreal and moved on through to UT.