News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Original Unreal Tournament

Old 7th Feb 2001, 10:39 AM   #1
Saumil
Average

I want a sniper zoom script for use with weapons other than the Sniper Rifle. Does UT read an autoexec.cfg like file that Quake games do, so that I can put in all my scripts in there? If so, how do I create one?
Saumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2001, 10:47 AM   #2
Kokensu
Fire in Ma Belly!

You'd have to write a mod/mutator to do that. I think it's already been done.

Ignorance is bliss. Until you realize just how ignorant you are.
----------
"We are destined to gain knowledge from our wildest dreams, as deep as an ocean, as calm as a forest tree, my soul...is at last free...." - LTJ Bukem
Kokensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2001, 11:12 AM   #3
Hugh Jorgan
Experienced

I've seen the mutator... It's not of much use though. Try searching the modsquad site for the d/l. The weapon you want to use a scope on (sniper rifle) already has one. The IG enhanced shock w/scope is a lot of fun, but not available in regular play anyway. Putting a scope on the snotgun won't help you much... lol!

If you wanted to do this without a published, distributed, auto-downloaded mutator (like using your own script) - It would be a cheat, IMO. Either the whole server has it available, or only the llama..

FWIW, I've seen that you can could change your FOV on some servers, at one time (I think it needs to be enabled by the admin now??) that can give you a bit of zoom-like ability. In case you were wondering, that's cheating too, IMO.

Some IG servers I play on have an auto-death zoom, complete with a broadcast message something like "player X has died from attempting to zoom the enhanced shockrifle". They usually leave the server right away when the cheat doesn't work and the rest of us rag on him...

Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2001, 11:14 AM   #4
Insecta
Insectacidal

If you want to zoom with other weapons, type "fov x" in the console. X is 90 by default, and I think the sniper zooms in to about 10. Make an alias that changes the fov in and out for you... I use.

(command="fov 10 | OnRelease fov 90",Alias=ZoomInOut)

Put it on a useful key, and zoom away. There are a few older servers that still let you do this, but you can always do it offline. It is pretty useless with most weapons anyway, and it's not really anything someone with a big screen and high resolution couldn't do. Works well with Instagib, Shock Rifle and Minigun though, and spying on the enemy. It's not a big advantage online anyway... It hasn't turned me into anything better anyway on the one server that uses it... not with a 56k.
Insecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2001, 11:41 AM   #5
Tetris L
Smartass

Since such zooms are considered cheating by most people, the FOV command is disabled online per default. And very few server admins change that.

Previously it was possible to bypass this FOV limitation by use of the SET command, but Epic plugged that hole with patch 432.

No more zooming with any weapon except Sniper Rifle.