News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic > Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting

Old 3rd Jan 2000, 05:34 PM   #1
SMG

Question

My system specs:
AMD K6-2 3DNOW
128MB RAM
Voodoo Banshee card(latest Driver)
Soundblaster Live!

I enjoy playing Unreal Tournament, but by now the framerate is dropping under 16 fps and then it is nearly unplayable. Is this normal!?
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2000, 05:51 PM   #2
raydioactive

I would say yes it does sound about right as the amd does not have the required oomph in the floating point department and the unreal engine is very cpu dependant. Dont know what graphics settings you're using, but if you open the console with the ~ key, type preferences and hit return, this will give you the advanced options.Go to the rendering section and then select 3dfx glide support, here you can change to false a few things to help give a few more fps.just experiment. Hope this helps.
raydioactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2000, 03:49 AM   #3
szabes

I would think you have somtehing wrong.The low sounds about correct but I have a simalar system with that would put the highs in the 40's.It averages about 28fps.
Try shutting off lighting effects(the banshee does not pull it off anyway) go with medium textures.What speed is the cpu?

To know me is to tolerate me ;{p>
szabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2000, 11:54 AM   #4
Rooster
Local Legend

Lightbulb

You can enable the "Minimum Frame rate desired" option. I find this works really well. I just set mine to 30.

That way it's pretty when it's not REALLY hectic... and who's looking at scenery when their's a 10 player Frag-fest going on?!
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2000, 03:32 PM   #5
Space Cruz

You may need to optimize.

I get an average of 27? FPS w/ highs at 50 and lows at 16 or so w/ AMD K-6II 450, 128 RAM, and a 16MB ATI Rage 128, but the game is never near unplayable.

I've found the preference and console changes don't effect much without drastic changes ("no lighting", ie...) at which point it looks like you're playing Doom again, so what's the point?

My biggest increase has come from tweaking minimum desired framerate to 40-50 FPS or so. You'll actually only get near this number during the game, but gameplay runs supersmooth for me, and as someone already mentioned, who's looking at the lights during a free-for-all frag fest?
Space Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote