News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 8th Nov 2000, 09:39 PM   #1
Kray
Time chaser

I'm trying to create some custom objects. According to Wolf's Tutorials (and a few others), one way of doing this is to use the SKEW BUTTON, but I can't find it anywhere. I did a search on this forum, no answer, but I got this:

Quote:
Forget brush skewing for the moment,most people just don't use it. - TaoPaiPai
Ok, what's the alternative then?

My second question - how do I delete a brush from the 2D view? I tried pressing <del>, right click -> Delete and even Menu/Edit/Cut, but the (red) brush won't disappear! If I duplicate a brush, I can delete the duplicated brush using the <del> key, but not the original. Thx.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2000, 02:05 AM   #2
ZodiaK
irresponsible walrus

Thumbs up

you probably want to use brush clipping. you can't find the skew button because it's not there anymore in Ued2 .

brush clipping's an easy way to quickly make irregular shapes. you just set clip markers to your builder brush (the red one) -or any brushes either added or substracted- to establish a line which cuts a slice from the brush, then hit the 'clip selected brushes to perform the operation. it's a bit complicated to explain, but experimenting should quickly show you what's up with this.

don't forget to rebuild your level if you cut any adds/substracts with this method, or you won't see the changes in your 3d view. (as you probably know you always need to rebuild when for example deleting brushes from the 2d views - unless you haven't yet rebuilt at all). rebuild often, save often.

as for the second question, you can't delete the red brush. it's the brush you use to make the actual geometry brushes, by adding or substracting to/from the world --- so the red brush doesn't actually show up anywhere in the game. hope it helps.
ZodiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2000, 06:21 AM   #3
Phragmites

yeah, brush clipping is good. one more tip, though. if you rotate the red brush, add it and then try to clip the added brush, it wont clip where you expect it to. you have to 'transform permanently' any rotated brush for the clipping to work properly.

- P

www.blitzen.demon.co.uk
Phragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2000, 11:16 AM   #4
Aphex

SAVE YOUR MAP before you mess with clipping - it's easy to crash UnrealEd with this function!
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2000, 11:33 AM   #5
ChrisToth.hu
Level Designer

You cannot delete the red brush cause its your builder brush. That will NOT appear in the game. That's the shape what you can change and then you can add or subtract. If it is blocking the view then simply press "B" and it disappears. Pressing the button again will bring it back. TADAAA...

ChrisToth.hu is offline   Reply With Quote