News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic > Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting

Old 7th Nov 2000, 11:43 PM   #1
khakionion
Yes, indeed.

Red face

Hey, remember me? I'm the dude with the Creative Labs 32 MB Savage4 PCI card, who kept bitching about a random lock up in the game, that NO ONE could fix? well, i haven't been to these boards in a long time, and i was thinking "gee, i haven't been to these boards in a long time." So, here's my question:

Have any savage4 owners fixed that crash(that had it)?

Thanks!

DJ KHAKIONION http://www.khakionion.com
khakionion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2000, 01:07 PM   #2
Bobafett
Novice

Cool I think i have

I have the same problem i have tryed everything every version of UT directx 5 6 7 and 7a and three different drivers. I have a savage 4 and would love an answer. I have stopped it from happening so much by download the lastest drivers from S3.com and don't install the 32 bit version use the other 16 bit i guess anyway do that and it locks up every hour or so. Recently i made a brake through look in the directory u installed your drivers mine is called savage4 or look for a file called Metal.dll copy this to the unrealtournament/system folder and mine hasn't crashed for 5 hours and counting good luck

and may the cure be out there !!

Bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2000, 07:12 PM   #3
Taker
UT Junkie

I fixed my Savage Problem.It was really quite easy.I took it out and bought a GeForce.
Taker
Old 9th Nov 2000, 11:05 PM   #4
Laodis

think i remember talking to you sometime ago because I have the same card. I have fixed the problem...well I didn't fix it but I can point you to some help.

I could never play online games with the card in S3 Metal mode without it locking up. It was wierd because I could play practice games by myself all day in S3 Metal. Anyways, just yesterday I downloaded a file that has actually allowed me to play online without freezing.

http://sdn.fgnetwork.com/bipolar/

go to this page and download the file called MeTaL 2030. It is a metal.dll file. Make a backup of your old metal.dll file in the windows\system directory and copy the new file in there. Simple as that. I couldn't believe it actually worked.

Notes:

I am using latest drivers and UT v432.

PS: Taker has the best answer though..there are many much better cards out there..I am upgrading soon..
Laodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2000, 07:25 AM   #5
Bobafett
Novice

Talking Fixed yes

I have fixed it i have metal 2030 it rocks i put in my ut system directory and it worked but i also needed a new metaldrv.dll and performance is decrease but its stable.

So do you think

Geforce 1/2/mx/gts/ultra i have around 100-120 or even a voodoo 3 err help

Old 13th Nov 2000, 04:24 AM   #6
Bobafett
Novice

Cool I need a new card

i now use D3D instead of s3 metal thingy 100% stable and 30 fps performance thank u directx 8 !! Not bad eh anyway i need a new card savage 4's look good but they are limited in perofrmance and i would like 50 fps online what spec would u surgest

Processor
Ram
Graphics card
etc