News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Original Unreal Tournament

Old 16th Sep 2000, 03:22 PM   #1
[UJE]Crakdeala
doGlike

Question

Hey all,

Packet loss is really bothering me at the moment, and I wonder if there is something I could do myself to make it a little better?

Officially my connection is called E1, I believe. It is a 10 mb LAN, using cablemodem technology, connected to the net with a 2mb line. Not bad you'd say ... well... I share those 250 kb/s (well 2 x 250 kb/s) with about 200-250 ppl I dont know why, but browsing, ftp... never a problem, nice speeds. But in UT it gets real bad at times.

At peaks, which are VERY rare... i have ping 80, 0 % loss
Average: 120 - 200, 0 - 10 % loss (very unstable)
Worst: ping still 150-200, but >10 % loss... a couple of times a week.

I suspect its just because the LAN gets crowded. But to be sure, here's my question: is there something i can do to make this situation better? For example, make the ping a little higher but get rid of the packet loss?

I'd really appreciate your input... )

Crakie

[UJE]Crakdeala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2000, 03:35 PM   #2
L_S

All you have to do is send me a list of the names and addresses of the people who are sharing your bandwidth and I'll take care of the rest. If anybody asks we never had this little conversation.
L_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2000, 06:22 PM   #3
[UJE]Crakdeala
doGlike

Smile

LOL... sorry man.. I've been sniping all day from my window. When you kill one, two respawn ...GRR
[UJE]Crakdeala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2000, 07:08 PM   #4
Lady_Ruiner

Unhappy Same problem

We have the same problem with pl, though ours will jump to 80% at times with a very low ping. I have tried changing my net speed and all. It doesnt help. I also have a cable modem and I am waiting on my DSL modem to arrive in the mail, so I can throw this piece of **** out the door. I did trace routes on some of the servers we play on and it turns out that its my isp that has the problem. Go figure. I dont know what else to tell you, but good luck, or throw away the cable...---LR out

Message to all: NEVER BUY A GATEWAY PC!!!
Old 16th Sep 2000, 07:16 PM   #5
AmigaOne|BuF
Masterful

Packet loss

I'd suggest opening up the Unreal Tournament.ini file in the system folder. Look for the [Engine.player] section and play with the settings for the Lan speed. You might be able to manage a better flow with that. Try dropping it down to 10,000 or even 5000. You never know what might end up working better for you.

Luck to you,

AmigaOne
AmigaOne|BuF is offline   Reply With Quote