News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 17th Jan 2000, 05:39 PM   #1
STC_Wacky

Ok, I am using only 2 textures from particulat .utx file. Even if I zip the whole file its still 1.6Mb. I want to reduce this by taking only the two textures that I used and creating a new .utx file so that people will have a far smaller download (plus I can then fit everything onto a single floppy disk)

Any ideas?

"People tell me to ignore the voices in my head, but the voices tell me not to listen!?!"
Old 18th Jan 2000, 07:34 AM   #2
Wanderer

Just extract the 2 textures your using and make backup copies of the original texture packages. Then make new texture packages and only import the used textures. Remember to have all the right settings (ie: detail texture, any automatic setting, etc).

Personally I'm against this because you rob people of all the textures. You end up with people saying stuff like "Map X said it needed texture package A. I've got package A but it still doesn't work, why not?". And often it won't be your map.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2000, 10:23 AM   #3
doktor_ynohtna

If you're only using a couple of custom textures in your level and you do not wish to ship a large .utx with it (which also leads to possible installation problems for some users) then simply import the textures you need into your map as part of the `MyLevel' group.

Yup, same as you'd do for bundling a screenshot with the level. The textures in the `MyLevel' group are compiled _into_ the .unr file and you therefore do not need to package the map with a .utx file.

Hope this helps,
ynohtnA.
doktor_ynohtna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2000, 01:28 PM   #4
STC_Wacky

thanks guys.....its not intended to screw things up for people but rather to save them a oversized download.

"People tell me to ignore the voices in my head, but the voices tell me not to listen!"