News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Original Unreal Tournament

Old 25th Aug 2000, 04:24 PM   #1
hobart_paving

Unhappy

so i'm reading these posts about different maps on servers and everyone seems to be using the word "llama" interchangably with the word "newbie".

as someone who happens to like ctf-face and plays a lot of it, general statements like "thank god for the face servers, they keep the llamas busy" kinda irk me. now if you're talking about tactics like piston camping, well, it's true, face has more places to cheese than most any other ctf map. but having spent so much time on face servers, i don't really see as much cheesing as you'd expect. there are a lot of newbies on there who are getting their first dose of ut, but it's not like all of them start out with piston camping 101.

if you drop by the main face servers sometime, you'll see that not all face players are newbies and considering that face is played almost as much as every other map COMBINED, it's odd that people would choose to diss all the people who DO play on it. kinda snobby and elitist, if you ask me.

it's perfectly ok to not like face as a map, but don't go dissing on people who do like it as all "llamas". one day you might run across a clan like -sm- or {318} in a match and see how beautifully this map can be played.
hobart_paving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2000, 04:28 PM   #2
DividedSky
Fabio-like

hobart, this post officially makes you a llama. Not only complaining about how we use "llama" but admitting that you like Face-only servers. J/K In seriousness, you make good points ...
Old 25th Aug 2000, 04:28 PM   #3
The Dopefish

I play Face as often as I can...

...knowing that one way or another spawn snipers and teleporter campers they'll get busted.

Besides, newbies should know that the easiest way to win isn't necessarily the nicest.

The Dopefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2000, 04:40 PM   #4
hal
Dictator

I agreed with that statement in a post I made in that very thread. That use of the word "llama" was for lame-tactics players and most definitely not new players. Everyone was new to something once ..not everyone is involved in lame gameplay.
Old 25th Aug 2000, 04:41 PM   #5
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation newbie-bashing ain't nice...

I think the majority of Face players are ok, it's just a few who ruin the fun, and Cafe is a map that tens to attract the idiots. And a few servers get a reputation for attracting llamas- [UnReal on Fast PC] is a PRIME example. If I see a newbie online I try to help out, rather than hurl abuse at the guy.

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline for Christianity, in so far that Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse" - Professor Richard Dawkins
Selerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2000, 04:51 PM   #6
Xayd
:\

Yeah, while I don't like their tactics, these people are fun to mess with. Nothin' as fun as telefraggin' the guy with his piston in that portal and then immediately thereafter touching off a nuke to kill his four or five buddies hangin' around up there. Llamas are a pain, yeah, but they are predictable...

Xayd
Xayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2000, 05:00 PM   #7
OshadowO
Irregular

Agreed. Not all face players are llamas. I've had many good games on face where there were no llamas. However at the same time I've run into more llamas on face then any other ctf map It's sad because I think face is by far one of the best CTF levels in UT. It's simplicity is well umm simple
And newbies are not llamas just ignorant. Especially if they're new to online fps. One of the first thing I did in my first assault game was to go attack the spawn point thinking it was a good, valid tactic. Suffice to say I don't do that anymore. I think as a general rule if anybody is being a llama tell them to stop...more then once and try to explain before trying to make their lives hell.

-shadow-
OshadowO is offline   Reply With Quote