News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 5th Aug 2000, 09:09 PM   #1
Kronick07

Exclamation

I am making a map with a gaurd tower that has a ladder that i made that goes straight up from ground to top. I have played other levels that allow you to climb a ladder like that. Can someone help me by telling me how and what i should do to allow a player to clim it?

Thanks!
Old 5th Aug 2000, 10:27 PM   #2
zombie
Inhuman

Unreal Doesn't really "support" ladders. The levels you've played might have had a bit of UScript. I have seen "ladders" build using two methods.
One simply zoned off a small portion near the ladder and made it a low gravity zone. The other built "rungs" with sheets like this.
-
--
---
----
-----
Each one a little longer than the other.

My suggestion, the way you make it sound (pretty high up) is to just make a lift. A player can accidentally move out of a lg zone and the rungs would stick out pretty far at the botton.
Old 5th Aug 2000, 11:07 PM   #3
Slick_Willy
Anyone Else Want Some?

The second way is the best but the ladder can only be about 1 floor high or it will be unrealistic because the lower rungs would be too far out. There is a beta map out at http://www.geocities.com/villagemaps...phere_Beta.zip that I just looked at to see how he did his ladders. He basically made the ladder but overlayed it with an invisible staircase with steps that look like they are only about 4 units deep on their tops. He made the stair case a mover instead of solid geometry I guess to keep from having problems with the overlay technique. The mover doesn't move at all. I guess you could make it semi-solid and achieve the same effect though.
Slick_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2000, 02:54 AM   #4
Kronick07

Hmmm... well i dont think i am going to do the rung method. It dont look too good. The gravity zone might work, but can you come down? And if i do take in consideration of making a G-zone, can you tell me how to make it? Well, the map i saw the ladder made in was a DM map. It takes place on outer streets. Are you sure that it can only be done with scripts? In Unreal I the first level has a ladder that you got to go down to get to the next level. Anyway, if anyone knows the script, plz tell me and see if you can help me put it in correctly. I realy need it. An elevator is too big, and it ain;t THAT long a way up, but stairs would kill the look too.

Thanks!
Old 6th Aug 2000, 08:20 AM   #5
8-4-7-2

Unreal 1 doesn't have ladders!! What you mean is just a opening in the floor. I read s.th. about a mutator which makes surfaces climbable but i don't know its name or where to get it.

I recommend the invisible stair technique. The steps must have the maximal height and minimal width.
Use normal cube brushes to build the ladder itself and the rungs.
8-4-7-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2000, 12:09 PM   #6
Slick_Willy
Anyone Else Want Some?

The map I mentioned above has a visible ladder that Looks like a ladder. Then it has an invisible staircase that is what you actually climb. Wheel of time has climable stairs and walls but I haven't opened the maps up yet to see how they do it. You could make a small water zone next to a wall if you want to make the wall climbable. Only problem is you get the annoying splash sound that you can't turn of. Gravity zone really wouldn't work because you can't control your player like you could in a water zone. Unfortunately others would see you do the swimming animation as well.
Slick_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2000, 02:16 AM   #7
FatAsss

you can turn off the splash sound, and the swimming animations,
they use a zone like that in DM-pyramid. just copy their zoneinfo file and put it in a enclosed space around a ladder
FatAsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2000, 03:40 AM   #8
Aphex

You on about DM-UrbanArenaII.
Just a thought, but StrikeForce has working ladders in it. Don't know if this is a done via a .u mod though.
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2000, 12:07 AM   #9
MorituriMax

Where is the DM_Pyramid map? I'd like to take a look and the only map on nali city is called pyramid of death and makes no mention of a working ladder effect..

Thanks for any info
Old 18th Aug 2000, 12:22 AM   #10
PointlesS

Wink humm...

DM-Pyramid is a regular DM level that came with UT..
PointlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2000, 12:56 PM   #11
MorituriMax

DM-Pyramid regular map, argggg

Grin, figures.. I hadn't played them in so long I forgot it was there.. kept thinking egyptian theme...

I checked it out and they use a Nitrogen Zone marker for that area.. strangely though, it doesn't seem to damage me even though there was a damage value listed... did it just take a long time to start hurting you?

Might be the one to use though, movement allowed up and down and without the cloudiness of a water zone..