A THREAD THAT CHANGES UNREAL...FOREVER!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
AND MAKES **** ****** and Warren Spector SUCK IT DOWN!!
The HUB system worked in Unreal all ALONG! I noticed this while browsing log/comments that around march 1998 this was implemented. The mysterious ?peer at the end of a level teleporter forces the linear transition.
But there were two other... ?push and ?pop
?pop on itself can restart the hub, but when used together in a hub it works miracles. As I couldn't test this myself UB did all the practic research trying this out in a game.
He used the zora's beta conversion maps since they are largely unaltered and dont use custom scripts for hubs. fhub4 has been used as showcase. I'll summon UB shortly..
EDIT: we did some testing with zeurkous on his machine ourselves because his curiosity won over him and he ran unreal after a long time. If all three ?push ?peer and ?pop are used it works well. There can be multiple pushes but not multiple pops. the saves game#.usa are kept until loadgame occurs or ?load= simply.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I tested this on UT. It works on 227 only if you turn off pawn and decoration shadows, otherwise it crashes when "pushing" (tested by jetv435, thanks!).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qxht2cxpy01fb26/HubTesting.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q0bs3wlc38m4b0b/BetaStuff.u
Hopefully I've put there all necessary files.

I have used FHub4 & Soledad and FHub5 & Nexus+NexusEnd & Aztec as showcases. The feature itself works perfectly but there seems to be limitations. Loading in the "hub" map deletes the Game#.usa file that contains the map's status as you've left it; technically it doesn't matter but if you load the game in FHub4 once and then load in Soledad - now Soledad's teleport won't work because the game#.usa file is deleted.
I suppose this won't likely work in Coop, sadly. However this just came out so we have all the time to experiment with the system.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The server testing we got to work halfway so far, from outright crashing at first to other issues. But multiple pushes do save it to multiple Game# instances. This was tested on the 226 versions on this side.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
Remind me again what the hub is doing. Fhub maps branched to other maps having more than one exit. Perhaps when EPIC changed to a linear development for the hub stopped making it harder to impliment, but perhaps not impossible to function.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It's keeping the save of the map/events in i after you revisit the level, IE the carcasses are there and whatever else you've left there. In the state it's left in the current game it obviously needs some tweaks to work fine. There are especially nasty implications for online play and so far it needs a custom gametype to work correctly more or less. But the funcionality is there, despite being largely unknown before. Many mods have taken overcomplicated steps or other games to make hub systems work.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Critical: appError called:

Critical: Assertion failed: ActorClass [File:M:\Unreal224\Engine\Src\UnChan.cpp] [Line: 691]

Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)

-
<zeurkous> okay...
<zeurkous> when metried the ?{push,pop,peer} stuff out on a dedicated swerver w/ a single client
<zeurkous> -- but w/ seperate Save/ dirs for the experiment --
<zeurkous> mefirst found out that while the swerver is smart enough not to send the ?{push,pop,peer} on to new clients
<zeurkous> GameInfo.ProcessServerTravel() actually does
<zeurkous> in practice that causes the client to save Entry instead of the acutal level
<zeurkous> so mecrufted together a subclass of GameInfo, the ProcessServerTravel() routine of which strips any off said options
<zeurkous> so the client is never informed of the hub system being in operation
<zeurkous> btw, for both the swerver and the client, mehas the respective save dir in the Paths array
<zeurkous> in case that makes a diff
<zeurkous> me's not sure anymore whether that's standard or not, feh
<zeurkous> the swerver tells the client the real level name
<zeurkous> so instead of trying NyLeve, it fetched the Game* file from the swerver
<zeurkous> which resulted in a surprising situation -- since the client takes over all the swerver state
<zeurkous> which turned out to include the stuff in the LevelInfo
<zeurkous> mehad a client acting as a dedicated swerver for a tick, while being linked to the intended swerver
<zeurkous> sole intended swerver*
<zeurkous> then the client suddenly transferred to the level mehad popped from
<zeurkous> mehad issued the pop from*
<zeurkous> after quite a couple of experiments
<zeurkous> mefound out that since the intended client now acted as if it were the swerver, based on the state in the Game file
<zeurkous> it decided at the end of the first tick to enact the orig push
<zeurkous> crashing itself in the process, too, by overwriting Game0 with Game0
<zeurkous> or trying to :x
<zeurkous> again, the actual, intended swerver wasn't so stupid and ran on happily
<zeurkous> methen tried to find a way to get the swerver tell the client that it's really not Game0, but NyLeve -- the level orig pushed and then popped --
<zeurkous> that should be opened
<zeurkous> after all, the swerver was aware of that
<zeurkous> mecouldn't figure out how to do that
<zeurkous> sometried `ucc conform'
<zeurkous> however, in either case, that yielded a file of ~40K
<zeurkous> w/ unclear contents
<zeurkous> finally, memanually `conformed' the swerver's Game0 and the client's copy of NyLeve, also named Game0 for the purpose of the test
<zeurkous> by extended the shorter of the two w/ zeroes until the sizes matched
<zeurkous> and by overwriting the GUID of the client version w/ the one of the swerver
<zeurkous> the client ate that
<zeurkous> long enough through the first tick to run the console
<zeurkous> meconsole reports that, so meknows
<zeurkous> however, appearantly immediately after that
<zeurkous> the above error occours
<zeurkous> on the client
<zeurkous> again, the swerver goes on happily
<zeurkous> oh, and as for the fetch-from-swerver route
<zeurkous> the client xferred in a tick 'cause that's what the native code appears to do if (Level.NextURL != "") && (Level.NextSwitchCountdown == 0)
<zeurkous> even ServerTravel does it that way
<zeurkous> the one thing mehasn't tried yet is to pass the client the ?pop argument, but not the corresponding ?push argument
<zeurkous> memight do that tomorrow
<zeurkous> memeans, w/ the client fetching the Game file from the swerver*
<zeurkous> that might work, but it still prolly won't
<zeurkous> besides, there are security issues to consider, like the sharing of the AdminPassword
<zeurkous> hence mepreference for the second route
<zeurkous> blaat
<zeurkous> second route is to keep the Game file for the swerver only*
<zeurkous> and making the client use the original level, in our case, NyLeve

------------------------------------
Just rambings/findings.

Last edited:

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
oh, I'm reminded, maybe why your crash, EPIC after 220 totally rebuilt the code starting for the 224 patch, any mod coding 220 and before got totally trashed, modders would have to adapt their work or it died. I recall a lot of mods in the works at the 220 level and when that patch hit, they died. I recall some interesting mod, I'd have to dig a little what it was, new mappage and all, and it dissappeared for later versions.

you may have a little debugging to do there...

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yes here were multiple mods, some of them were released but got lost or their lates versions. I remember one of the los mods was capture he cow, the oher was unreal 2d_the original) and latest versions of conquer the base got lost as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.