News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 12th Jun 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

RUNE is FINALLY Coming To Steam!!

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I literally cannot stop screaming this from the top of my lungs from a rooftop very high. One of my all time favorite games ever made, Rune, is finally being released by Human Head on Steam. Not only is this happening, but it's happening this Wednesday, June 13th at 10AM Pacific!

It also appears that this release will include Steam achievements, the additional enemies found in the PS2 release, level edits to remove confusing areas or areas that were just hard to get to, and more. You can also select "Classic Mode", which will launch the game in a sort of compatibility mode that lets you play with old, retail version of the game if you so choose.

So, I only have two questions. What about Rune co-op? And what about the next Rune game? As this will be called Rune Classic, kind of implies something new is in the works. Anyway, watch this slightly humorous trailer to tid you over until tomorrow.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
[NBK]Rattman
Goo God

I'll be all over this if the price is right.

Loved the game and would love to own it again and have it work properly on a modern pc
Old 13th Jun 2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Jazz

That's great. Though, if this one is called "Rune Classic", chances are that they're working on a remake, but, gosh, it's time for sequel already.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 06:45 AM   #4
r1esG0
Unreal Engine Padawan

If you liked Rune, i recommend all of you "Blade of darkness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYS5qeMMglw

http://vimeo.com/channels/r1esg0
r1esG0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 07:28 AM   #5
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium

Love the game. I still have my original copy though so I don't need this and definitely won't be buying from steam anyway... though a new rune game could rule.
Old 13th Jun 2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Al
Witted One

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
definitely won't be buying from steam anyway
How did I know you would say this? Oh, that's right, because YOU SAY IT IN EVERY ****ING THREAD ABOUT STEAM!
Old 13th Jun 2012, 11:08 AM   #7
DannyMeister
UT3 Jailbreak Coder

Yet he has a Steam sig.

UT3 Jailbreak is under development! Forums | Website
DannyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 01:20 PM   #8
[GU]elmur_fud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
How did I know you would say this? Oh, that's right, because YOU SAY IT IN EVERY ****ING THREAD ABOUT STEAM!
Right, every time somebody promotes it, I will say my piece against it. Equal representation herp derp. ... Seems to be an appalling (to me) trend here too post OMG look what you can buy on steam as news. Do some of you own stock in Valve? To me it seems that the distribution channel is a byline and not headline worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMeister View Post
Yet he has a Steam sig.
Indeed steam has been forced upon me. It was required for DS3 and DNF. I still bought retail and not from steam. I put it in my sig because I wanted something to replace the huge banners with my nic.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 12:57 AM   #9
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

The thing is, you can't buy Rune anywhere anymore. There was only one not exactly legal way to get it, and even that was a long shot. The fact that you can buy it anywhere now is awesome news.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 11:22 AM   #10
[GU]elmur_fud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
The thing is, you can't buy Rune anywhere anymore. There was only one not exactly legal way to get it, and even that was a long shot. The fact that you can buy it anywhere now is awesome news.
I'll grant you that on this one. ... Though I have seen used copies of the original around quite often. Was apparently allot more popular here in Texas then I used too think.

I used to have a hi-res texture pack wonder if steam would nerf it as it directly replaced much of the base game textures.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

So looking at the wiki I gather this game is a third person hack and slash? What is the major draw and why should I give my left testicle to play this game?

If it has Zelda elements then I hand my wallet over immediately.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
I'll grant you that on this one. ... Though I have seen used copies of the original around quite often. Was apparently allot more popular here in Texas then I used too think.

I used to have a hi-res texture pack wonder if steam would nerf it as it directly replaced much of the base game textures.
I doubt Steam would "nerf" it. If anything it is probably handled like the steam versions of Quake.

I installed Rygels High rez texture pack and Darkplaces for the steam version of Quake 1 and it worked like a charm. Obviously the directory will be slightly different since it is in steamapps, but the rest works the same.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Toilet View Post
So looking at the wiki I gather this game is a third person hack and slash? What is the major draw and why should I give my left testicle to play this game?
It's all action all the time. There aren't many "puzzle" like things you have to do, you just run and chop hellspawn into bits. lopping off their heads is especially fulfilling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Toilet View Post
I doubt Steam would "nerf" it. If anything it is probably handled like the steam versions of Quake.

I installed Rygels High rez texture pack and Darkplaces for the steam version of Quake 1 and it worked like a charm. Obviously the directory will be slightly different since it is in steamapps, but the rest works the same.
It does have achievements, but I'm guessing this is still true.

Old 14th Jun 2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Jacks:Revenge
╠╣E╚╚O

Rune... Rune... where have I heard that before?

isn't that game like 15 years old??
Old 14th Jun 2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

Played for about 5 minutes and found 4 bugs already

1.Subtitles aren't keeping up with the voices
2.Old mans voice was overlapping with other lines during the hero introduction
3.Vsync is off in the advanced options, yet is on in game and introduces major mouse stutter. Turning ON will turn it off and reduce the stutter
4.Cannot change value for minimum framerate.
Old 14th Jun 2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Yeah there are several issues. They actually literally just pushed a patch and supposedly have another update coming soon.

Tags
elmur_fud </3 steam, omg epic betrayed us, yawn