NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Old 21st May 2012, 12:52 PM   #1
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium

Went too the zoo today

My wife and I donate and have yearly passes... I like animals and it is a cheap form of entertainment for our son who likes to watch the black bears swat at the vultures that hang out in their habitat. (It is as close as they can get to the coastal habitat that smells rather fishy. Understatement.)

But I digress.

Today the zoo was flooded with schools (all from Bryan/College Station ISD), it seems 5 or more large classes or whole small schools decided to come to the zoo. Fantastic.

But man did I over-hear some dumb-ass comments by the teachers to their students.

There is a 212lb 3ft diameter Albino Alligator snapper in a large wall tank about 50ft depicting animals indigenous to Texas rivers... The teacher leading the class promptly told her swarm of grade-school brats that the turtle was Cement. And that turtles couldn't get that big. (Not sure what she thinks the tortoises are that she had to walk by to get in the building.) It then moved and much screaming ensued.

Then later in the Herpetarium I heard different teacher describe a 20 some ft Boa Constrictor as being The kind of snake that will chase and tease you. My wife muttered to herself "No you dumb bitch that is the kind of snake that will squeeze and eat you."

...just a rant as I find that level of ignorance about commonly known animals to be appalling. Especially when my taxes are paying for this system of education.
Old 21st May 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
M.A.D.X.W

Maybe teachers generally wouldn't tell children that a snake could squeeze them to death and eat them.

They are probably teaching math instead.
M.A.D.X.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Zxanphorian
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Is it really that surprising given that Texas has one of the worst managed public education system in the United States?
Zxanphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Vaskadar
It's time I look back from outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxanphorian View Post
Is it really that surprising given that Texas has one of the worst managed public education system in the United States?
Hate to say it, Elmur... but Zxan's right.

Seriously... cement? That's one dumb bitch.
Vaskadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
SleepyHe4d
fap fap fap

Is it really that surprising given that the United States has one of the worst managed public education system in the world?
SleepyHe4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Jacks:Revenge
╠╣E╚╚O

a zoo in Texas?
and it didn't have an exhibit showcasing man walking alongside the dinosaurs?

blasphemy.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
NRG
Master Console Hater

Is it really that surprising given that it's Texas?

Steam
NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Vaskadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHe4d View Post
Is it really that surprising given that the United States has one of the worst managed public education system in the modern world?
Out of the industrial or post industrial nations, yes. Out of the world? No.
Old 21st May 2012, 04:50 PM   #9
NeoNite
La douce souffrance...

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
-Ode to Spot, by Data
NeoNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Firefly
United Kingdom is not a country.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 08:59 PM   #11
[GU]elmur_fud

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D.X.W View Post
Maybe teachers generally wouldn't tell children that a snake could squeeze them to death and eat them.

They are probably teaching math instead.
These were not little kids in the Herpetarium. But **** is still **** even if you sugar coat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxanphorian View Post
I haven't attended a public school in Texas since the first 2 months of 1st grade so I wouldn't know. The public high school I did attend in Mo. was bad enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskadar View Post
Hate to say it, Elmur... but Zxan's right.

Seriously... cement? That's one dumb bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Public schools man, none of which made any religious comments or even creation related comments so stfu and go play with you favorite e-penis elsewhere.

I heard the same nit that wanted to portray giant snakes as mischievous (Thinks the jungle book cartoon is science fact?) tell her students that Alligators (the animal in question was a Caiman but no big deal) were the only animal to have survived the ice-age. So obviously she teaches evolution but I guess science in general was not her strong suit. I was appalled by the other remarks this just made me eyeroll.

I was glad that I could out pace her and her brood.

Side note: Was finally able to get a pic of the 14ft King Cobra they have, the chump is usually under a log or something. So a good trip despite the idiots.
Old 21st May 2012, 09:00 PM   #12
xMurphyx

Not sure how a circular argument is the same as dividing by zero but maybe the tiny text I can't read explains that!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
I heard the same nit that wanted to portray giant snakes as mischievous (Thinks the jungle book cartoon is science fact?) tell her students that Alligators (the animal in question was a Caiman but no big deal) were the only animal to have survived the ice-age. So obviously she teaches evolution but I guess science in general was not her strong suit.
So she teaches the kind of evolution that has us all evolve from alligators within a time-span of about 10,000 years? Yeah, might as well not teach evolution at all then.

Last edited by xMurphyx; 21st May 2012 at 09:04 PM.
xMurphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Big-Al
amateur de bière

Teachers to the lions

I drink moosepiss
Big-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:17 AM   #14
[GU]elmur_fud

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphyx View Post
Not sure how a circular argument is the same as dividing by zero but maybe the tiny text I can't read explains that!?
It's not. All the small txt does is pose a question that leads to the next step. Like most of Firefly's "funny religious pics" it is only funny if your an idiot, clueless about religion, and/or completely jaded towards it. They are generally way out of context or graphically incorrect for any religion. What I wonder is how much of it he means and how much is a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphyx View Post
So she teaches the kind of evolution that has us all evolve from alligators within a time-span of about 10,000 years? Yeah, might as well not teach evolution at all then.
I have found that the notion that ALL life was wiped out by the ice-age to be a fairly common mis-perception of many people, even among those that believe evolution.

I just find it appalling that a teacher can't get the details right, my rant isn't about what particular dogma she is teaching, it's about the quality of education... but I guess in grade school it's all about the foundations. Too bad those kids have a foundation of stupid to build on.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Vaskadar

My elementary school was a public school of 65 students, grades K-5. With the level of individualized attention that the students had received, it was no wonder that once I had moved to the mainland I felt sort of neglected.

Honestly, what she and the other teachers said is deplorable and downright detestable in an educational system. While it may not be enough to warrant getting them fired, they should at least be moved to a special needs class.

Also: The thread title has a fairly noticeable typo.

Last edited by Vaskadar; 22nd May 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:56 AM   #16
[GU]elmur_fud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskadar View Post

Also: The thread title has a fairly noticeable typo.
I often flub up heterographs/homophones, though that is one I usually catch... obviously not before I hit submit in this case.

Tags
america = fail after only 300 years lol, lolitics derailment by page 2, mr adenoids moans again, texas lol, there won't be a page 2