News • UnrealEd • Files • Mods • FragBU • Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 18th May 2012, 07:16 AM   #41
Spiney

Aren't you guys perhaps expecting too much?
These days, with the enough samples game renderers can approach feature film quality visuals -- minus the uber high poly content, ofcourse.

Brute force will only get you so far. And fact is the stuff we're doing now such as depth of field and motion blur is very hard to do 'correctly' in hardware rasterizing. The other thing is using breaktrough algorithms, of which a bunch were developed over the past ten years.

Combine that with the increase of horsepower and you'll be getting better image quality, but don't expect the exponential increases in lighting and geometry fidelity we've witnessed in this decade.

One thing I'm crossing my fingers for is complex global illumination such as this http://youtu.be/fAsg_xNzhcQ
and combine that with full scene tesselation and high quality antialiasing.

Last edited by Spiney; 18th May 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 08:54 AM   #42
moonflyer

I have faith in UE4. I am sure the demo will be amazing when play in realtime, although the screenshots looks not that awesome.
And I am really looking forword to know how good the realtime lighting system will be, and the new way to build a map without baking stuff for it. And the Kismet V2.
moonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 09:27 AM   #43
toniglandyl
internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

more pics here : http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/ff_unreal4/
Old 18th May 2012, 09:47 AM   #44
raziel31
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflyer View Post
And I am really looking forword to know how good the realtime lighting system will be
That's the 1 million dollar question --> if the lighting system is fully realtime with soft shadows and cie, that will be a really great improvment and new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniglandyl View Post
Thanx for the link!

Last edited by raziel31; 18th May 2012 at 09:50 AM.
raziel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 09:55 AM   #45
moonflyer

Wow, juding from the new pics, the lighting looks great. Everything is in realtime, that's what matters.
moonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 03:42 PM   #46
Sk.7

Here, have at it:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/05/...n-screens.html
Sk.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 04:06 PM   #47
Spiney

On a sidenote, these screenshots would be 100 times more interesting if they actually had somewhat of a composition or decent framing.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:32 PM   #48
FuLLBLeeD
fart

And the next Xbox won't have a good enough GPU to run this. I wonder if they'll have a scaled version for the next Xbox and Playstation Orbis.

It even says that Epic is lobbying for the consoles to be more powerful. I honestly think that the death of consoles is coming soon because its really hard for developers (besides Nintendo) to recoup the massive development costs. We'll see though. I also bet that most current spec PCs can run this pretty well. The next set of consoles is going to be underpowered compared to PCs out of the gate, unlike the last generation of consoles, which were better than PCs for a little while.

Last edited by FuLLBLeeD; 18th May 2012 at 11:35 PM.
FuLLBLeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:52 PM   #49
Arnox
UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

A console that is powerful enough to be able to run UE4 wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Guess what all that power is going to detriment? The price. Not a lot of people bought the PS3 when it came out because it was simply too expensive. We might be looking at a similar situation if Cliffy B gets what he wants.

- from 'Tom O'Bedlam's Song' (Anonymous)

Last edited by Arnox; 18th May 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Arnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 03:16 AM   #50
Bleuchamp

I rather see them release extremely powerful consoles at a high price than a mediocre console at a price that everyone can afford at launch.

Let's say that they release something that is 5 times as powerful as the consoles of today.
Congratulations! You can now play BF3 at 1080p and get 60fps. Come back in another 7 years and we'll see what we have for ya.
Bleuchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 05:49 AM   #51
_Lynx
Strategic Military Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleuchamp View Post
at a price that everyone can afford at launch
For a console this means poor sales, poor sales mean low install base, low install base means publishers ignore the console.

And you end up with a piece of very powerful hardware which has pretty much no games for it.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:20 AM   #52
Spiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lynx View Post
And you end up with a piece of very powerful hardware which has pretty much no games for it.
On the flipside there's the Wii, cheap and specs identical to the Gamecube, yet I sold mine after 2 years of waiting for more of the good stuff to show up.
I think Wii suffered because devs couldn't port their more demanding XB360 or PS3 games to it. I'm sure it sold like hotcakes, but I doubt it did as well in game sales.

The 360 was best this generation I think, plenty of power and easy to develop for, unlike the CELL. Development should be similar to the PC but with more low level access and none of the wild hardware variation. I'm sure there's quite a pricetag to cross platform development. The consoles that can consolidate development friendly architecture and powerful yet budget friendly hardware are the ones that are going to be best of in the long run I think.

Last edited by Spiney; 19th May 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 19th May 2012, 07:54 PM   #53
Sarevok

Seriously you guys need to stop with this high and mighty act. Most of you here purposely don't like anything by unreal or act unimpressed with anything they release. I'm assuming you guys are mad at epic or something, but stop with the fake "omgepicsucksunimpressed" douche bag act and be real with yourselves. If you guys really hate epic that much then why the hell are you guys even here anymore?! It's a great looking shot!
Sarevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 10:33 PM   #54
hal
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
The 360 was best this generation I think, plenty of power and easy to develop for, unlike the CELL. Development should be similar to the PC but with more low level access and none of the wild hardware variation. I'm sure there's quite a pricetag to cross platform development. The consoles that can consolidate development friendly architecture and powerful yet budget friendly hardware are the ones that are going to be best of in the long run I think.
While I don't disagree that the 360 had the most expansive library, I'm looking at it in a slightly different and personal way. A huge majority of the 360 games made their way to the PC. As a result, I don't feel like I missed out on much by not having one. On the other hand, my family also owns a Wii and there are a good dozen or so must-have games that are on no other platform. I admit I don't play it much, but when I do it always offers a unique experience. My PC/Wii combo pretty much allows me to play the top games in the era.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:05 AM   #55
FuLLBLeeD
fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnox View Post
A console that is powerful enough to be able to run UE4 wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Guess what all that power is going to detriment? The price. Not a lot of people bought the PS3 when it came out because it was simply too expensive. We might be looking at a similar situation if Cliffy B gets what he wants.
Exactly my point. Microsoft and Sony don't want to spend that much money on new consoles when the profits from them are sub par at best. Nintendo doesn't either, the specs of the Wii U have been estimated from being equal to an Xbox 360 to slightly better, so its certainly not going to wow anyone with its hardware.
FuLLBLeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 05:05 AM   #56
Wowbagger
Curing the infection...

A scaled down f2p UT4 with DM/TDM/CTF to showcase the engine would be nice.
No need for vehicles since the f2p PS2 will own in that area.
Ship with Very few characters and maps.

Open it up completely to UDK so maps can be made by the community.
If people complain about the lack of characters just open a shop where they can buy more of them.

Id actually be happy with this.
Edit: and, id happily pay the same price as for that Nexuiz game too for that matter.

Last edited by Wowbagger; 20th May 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 07:29 AM   #57
Arnox
UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Open it up completely to UDK so maps can be made by the community.
If people complain about the lack of characters just open a shop where they can buy more of them.
Just maps? IMAO, any UT needs to have full support for all community created MAPS, MODS, AND MUTATORS as the other UT's have or I'm not even going to look at it.

- from 'Tom O'Bedlam's Song' (Anonymous)

Last edited by Arnox; 20th May 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Arnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 01:37 PM   #58
evilmrfrank
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflyer View Post
Wow, juding from the new pics, the lighting looks great. Everything is in realtime, that's what matters.
The fact that it's all dynamic lighting is the most impressive part to me. I do worry though if this will limit how many light sources we can have in a scene at a time

-----------------------
evilmrfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 01:46 PM   #59
Major-Lee-High
Im a ranter, ignore me!

I wanna see it running too *_*

Doesn't seem like we need new consoles just for this though, the games have looked awesome for a long time, they need to make them more fun now instead...
Old 20th May 2012, 04:00 PM   #60
Manticore
Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Lee-High View Post
I wanna see it running too *_*

Doesn't seem like we need new consoles just for this though, the games have looked awesome for a long time, they need to make them more fun now instead...
Word.

Tags
darkpulse は間違っている, greatemerald は間違っている, lich king invades ue4, omg buf betrayed epic, omg epic betrayed us, omg progression causes betrayel, ue4ia, unrealscrip shelved omfg epic bet...