News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games

Old 17th Apr 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Trynant
Manic Brawler

Skullgirls

It's a fighting game on XBLA/PSN and soon PC. It's good.

Peacock is the best:

Last edited by Trynant; 7th May 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Trynant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 03:11 PM   #2
shadow_dragon
is ironing his panties!

From the trailer it looks like it should've been called "Upskirt girls" - A streetfighter where every character is Chun-li. Heh heh.

Seriously though what exactly makes it good? The style of it looks entertaining and a bit nuts but is the gameplay good etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarg View Post
what the **** is wrong with you
shadow_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

A fighter with excellent hand drawn sprites and anime girls with oversized tits. I imagine that is what is good about it.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 07:05 PM   #4
SleepyHe4d
fap fap fap

So it's an Arcana Heart 1/2/3 ripoff without the lolis?

SleepyHe4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Trynant
Manic Brawler

I probably should have an actual match video:

What makes Skullgirls a good game, aside from the awesome art style and music?

Gameplay is actually fairly awesome and surprisingly considerate of what a fighting game should have. It's less Arcana Hearts and more Marvel vs. Capcom 2...except with girls. And possibly skulls.

It's not any one particular thing--if you don't like fighting games you won't like Skullgirls because Skullgirls is a fighting game, but a lot of little things just make the game SO DAMN GOOD. Here's a few of many cool things about the game.
  • The game detects and lets players 'burst' out of infinite loops, stopping stupid crap like 100% combos without having to neuter spay character move sets.
  • You have variable team sizes between 1 and 3, with picking less characters making them stronger. For example, you can have one super-powerful grappler fighting a much weaker three-girl tag-team group.
  • Tons of thought was put into strong competitive play. Though it's very easy to execute commands (no pretzel joystick motions), there is all the depth you'd expect to find in this $15 downloadable title that you would a modern crazy fighting game and possibly more. Tag-ins, Alpha Counters, Delayed Hyper Cancels, Hit Confirm into a Super, etc.. Point being, Skullgirls is crazy amazing tournament-level playing stuff.
  • It's headed by a pro-tournament player (MikeZ of REAL SOVIET DAMAGE fame) and was built on heavy community feedback. This is about as close to 'made by fans for fans' as you'll get with fighting games.
  • REFERENCES EVERYWHERE. This should have a list of it's own. One character will take a six-shooter and yell 'GARBAGE DAY' when doing so. One character turns into a Moai head from Gradius and turns your playing field into a shoot-em-up.

Basically if you like fighting games and miss the days of crazy MvC2 and Guilty Gear style play, this is something to very much look into.

Last edited by Trynant; 7th May 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Trynant
Manic Brawler

Oh and for all the PC-only guys, this got confirmed for you.

Quote:
Reverge Labs' debut fighter Skullgirls is coming to major digital distribution channels later this year. The Windows PC port will be available on Steam, Origin, GameFly, GamersGate and GameStop PC Downloads.
And hey, why not throw up a stupid video to boot?

Old 7th May 2012, 03:14 PM   #7
FuLLBLeeD
fart

You forget the best part Trynant: custom assists! Unlike games like Marvel vs Capcom where you can only select from a predetermined list of assists, Skullgirls lets you input any normal or special move as an assist.

Also there is no comeback mechanics, making this the only fighting game this generation without them besides KOF13.

And there is a tutorial mode that actually teaches you how to play fighting games, and goes over stuff like high low mixups, cross ups, why not to do stupid **** on block (funkblast), etc.

I bought this on launch and haven't got that in depth with it yet. I like Ms. Fortune and Peacock so far. Once my summer break starts I'm going to be spending a lot more time with this game.
FuLLBLeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Tre`

Quote:
Also there is no comeback mechanics, making this the only fighting game this generation without them besides KOF13.
And Virtua Fighter 5.

I'll probably get this game on PC just to support them and their desire for PS3/PC cross-platform play, but I don't think the game's particularly interesting and the art, while very well done (and well animated), is definitely not to my tastes.
Tre` is offline   Reply With Quote