UT DM-AtypicalMall + Mallzombies mutator

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Your normal, generic, zombie-filled suburban mall DM map.

I added a cinema, some various interactive objects, and a mall security room. There are a few surprises tossed in here and there to find.

Backstory: Whatever floats your boat. There was a comet/biological attack/T-virus outbreak/finger of God event and now the world is full of zombies.

The MallZombies2.u is the zombie mutator. It is embedded into the map but it can be used into your map easily. The zombies do not add any scoring to anyone but they can be killed and telefragged. If you remember the TWT zombies then you know I removed the mouse sensitivity adjusting shit that ruined them for so many people. They also won't go mucking with the lights either. Zombies don't affect lights, that's ghosts. Get your undead straight, geesh.

If you use the Mallzombies just add the mut to your map and make sure there are plenty of pathnodes. At any given time there will be 400 zombies in your map, scattered around the pathnodes in groups of three or four. They will find and chase (if you can call it that) any player or bots. I added a bunch of new skins and colorations to add less redundancy but the models are "weak" in that they render not as crisply as a normal mesh. The up side to this is that there can be 400 in your map and not lag it at all.

The map can be seen in the first part of this vid for another mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXmdzgt6sR4

Download both
MallZombie source included

MrLoathsome

Apr 1, 2010
I get the same error when attempting to load the map.

Attempted to get the mutator to work using the following files
I wrote up:

MallZombies2.int
Code:
[Public]
Object=(Name=MallZombies2.TWT_Zombies_mutator, Class=Class, MetaClass=Engine.Mutator, Description="MallZombies")
Preferences=(Caption="Mutators",Parent="Advanced Options")
Preferences=(Caption="MallZombies",Parent="Mutators",Class=MallZombies2.TWT_Zombies_mutator,Immediate=True)

MallZombies.ini
Code:
[MallZombies2.TWT_Zombies_mutator]
NZombiesCount=200
NHordeSize=3

Get it to show up in the lists, but get this cool error if I try to use it:
Code:
ScriptLog: Add mutator MallZombies2.TWT_Zombies_mutator
Critical: appError called:
Critical: TWT_Zombies_mutator DM-Bathroom-Cow-Beta6.TWT_Zombies_mutator0 (Function MallZombies2.TWT_Zombies_mutator.AlwaysKeep:0000) Infinite script recursion (250 calls) detected
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Medor my apologies. MappersDream sometimes skips packages when putting them all into the zip. The link is updated now but if you want the two files only I can email them to you directly. Your call.

Now, without sounding like a jerk I'll refer back to my original instructions Loathe:
If you use the Mallzombies just add the mut to your map and make sure there are plenty of pathnodes.

I didn't release this as a mutator and that's why I didn't put in an int file or an ini. It's cool that you decided to try it but the problem is yours to fix and I wish you wouldn't clutter up my release thread with "It's broken" posts, because it clearly is not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a43IMDWeGw
(just to clarify the actor is NOT bHidden=True, I just made it that way to easily show you)
This is a vid I just now made after I took Face and only embedded the zombie actor per my instructions. It works correctly this way because that's the way I intended it to be used (although in DM, not team games).

The source is included and if you want to go full-mod with it then knock yourself out. You'll need to address the way the mod assigns the ZombieCoordinator though because adding it to the mutator chain screws things up (as you have seen). I didn't fix that for two reasons. One, I didn't need to for what I wanted it for and two, if you release this as a mut it's going to get old real fast. It's a special mod for special maps and shouldn't get overused.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
OMG I found my wife
ss7gris16564nr1.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MrLoathsome

Apr 1, 2010
Now, without sounding like a jerk.....

You failed.:lol::D

That being said, very nice job with the map. As you stated, works great once all the required files
are included. The zombies are very nice.

Sorry if I upset you with my attempt to see if it would run as a stand-alone mutator without modifications.
Was just trying to help.....

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You failed.:lol::D

Point taken. I have nothing but the greatest respect for you Loathe. You helped me when I was badly stuck on the headshot blood spray when I thought I was going to have to totally abandon the code. Instead it turned into something I'm quite proud of thanks directly to you.

I was just a little bent that my mod was pulled out of the context it was posted in, used another way, then I was poked about it hard-crashing (with a nice error jpg). I could have told you that was going to happen had you asked.

You mostly do your own stuff from scratch so this isn't something you encounter often. If you build from someone else's work it's bad form to post problems into the release thread. There should be a new one made or better yet email the guy whose work you are building from. Most likely they already know of the problem and saw it in testing. I release most of the source I do and this happens often so that's why I'm making a bit of a point here.

Don't feel angry, I made this mistake too and a certain well-respected 2k4 coder handed my head to me on a platter for it. It was a lesson learned and I'm much more cognizant to remember the long hours spent coding and testing before release that good devs will do. Because of this I'll email first with a mistake I might see so as to avoid making a statement about something I might not know all about.

If you want I'll show you what's wrong with the mod as a mutator and you can add some flair to it to make it your own. There ought to be some more variations of the zombies and that's pretty easy to do. In fact they do a nice arms-out anim when they grab for you that ought to happen at a greater distance once they get "locked" on you.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I thought I'd better get over to this thread and get myself some cold, clammy zombie action in a purpose built map.
Nice one.
I quite like dark city maps for zombie action, and find that guns with bright tracer-rounds give random lighting, which means you glimpse where zombies are hidden in the dark.

BTW. if you have a powerfull enough PC, the TWT zombies are great with the standalone Thievery mutator that makes you invisible, if you stand still in the dark.
Now that's some scary zombie action!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I've had the honor of testing Loathesome's improvements to the zombies and when he finishes you will be quite happy with them, I'm sure. I'm glad someone decided to 'resurrect' this mod and give it a new life <yuck yuck>.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I take it the idea with this map is to add you own weapons?
Love the map choice for zombies, great conversion.

I am puzzled by some of the *.u files though.
This distro has smaller (possibly older?) versions of files I have.
My version of Color.u is from the 1.9 version of ColorMatch and is over 6 Megs, whereas yours is much smaller (ooer, fnar!)
My UMS.u file is 215,870 bytes, which is also larger. I opened both UMS files with a txt editor and both have the same version of 1.7. Damn I can't tell which is newer (I am ignoring the filestamp dates as they are irrelevant)

I can't remember what UMS is part of, but have you any idea what version of what yours is, or came with?

Color.u does seem somewhat pointless as I can find no weapons i the map!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
The map was done for Meats Redeemer Screamer: 71.198.162.194:7757 You guys ought to try it, there is still a nice community for redeemer-only play and Meat's server is the single best one out there.
I scripted a quite fun seeking redeemer for him that locks on to you at a long distance and built a couple of game types from it. The AtypicalMall map was an attempt to make it harder to get locks on people due to the zombies all over the map but it was ultimately a fail because the zombies caused too many suicides.

I made this map a while back and really just shelved it and forgot about it when it didn't see much play. There were no plans to release it (that's why some of the 'announcements' are server specific) but it made a good map to showcase a quirky weapon like the RidiculousDeemer. I got multiple requests for the map and the zombies so that's why I put them up here. With a minimum of effort you could change/add custom mall announcements and make the mod clan/group-specific. You could do some posters for the cinema, maybe even make a movie it shows (see my MH-Salmagundi for how to do that), decorate a few stores, the uses are endless.

I can't vouch for the included files. Monsterhunt is horrible for version mismatch since the mappers who work in it are some of the worst for not renaming packages. I did a mapper's dream on the zip, and it grabbed whatever was in my install it needed. There very well may be mismatches to other gametypes since I hardly ever play on any server but mine and Meat's and over the last couple of years I've adjusted my installation to accommodate play-testing on MH servers who needed assistance. If there are version mismatch I am truly sorry for it and it was not my intention to release problem files. Those just happen to be the ones MH servers use right now.

There are a couple of semi-custom actors like the stochastic trigger controlling the announcer but overall it's a straightforward map. Feel free to remix it as you like.

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
As I don't have the option to play online, that's not an issue for me.
I did try the map with both versions, and there is no problem so far.

I played a bit of team DM and gave my team shock rifles and pulse guns, and the beams stayed their normal colours rather than team colours, so Im guessing Color.u is not embedded in the map with the weapons removed (I didn't add the mutator).

I like the idea of messing with getting a lock, as I noticed this behaviour with rocket launchers

I'm going to run around with light-sabres next. Yes I think chainsaws and light-sabres :chainsaw:
I miss the bloody full melee combat you get with Chaos2k4. This map with permanent decals on is very satisfying.

Here's an idea (just popped in my head) what if you can change the surface physics to mimic an icy floor just on the blood decals ?
A slippery bloody floor mutator ! Perfect for horror or zombie maps.

MrLoathsome

Apr 1, 2010
If you build from someone else's work it's bad form to post problems into the release thread.

Is it considered good form to release something with included source code
that does NOT match what is actually being used in the map?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Why do you keep pounding away at this bit of work I did? You do realize this thread is a month since last post?

If you don't like it, don't use it, geez...If you just want to criticize me, then take a number. Line forms to the left. Here's your "I hate gopo" club card, the other guys will teach you the secret handshake.

Seriously dude, let it go. I don't care if you don't like it. I don't dev to please you.