News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic > Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting

Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Kantham
Fool.

New build - Suggest a GPU.

After 4 years of use, 2 GPU RMA (after trying to get an actual upgrade), a shagged GPU and so much hassle, I think it's time for me to move on.

Here's what I'm aiming for, I'd like a few suggestion on GPU's, I haven't been following computer hardware in the past years so I've quite lost it.

This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

I game on 1440X900, and no, I am not replacing monitor any time soon, however it might happen if this monitor decides to drop it. Basically like my GPU just did.

I don't want an expansively beast card, just a decent one that will support Crysis 2 and other demending games on 60 FPS, using medium to slightly high details.

===============================
Why am I not just getting a new gpu?
I want an upgrade, and this current PC (motherboard, likely) doesn't like the idea of having a much newer card inserted in it. Performance would not be noticable ever, going from a 8800 to a 470
Kantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Kantham
Fool.

Sandy bridge, like this one?

Do you think it would be compatible with the motherboard I picked? I heard there were issues with that technology.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
toniglandyl
internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

get a GPU. it's safer.
I'd suggest getting a 560 ti, seems that the latest drivers solved the issues. seems cheap and powerful at least.

I don't know what's up in AMDland though...
Old 13th Jun 2011, 01:01 PM   #4
Kantham
Fool.

Alright, so this Gigabyte motherboard would be better overall than this Asus one I first posted?
Or would I be only interested in it for overclocking?

I might plan on overclocking for sure, I read people could OC the I7 2600k using the stock (retail) heatsink.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
inferyes
Spaced In

Unless you are planning on going over to linux or doing a lot of OpenGL gaming then the Radeon 5800 series are really good.
inferyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post
For the GPU, I can recommend AGAINST the GTX 560 Ti. I have no knowledge of other mid range cards though. My GTX 580 was worth every penny to me, but I doubt the price would appeal to you.
Would have been nice to see that thread before getting my 560ti

Luckily no issues thus far, except for the stuff I mentioned in my thread about the cpu stuff.

Oh and Kantham if you do decide to get an Nvidia card, stay away from the latest drivers if you plan on playing Crysis 2. A bug is present that makes your weapons solid white, but only on the rainy levels. I downgraded to the 266.xx drivers and haven't had that issue since. You may even be safe with a few releases under 275.xx

Last edited by Capt.Toilet; 13th Jun 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Capt.Toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Kantham
Fool.

How's this card?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814130613
Old 13th Jun 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantham View Post
EVGA has always been faithful to me. Not seen one issue either of the cards I have owned from them.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 03:44 PM   #9
Kantham
Fool.

I am now considering this card.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814130593

It's pretty much the same exact thing, except for design (that one is much longer). I'd need to know which one of them is the newest and their AVG temperature. Power consumption is also a big plus.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Kantham
Fool.

Well it's done.

I did buy the EVGA superclocked 570 GTX and the motherboard Skakruk suggested after reading more about it, good thing I'll be able to overclock the i7 2600k.

I also liked the idea of precision with EVGA cards.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Kantham
Fool.

Yeah. Is there a problem with it?
Old 13th Jun 2011, 09:47 PM   #12
NRG
Master Console Hater

I know I'm a little late to throw my two cents in but all the budget systems I've built lately have had a 6790/6830/6850 in them. You just can't beat the price/performance ratio on them. They're quieter than the nvidia cards (ones with reference coolers anyway) and they allow me to opt for less expensive power supplies because the ATI cards currently draw way less power. Saves both on the build and the power bill.

Don't get me wrong, I run on nvidia right now but for most people I feel ATI has a big advantage. At the moment, I only recommend nvidia if the person has a fat wallet, a personal preference, 3D support or Linux support. Hell, the 6970 keeps up with the 580 GTX for far less in some games.

It's good you went with Sandy Bridge because they already have processors and motherboards in every price range with better performance than their older hardware. That stuff is getting phased out fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post
I would not encourage that. I tried using my 2600k with the stock cooler, and even at it's default clocks, it ran alarmingly hot under load. I think that miserable cooler was a negligent exercise in cost cutting on Intel's part. However, there are some excellent value aftermarket coolers available like the Hyper 212+. At the other end of the scale, I just bought an NH-D14, which I can definitely recommend on build quality alone.
+1. Intel decided to use their smaller 1U cooler for all the Sandy Bridge processors to cut costs on the metal used to make the heatsink. It works but it gets quite loud under load. They would have had much quiter processors out-of-the-box if they just kept using their nearly identical 2U coolers.

Did you order a CPU yet? The 2500k is way better bang for your buck. The performance gap between the 2500k and 2600k closes as you overclock both. When comparing both at about a 4.7+GHz, they actually perform almost identical, making the 2500k much better value. Obviously you can't get that high on either without a decent aftermarket cooler though.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Kantham
Fool.

Yeah I already ordered the i7 2600k and everything else along with it.

I don't plan to get overclocking going as soon as I get it, of course. And when I plan to get working on it, I will look into aftermarket cooling.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Kantham
Fool.

GSkill Sniper 4GB*2.
Simply because ripjaw is awful looking and they were the same spec/price.

I went for it by the feedback quality and density.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Bi()ha2arD
Toxic!

good choice. the 2600K overclocks really nicely.