NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2011, 09:42 PM   #81
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium
 
[GU]elmur_fud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 15th, 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfliet View Post


wow, someone HATES pronouns.
Technically the first letter of a sentence is generally capitalized. Also, if I remember my MLA standards, that should read; 'Wow! Someone HATES pronouns.' or 'Well, somebody HATES pronouns.' Albiet, I am no english teacher and work in the grocery industry, so I have had very little formal reason to use proper grammer in the past 11 years since I went college and failed to graduate. So I could be completely wrong.
__________________
In the original unity of the first things lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Last edited by [GU]elmur_fud; 31st May 2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: to be a bigger arse then b4
[GU]elmur_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 11:19 PM   #82
Renegade Retard
Defender of the newbie
 
Renegade Retard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec. 18th, 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 6,906
Renegade Retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 07:06 PM   #83
Benfica
European Redneck
 
Join Date: Feb. 6th, 2006
Posts: 2,005
UT
Benfica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 07:29 PM   #84
-Jes-
Shreddin'
 
-Jes-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 17th, 2005
Location: DM-HyperBlast
Posts: 2,648
Snake Eeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaateeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!! *dun dun dun DUUUUUUUNNN*
__________________
-Jes- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 08:55 PM   #85
Zur
surrealistic mad cow
 
Zur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 8th, 2002
Posts: 11,650
Virtual Valerie.
__________________

Zur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 09:24 PM   #86
dragonfliet
I write stuffs
 
dragonfliet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 24th, 2006
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
Technically the first letter of a sentence is generally capitalized. Also, if I remember my MLA standards, that should read; 'Wow! Someone HATES pronouns.' or 'Well, somebody HATES pronouns.' Albiet, I am no english teacher and work in the grocery industry, so I have had very little formal reason to use proper grammer in the past 11 years since I went college and failed to graduate. So I could be completely wrong.
Huh? Igoy got mad because after I quoted her, I said "don't listen to her" instead of "don't listen to Igoy." I was making light of the fact that she became so unusually upset by the use of a pronoun instead of her screenname. This has nothing to do with spelling, grammar or the like, merely an overreaction for a strange thing.

Yes, you will find that I often have small spelling and grammatical mistakes in my posts (such as accidentally mistaking million for billion recently), and likewise I don't criticize people for their small errors, as, you know, this is a casual setting in which proper grammatical construction is neither expected nor helpful. It is an internet forum, not my Master's Thesis. That being said, I'll help you along on a few points: 1) All of the ways you can think of saying that sentence (Wow! Someone...Wow, someone...Wow. Someone...) would be correct, each having a slightly different aesthetic difference, placing different emphasis on the words within the sentence (or sentences). 2) The MLA dictates references and citations (how to handle quotations, paraphrases, credit for ideas, etc. and how to integrate bibliographies (called Works Cited pages) into text), not grammar, for which, in English, there are only informal rules enforced nearly on whim, though with some which are held mostly uniform between cultures and regions.


To be on topic, a game I would love seeing turned into a movie would be Machinarium. What a gorgeous, interesting and unusual game; if handled right, it could make for a wonderful indie animation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Prophet View Post

WW1 I think it was more like "Hey allies! We'll lend you a hand" and Europe was like, "Pfff, whatever. Okay, like stand over there and do stuff", and America was all like, "Oh really!? You mean it! Oh Boy!", and after awhile the European allies were like, "Hey they're actually not bad. Fair play to the Yanks" and the French Allies were like, "Oh wee wee, they held their own", and the Americans were like, "Hey, what did you say France?" and France was all like, "Nothing. Go **** yourself."
dragonfliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 11:02 PM   #87
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium
 
[GU]elmur_fud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 15th, 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,888
That is all fine and dandy. However, I just was poking fun at your picking on her grammar whilst having such obvious grammatical flaws of your own.

--------------------------------------------

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
__________________
In the original unity of the first things lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation. ~ Edgar Allan Poe
[GU]elmur_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 01:04 AM   #88
SleepyHe4d
fap fap fap
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
That is all fine and dandy. However, I just was poking fun at your picking on her grammar whilst having such obvious grammatical flaws of your own.
Where the hell did he pick on her grammar? If anything should be made fun of, it's your ability to read.
SleepyHe4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 03:25 AM   #89
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium
 
[GU]elmur_fud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 15th, 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHe4d View Post
Where the hell did he pick on her grammar? If anything should be made fun of, it's your ability to read.
....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfliet View Post


wow, someone HATES pronouns.
What are these pronouns of which you speaks? Are they tastey?
__________________
In the original unity of the first things lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation. ~ Edgar Allan Poe
[GU]elmur_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 03:34 AM   #90
Plumb_Drumb
yumb
 
Plumb_Drumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 19th, 2002
Location: Denver Co. USA
Posts: 8,603
"Girl vs Girl: The Lesbian Conflict - Part 2"

THE CLIMAX.
The ultimate mother/daughter cliffhanger ending resolved!

Now with latex covered theater seats*

*seating limited. No less than two girls per seat. Men will be ejected (not ejacualted) upon exceeded capacity

COME ONE, COME ALL

Colorado borders open to repressed Utah residents.
__________________


Last edited by Plumb_Drumb; 1st Jun 2011 at 03:36 AM.
Plumb_Drumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 06:19 AM   #91
SleepyHe4d
fap fap fap
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
....


What are these pronouns of which you speaks? Are they tastey?
Let me explain, though Jason already has. Jason called Igoy a "her" instead of "Igoy" and Igoy got mad about that. "Her" is a pronoun, Jason used it, Igoy didn't like being referred to by that pronoun, hence she hates pronouns.



Having not made a comment on the topic yet, I would agree with HalfLife, Mass Effect, Dead Space, MAYBE Deus Ex and add in Halo even. Also Dead Island just because I like well made zombie movies.

Last edited by SleepyHe4d; 1st Jun 2011 at 06:23 AM.
SleepyHe4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 08:25 AM   #92
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium
 
[GU]elmur_fud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 15th, 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHe4d View Post
Let me explain, though Jason already has. Jason called Igoy a "her" instead of "Igoy" and Igoy got mad about that. "Her" is a pronoun, Jason used it, Igoy didn't like being referred to by that pronoun, hence she hates pronouns. ...
Well let me explain something to you. That is all blatantly obvious. However in stating it the manner he did it was also a grammatical argument. It doesn't matter how he meant it or what the back-story is, it is still a grammatical argument. In a sense your comments make it further a grammatical argument. by describing the orrigonal grammatical tiff that spawned his grammatical attack.

I still can't fathom the fascination with zombies and for 1 am tired of the zombie craze. If a zombie was real it would be extremely easy to combat. More worrisome would be what made it a zombie in the first place.
__________________
In the original unity of the first things lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation. ~ Edgar Allan Poe
[GU]elmur_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:18 AM   #93
dragonfliet
I write stuffs
 
dragonfliet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 24th, 2006
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GU]elmur_fud View Post
Well let me explain something to you. That is all blatantly obvious. However in stating it the manner he did it was also a grammatical argument. It doesn't matter how he meant it or what the back-story is, it is still a grammatical argument. In a sense your comments make it further a grammatical argument. by describing the orrigonal grammatical tiff that spawned his grammatical attack.
Stop. Just stop. It is blatantly obvious that you completely missed the actual point and are painfully trying to cover your tracks by making up ridiculous arguments.

Let me spell it out for you. It had nothing to do with a grammatical argument. Igoy did not say anything grammatically incorrect, she simply got very angry over me saying "her" instead of saying "Igoy," so I mocked her for supposedly hating pronouns. I had taken a ridiculous frustration and moved it to an equally ridiculous hatred of pronouns, pointing out how silly her argument was.

This is not an argument over grammar, but is rather one of word choice and how we address others--grammar is related to structures of sentences. While pronouns are a part of grammar, not all uses of the word pronoun necessitates a grammatical argument. By describing the "orrigonal" context, I am letting you try and comprehend what I was saying, none of which was an attack on grammar, but rather an attack on over-dramatic expression, or in other words, it was a rhetorical argument.

You, however, did go on the grammatical attack, pointing out the TERRIBLE sin of not capitalizing the beginning to my response. In that attack, you misidentified the MLA, incorrectly criticized the usage of the word wow and had a handful of misspellings (including grammar as "grammer"). You also failed to properly capitalize the word English. You were the only person mounting a grammatical attack and you failed to properly adhere to the the strict rules of grammar this would require.

Let me recap:
1) It was a rhetorical point, not a grammatical one
2) Clarifying it only continues in the vein of rhetorical argument
3) You are having a lot of trouble in properly identifying the difference between grammar and rhetoric, so perhaps you should stop lecturing others on the issue until you have properly resolved that problem.
3) You were the person who tried to wage a grammatical argument, and you were unable to rise to the challenge.
4) Stop. You are embarrassing yourself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Prophet View Post

WW1 I think it was more like "Hey allies! We'll lend you a hand" and Europe was like, "Pfff, whatever. Okay, like stand over there and do stuff", and America was all like, "Oh really!? You mean it! Oh Boy!", and after awhile the European allies were like, "Hey they're actually not bad. Fair play to the Yanks" and the French Allies were like, "Oh wee wee, they held their own", and the Americans were like, "Hey, what did you say France?" and France was all like, "Nothing. Go **** yourself."

Last edited by dragonfliet; 1st Jun 2011 at 09:19 AM.
dragonfliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:50 AM   #94
Al
Witted One
 
Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 21st, 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfliet View Post
By describing the "orrigonal" context
I lol'd.
__________________
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:58 AM   #95
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium
 
[GU]elmur_fud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 15th, 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfliet View Post
Stop. Just stop. It is blatantly obvious that you completely missed the actual point and are painfully trying to cover your tracks by making up ridiculous arguments...
Stop. Just stop. You sir are an imbecile. I made a joking stab at your comments structure, meaning, and tone considering your profession. Apparently you can't take it.

Oh and read a dictionary.



http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wow

–interjection
1.
(an exclamation of surprise, wonder, pleasure, or the like): Wow! Look at that!

Hmmmmm the similarities are uncanny to:

Quote:
wow, someone HATES pronouns.
Except one looks formatted properly and the other looks like it was written by a 14 year old girl.

Indeed I did mis-site the MLA but I also mentioned it has been a long time since I have had an occasion to employ much of a knowledge of it. What is your excuse?

I don't feel embarrassed. I see no reason to be such. I understand rhetoric perfectly, what baffles me though is how I was commenting on your comment specifically not on the argument between you and Igoy and that is apparently a completely alien concept to you. I am a bit annoyed at what seems to be excessively vehement post so I will format mine similarly. I am also saddened that you are apparently what passes an instrument of public education. No wonder it is total crap.
__________________
In the original unity of the first things lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation. ~ Edgar Allan Poe
[GU]elmur_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:06 AM   #96
kiff
That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
 
kiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 19th, 2008
Location: Tx.
Posts: 3,809
of all threads, who would've thought this would turn into grammar debate
kiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:07 AM   #97
Benfica
European Redneck
 
Join Date: Feb. 6th, 2006
Posts: 2,005
I have a suggestion: ignore them and get back on topic
Benfica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:45 AM   #98
M.A.D.X.W
Registered User
 
M.A.D.X.W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 24th, 2008
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakon View Post
Yay
__________________
"I love you to distraction, and even if you don't love me it doesn't matter, you will merely be my husband.
Please don't be afraid - I do not want to cause you any trouble, I want to be your domestic chattel, the very carpet you walk on...
I want to love you to eternity, I want to rescue you from yourself."
M.A.D.X.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:48 AM   #99
M.A.D.X.W
Registered User
 
M.A.D.X.W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 24th, 2008
Posts: 4,520
Also, shut up elmur.
__________________
"I love you to distraction, and even if you don't love me it doesn't matter, you will merely be my husband.
Please don't be afraid - I do not want to cause you any trouble, I want to be your domestic chattel, the very carpet you walk on...
I want to love you to eternity, I want to rescue you from yourself."
M.A.D.X.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2011, 11:15 AM   #100
[GU]elmur_fud
I have balls of Depleted Uranium
 
[GU]elmur_fud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 15th, 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D.X.W View Post
Also, shut up elmur.
get stuffed
__________________
In the original unity of the first things lies the secondary cause of all things, with the germ of their inevitable annihilation. ~ Edgar Allan Poe
[GU]elmur_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
companies that listen to me make millions, elmur fud successful in his dreams only, elmur_fud is dum, elmur_fud: captain of industry, get stuffed, gramma mormons, gramma nazis?, peaveys brainstorm fails, tag faggots strike again., uwe boll was here, ~idiots

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer