Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > General Infiltration Discussion

Old 2nd Dec 2010, 03:02 AM   #41
St0rmcaller
[AFA]'s unoffical godfather

Good to see some of the old guard still alive and kickin' at least. Every time I try a new FPS I can't but help to think of the things that INF did so long ago, and that no game has even come close. Everytime I play a crappy map, I think of the INF mappers, especially Raek and Funk, knowing how well they did on an engine that was old even when INF was in its prime.

Whenever I see circle strafers, I think of what yurch did with his yurchbat to combat unrealisticshooting, moving, communicating. (Remember the yurch tackle? o.O)

I remember so many quality people working on what was effectively dinosaur game code, and making and molding into something that even today's tech can't compete with.

It's so sad. With so many years of innovation since INF 2.9, nothing has come close. The free aim, the movement, the collision. But one thing no game could ever have was the people of INF. It makes me think fondly of ages ago, and I realize that what we had with Infiltration was indeed so special, there can truly never be another like it.

And yet, we seek it still.

AFA Message Board
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Ben Franklin
-To believe in the life of Love, to walk in the way of Honor, and to serve in the light of Truth...
-When the soldier gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting, sir. I've served my time in Hell."
St0rmcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 04:24 AM   #42
Psychomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rmcaller View Post
It's so sad. With so many years of innovation since INF 2.9, nothing has come close. The free aim, the movement, the collision. But one thing no game could ever have was the people of INF. It makes me think fondly of ages ago, and I realize that what we had with Infiltration was indeed so special, there can truly never be another like it.
What makes me sad is the fact that I was not around from the very beginning. I am glad though I was around when 2.9 was released, I remember the excitement of waiting when it was only few hours away from release and then the first testing rounds with all the folks you knew from the forum (I still remember like it was yesterday, the first gun I tested on CTF-INF-Border was the new shotgun). Great times!
Psychomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 04:57 PM   #43
Psychomorph

For nostalgia sake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db45o...eature=related
Psychomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 06:37 PM   #44
zeep
:(

Man that took me back..
zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 08:20 PM   #45
ragingsamster
oldfartis nongratis

Echoing the sentiments here, the current crop of shooter are more sparkly, but Infiltration still has not been surpassed. It's such a shame when every new game comes out and Inf still wins overall. I miss SOBservers *sigh*
Old 5th Dec 2010, 09:19 AM   #46
Vega-don
arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rmcaller View Post
Good to see some of the old guard still alive and kickin' at least. Every time I try a new FPS I can't but help to think of the things that INF did so long ago, and that no game has even come close. Everytime I play a crappy map, I think of the INF mappers, especially Raek and Funk, knowing how well they did on an engine that was old even when INF was in its prime.

Whenever I see circle strafers, I think of what yurch did with his yurchbat to combat unrealisticshooting, moving, communicating. (Remember the yurch tackle? o.O)

I remember so many quality people working on what was effectively dinosaur game code, and making and molding into something that even today's tech can't compete with.

And yet, we seek it still.
Nothing comes close to infiltration. it was just so cool. Too bad it works badly with laptops. The developers can be proud that this game is still praised as the best, the forum is still alive, 5 years after.. I always come back to this forum..
Vega-don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2010, 08:26 PM   #47
GalZohar

I do think Arma 2 is somewhat compareable on the levels of realism. Sure Inf did a lot of things better, but Arma 2 also does a lot of things better than Inf, and imo it wins out in the end. Of course for 10 years later you'd expect a lot more than what Arma 2 provides, but we don't really have a choice. So for good measure I'll spam this link again because Inf and DTAS is what I had in mind when I made it so I really want all ex (and current) Inf players to do their best to get it played on servers...

Last edited by GalZohar; 7th Jan 2011 at 08:53 AM.
GalZohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2010, 10:15 AM   #48
PoDS
Clan Limey Psychopath

Welcome, PoDS.
You last visited: 22nd Aug 2001 at 08:21 PM

i saw an Arma 2 trailer and :nostalgia: kicked in, so i started googling INF related stuff. Now im gonna look for a thread with downloads and how-to-install

i guess i never really used these forums, judging by my postcount and join/visit dates, but i was very very much into this game, it was my first encounter with online gaming, and now 10 years later i still suffer from that encounter

Last edited by PoDS; 12th Dec 2010 at 10:17 AM.
PoDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 01:34 AM   #49
Catalyst^

Wow... I can't believe they keep this forum up and running. Good to see some of you old chaps still kickin' around. I should get Infiltration up and running again one of these days. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi" again to everyone that remembers me!
Catalyst^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2011, 01:38 AM   #50
Catalyst
science begets death

Oh here's my real account, lol.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2011, 05:48 PM   #51
erehwoN
The Bass Ackwards BTL

Man, seeing these names bring back a bunch of great memories. Hi Raek, subby, yurch, Storm, Chronic, etc. etc. Time certainly does fly.

What's new with me you ask? Well... I got married this summer (proof attached), live in the 'burbs, work downtown Denver for corporate America, and we just got a puppy. Life is grand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD3_5736.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	101572  

In Hoc Signo Vinces.
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.
AFA's Homepage :: New AFA Forums :: INF's Official IRC- irc.gamesurge.net #Infiltration
erehwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2011, 12:03 PM   #52
Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar
AFA Member & Beta Team Target

awesome, congrats ERE.

I always poke around here to make sure I'm not missing anything these days.

still in Dallas, working for the Dept of Justice and watching the Superbowl preparations from my office this week.

still play FPS games but I cannot play even my favorite without always getting frustrated and thinking to myself that we had "this problem" solved 8 years ago... why can't they fix it in this game.

basically play Battlefield2ad Company 2, sports games and every so often I play the Call of Duty games.

Married with a kiddo now days...

and as always still waiting for something to replace Infiltration as the closest to reality FPS game.

if i look into your eyes, will i feel the harmony
rise and converge above?
sitting in this meadow i long to feel my animal
trying to find a way out
beneath the surface do you feel the will to kill,
to kill without any doubt?
alright

Boyhitscar
Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2011, 02:42 PM   #53
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Congrats erehwoN.

It is nice to see old names around here. During my Christmas vacation, I hopped on the INF servers a little, but haven't seen much action. Other than that, I pretty much left gaming behind me as I moved oversees to Germany. I didn't bring my gaming computer along the ride as it was supposed to be only for a short period. Now it seems that its going to be for quite longer.

--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:53 AM   #54
Hadmar
Queen Bitch of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogob View Post
I moved oversees to Germany.
Biggest mistake ever.
Old 8th Feb 2011, 03:57 PM   #55
2_SeeK_U
uni.... meh...

Congrats erehwoN!

2_SeeK_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 06:25 AM   #56
TheWhaleShark
This world is spinning around me

So Raekwon is ConArtist now? Cool. I dig your games. I wind up spending entirely too much time on Kongregate.

I still haven't found anything as tactical as Inf was. My guess is that there's just no market for this sort of game any more. Console gaming dominates, and I can't imagine trying to pull this off on a console.

Good times, though. Good times.

Jesus saves!...and takes half damage.
TheWhaleShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2011, 06:48 AM   #57
Night Hawk

I agree with all the sentiments posted in this topic here. I was never a big poster on these forums, but I was a big INF fan. And every once in a while I come back to the infiltration website in some fleeting hope it has been updated. I remember the time when everybody was playing CS while I just couldn't play it because I was 'tainted' with infiltration's realism. Haven't played much FPS games since, cause I kept comparing them to INF and I'm still doing that. And I can't play ARMA2 now though cause my computer is getting to old.
Night Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2011, 07:36 AM   #58
zeep
:(

somebody needs to put the band back together
zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2011, 12:45 PM   #59
Jackal
Crapass

what is this?
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 04:20 PM   #60
Razorflower
It hurts.

Lurker. <<

Good god. 11 years. I am the Uber lurker.