UT3 DM-Rustees

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Name: DM-Rustees

Description: After the **** hit the fan, Rustee set up shop in an abandoned military base. "Rustees Post-Apocalyptic Arms and Munitions" he calls it. The city folk don't know them big words, but they know them some guns, and Rustee provides.

Screenshots:

[SCREENSHOT]http://mclogenog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/rustees1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://mclogenog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/rustees3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://mclogenog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/rustees2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Video:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pTpqr7kmoM[/M]

Download:
http://www.filefront.com/16643263/DM-Rustees.zip/

Note: So, this level's a bit odd. I started work on it back around December or November, then I put it on hold, then my computer broke. This last week I finally returned to it, finished the last bit of meshing, and rebuilt most of the lighting. I know most of you aren't playing UT3 anymore, but I felt like releasing it anyway. So, here it is.

Last edited:

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Look interesting :)

From the pics, you did a good job on the lighting & the meshing look good to.

BTW, many still play UT3. I know most forums are deserted but I know plenty of folks who play the game including me ofc.

Will try it asap :D

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
Note: So, this level's a bit odd. I started work on it back around December or November, then I put it on hold, then my computer broke. This last week I finally returned to it, finished the last bit of meshing, and rebuilt most of the lighting. I know most of you aren't playing UT3 anymore, but I felt like releasing it anyway. So, here it is.

While you're right about me not playing anymore, I just wanted to say that this looks fantastic. Work like this always makes me wanna go back to the editor and screw around one last time...

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
Looks pretty awesome!

I think whether people play UT3 or not (which they do), the fact you've got this level to say to people: 'i made this', is on par with the satisfaction of seeing people actually play it.

For example, although more people play UT2004, i'd make maps for UT3 merely because i can create something visually amazing that i can show people.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Looks very nice mclogenog. One thing, that 3rd shot shows it best. There isn't much light bouncing around from the very bright sunlight. To me, it doesn't look right and could have done with being a bit brighter where there's so much sun that should be lighting the environment up.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Looks good, I'll get to trying this one eventually.:)

EDIT: the shots look a helluva lot better now that I'm looking at them on my home 24" LCD.:)

Last edited:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Thanks guys, it was a fun map to make, and I'm glad it's finally done.

Looks very nice mclogenog. One thing, that 3rd shot shows it best. There isn't much light bouncing around from the very bright sunlight. To me, it doesn't look right and could have done with being a bit brighter where there's so much sun that should be lighting the environment up.
I used a fair amount of pseudo-bounce lights, but I see what you mean. Lightmass has corrupted me :B

EDIT: I've included a video with the original post now.

Last edited:

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
I did a match with 2 adept bots & it was very cool.

In general, it's a solid map (loved the layout) but I found some things that aren't right imho.

Visually:

- All the room where is the fire is way to bright. The light radius is to much & to bright.

- I found it rather odd to see floor tiles on walls ??? Not that it's ugly but since there is plenty of stock industrial stuff at your disposal that could be in there, those tiles could be replaced by a lot of better looking assets. I was expecting more detailed materials based on the pics (specially those stock support beams & wood planck).

Gameplay

- Putting 2 medium health near the sniper & 2 more a bit far away (but very close to collect) is imo no good. It only encourage camping, specially with 2 set of ammo nearby.

- The shock placement could be better, to much easy to do shock combo to dominate the scene under you. Gameplay would be better if it was another weapon there (link, stinger, bio, enforcer).

- One player start near the rocket launcher is facing the container.

Since this is the final, I wanted to let you know why I won't keep the map. I didn't check for correct footstep sound on materials / SM & other basic things nor nice little touches since I had limited time. This is a 5 mins match but it's enough for me to be convinced or not.

THX for your work :D

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Also digging the level here, got a couple pretty good 1v1s online with it so far, fun stuff.

Thanks for sharing :)

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
I really like that map. Desert canyons in combination of industiral buildings were not that much used so far (IMO). Good job with that one. Also like this pipe settings. I dont know if you have used any new static meshes or materials (since I dont map for ut3, I can not see that as well in those cases), but even if not, you used the existing stuff really pretty good. For me this map is a real keeper.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I like this one!

Yes, this one has great lighting/shadows (I think it's bright enough), good music choice, awesome-looking fire/smoke, spiderwebs and a layout with good flow and connectivity. The weapon/item placement is good, but I'm not sure about the sniper rifle really fitting in with this map; I'm thinking replace the sniper with the chaingun. There is some z-axis, but I wouldn't put this in the rotation on a z-axis map server or anything. It has wild gameplay and the bots are good. This one must rock online!:)