UT3 DM-Glacial-24 [Beta, updated on Jan.10, 2010]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
DM-Glacial-RC1 [Release Candidate 1, updated on June 06, 2010]

Name:
Glacial

Version:
Release Candidate 1

Compatibility:
PC
PS3

Description:
A church locates in a place of ice and snow, and active volcano which is going to erupt.

Comments:
This was another map I ever planned to release for UCMP. The first version was long ago as we were still playing UT2004. I got inspired by a map from CPMA: CPM14. I guess some of you maybe still remember what it is. I also liked the illumination in a few q3 maps(yes, again) though I don't remember the names.
So I began to design this, for UT2004, the early version was kinda like "GrendelKeep" meets "CPM14", but as I was pretty busy with another map, I didn't finish this one before UT3 came out.
I really liked the basic layout, so I decided to port it for UT3, more precisely, remake everything, as the movement system is really different.

Changes in the latest version:
- Refined AO textures
- Statues and relief
- Fixed collision bugs
- New textures for the buildings
- Balanced the whole tune of the map
- More lighting contrast. Some areas are darker and the shadows are more visible
- Mesh for the lifts
- Improved portal visual
- Lamp and torch. and the particles for lighting
- Improved the lava abyss and the falling to death effect
- Footstep sound added
- Ambient sound effects added
- Fixed UV problems for the floor textures
- AI pathing improved
- Short video added as map preview
- And many other small improvements and refinements

Changes in old versions:

Version31
- Normalmap
- Fake AO textures
- Lightmap
- Tuned diffuse textures
- Specular
- Collision
- New meshes for the cross and the portal
- many other small ones

Version 27
- Texture mapping for the whole map
- Added SMesh details
- Added Enforcer
- New location for Thighpad
- Tuned vials locations
- Bio rifle is now where the Thighpad was
- Removed one Stinger
- New locations for Stinger and Linkgun

Version 24
- A lot of layout modifications which I don't bother to list them here, but you can check the below pictures for some of them
- Visually reset. So it's going to be Roman + Gothic, and have lots of broken stuff like pillars or walls (not that much to make it a over decorated map) which of course inspired by Painkiller. And still keep the neat HOLP style
- Remade the whole map with 3dsmax so no BSP
- Changed item placement

Screenshot:
ScreenShot00212s.jpg

ScreenShot00209s.jpg

ScreenShot00206s.jpg

ScreenShot00198s.jpg

ScreenShot00195s.jpg

ScreenShot00248s.jpg

ScreenShot00242s.jpg

ScreenShot00230s.jpg

ScreenShot00191s.jpg

Video:
Some of the jumps you can do in this map:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPrCrxe5i-8

Credits:
EPIC //For creating UT3 and the Mod tools
Valve //Some textures of this map are based on HL2 textures
PCF //One or two textures are based on Painkiller. And the whole visual style is inspired by this game
idsoft and CPMA //The gameplay-wised layout is inspired by CPMA maps
UCMP guys:
Luv_Studd
G.Lecter
barballs
Slainchild
Sjosz
Zio
ArcadiaVincennes
And others...

* Also thanks to the guys for comments and support, in random order:
stevelois
J3FFyB
Bret Hart
Brits__Hit
EpicJon
KamilR
wael
SEBASTIEN-NOVA
Mr.UglyPants
Hellclown
djroby
TIPPER
M^vL
Bl!tz~
Lord_PorkSword
pan1978108
Albert M
molosev
»TheHitMan«
rulaman
Taffy
GreatEmerald
razer121
WedgeBob
milb
TurdDrive
Darkdrium
Waffnuffly
Ignotium
Bi()ha2arD
HedgeMaster
Thrallala
DarkSonny
medoo
hiyizi
miaozzZ
Paperfly
AMIO
qwer
zkboss
xinger
Porky

Homepage:
https://sites.google.com/site/chongleevoxels/

Download:

PC Version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMapForUT/DM-Glacial/DM-Glacial-RC1.zip

PS3 Version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMapForUT/DM-Glacial/DM-Glacial-RC1-PS3.zip

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
OK, I began to make this one in 2006, and tried a few times to finish it but never succeed. But this time I am sure it's the time.
24 means this is the 24th version of this map. Of course not each version means a big change but still kinda crazy I think. For those guys ever saw this map before. Yes it was named as "Gloom". And visually it was totally different (maybe not that much as you can still find those quake-ish elements).
Just ignore the wash-out textures. They are there just to show you the layout clearly. And also the lighting is temporary. You may find some collision bugs and just ignore them too as I don't begin to check that yet.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It's rather difficult to say something when there are no textures at all. I see the layout, but I don't see the idea, what is the arena supposed to mean. From the shape (and buttresses) I guess that it's a Romanesque church?

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
Hey dude! I'm all over this one :)

Will give it a whack and get back to you with thoughts

Edit: Wow! that is one huge map. The scaling is great. I noticed a few areas where you get the flickering (when you get to statics occupying the same space flicker on the right side of the thigh pads. I managed to see outside the map once or twice as I rounded corners. Where the walls meet in a corner you can just catch a millisecond glimpse of the skydome. I was unable to replicate it or I would have posted a screenshot along with this post.

Will be eagerly awaiting the next version to give some more proper testing.

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Whoa, can't believe you remade it entirely... once again! :con:

I'll try to play some of the later betas [can't test this one because of exams, sorry :rolleyes:].

Haha! yup, once again! I can't believe that too. And this time I think I've finally decided what this map is supposed to be.
I still remember those ideas you gave for the early versions of this map in 2006. That's really a long time.:eek:

It's rather difficult to say something when there are no textures at all. I see the layout, but I don't see the idea, what is the arena supposed to mean. From the shape (and buttresses) I guess that it's a Romanesque church?

Maybe it's a church, but who knows exactly? The idea is blending Roman with Gothic, and Quake-ish with Painkiller-ish. And keep it simple.
It's located somewhere very cold, as you can see from the name, and there is lava underground which emerges here and there.
Sorry for the textures, but right now my top priority is to finish the layout and the basic modelling. The textures will be added after that.

Hey dude! I'm all over this one :)

Will give it a whack and get back to you with thoughts

Edit: Wow! that is one huge map. The scaling is great. I noticed a few areas where you get the flickering (when you get to statics occupying the same space flicker on the right side of the thigh pads. I managed to see outside the map once or twice as I rounded corners. Where the walls meet in a corner you can just catch a millisecond glimpse of the skydome. I was unable to replicate it or I would have posted a screenshot along with this post.

Will be eagerly awaiting the next version to give some more proper testing.

Thx! It's a map for TDM. You don't have to take screenshots for me, as I know where those flickering stuff is. And they may stay there for a few versions before I can detail the whole map modelling.
BTW, how about your new UT99 remake? Looking forward to that one as the original was one of my favorites:)

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
Yeah I figured that's what it was for. I just don't remember The 2004 version feeling as big. Not that I am complaining mind you :)

Malevolence just about done. I've had some of the more dedicated fans of the original recently come out of the woodwork so I'm getting their last thoughts in before the last release.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
hehe, quite as clean as BSP.
milb, why do you think the previous was better? Any detailed comments?
The new textures have less contrast coz I think it will do a better job when lighting is added. To build nice and sharp lighting/shadow, usually we need diffuse maps to be generally even and not having too much strong lines/shapes.
But untill I begin to do the lighting part, I can't be very sure if they will work well, so share me your ideas;p
:)

milb

****** from Teen Arts
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
www.milb-maps.net
It's simply my personal taste. I don't like colorful industrial maps. The maps visuals worked well for me. Now, they don't. It looks like a failed triy to add more color in general. I rather see you adding some color by adding colored stripes on those desaturated textures you used before. See example:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img10.abload.de/img/clacial_changeiez5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
milb. That blue stripe is a bug. I have no idea why that happened.

Currently the map is 80% done. The last two months I was working on the meshes details, and the lighting. Now I have something to show you guys. Although just a few screenshots but you can see what this map is going to look like.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I really like the architecture and all the details, but I'm not sure you can use only lighting to bring colour to the map. I think you will need a few different textures for the walls.