Unreal 3D game engine Q's?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wiz4ha

Jul 7, 2000
Howdy doo. I was wondering if you need to purchase rights from 3D realms to use the Unreal game engine for your own original game. not a mod, but a game i was wanting to sell.

any info on this would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to sell a game and find out that it's illegal to sell the game using that engine, and end up in court if you know what i mean.

---------------------------------------------

BTW, you can find out about the game at my company's site: smileygames.8m.com
The game is called Night Stalkers: Vampires Kiss.

------------------
WiZ

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Yes, Epic (not 3d Realms, they do the Duke series) will happily charge you for the license to sell it. I suggest e-mail Mark Rein (**** how do you spell his name?) and getting information from him.

I don't know Mark Rein's e-mail address so you'll have to rummage through Epic's site and try to get some info from them.
http://www.epicgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wanderer (edited 11-17-1999).]

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
There are several documents, many dated as regards UT, on the epic tech pages. http://.unreal.epicgames.com

As for dollar amounts you'd have to talk to Mark. They are including tons of new material with a license though and it covers a lot of technology. You might also get in touch with the guys at AlienLegion and NeXS? I think they have some sort of license. Anyway you can always develop using Unreal then when you are ready to go commercial, obtain investors and a license. At least with Unreal you have access to almost everything you need to do a free demo. Good Luck!

wiz4ha

Jul 7, 2000
yea...i meant epic. couldn't think of the name. thanks for the info Wanderer and Githianki, i appreciate. the more i find out, and the faster i find it out, the sooner a release of a demo or test of NS:VK will be out.

bullet2.gif

WiZ