MechWarrior Reboot Being Developed On UE3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Some of you in the past few days have probably heard that there is a MechWarrior reboot title in the works and seen the gorgeous looking teaser trailers. Well, a Q&A with Jordan Weisman, co-founder of FASA, and Russ Bullock, President of Piranha Games who is developing the new title has been posted on IGN. The interview reveals that the game is being developed on UE3 (if you can't seem to find it, it's on page 5 where they are discussing platform development). And, to satiate those itchy nerves, here are a couple of teaser vids. (Teaser vids replaced with full trailer)

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Heh, just what I thought when I saw the trailer.

That much lack of color can only come from UE3, damn I was right

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
The physics look really convincing. I like how the mechs move slowly like you would expect from a huge machine, and the buildings are destructible.

Definitely looking good so far.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It certainly looks good even though such huge monsters are pretty unrealistic ;)
Let's hope they make it every bit as sim-like as the original mechwarrior games.

// --
It's a shame that the entire video is a pre-rendered advertisement though, because it looks like it'll be at least two years before we'd be seeing anything.

Last edited:

FroDo

aka FrozenDozer
It certainly looks good even though such huge monsters are pretty unrealistic ;)
It's UNREAL Engine, goddamn :D
ugly.gif

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I'm skeptical. I'm usually not the "omg consolified thsi is going 2 sukc lolo" kinda guy, but I refuse to belive that they can pull off legitimate simulator controls with a gamepad.
I have high standards for my mech games. I bought steel battalion, just to give you an idea.

Yeah man, I'm not touching any giant fighting robot games if they're not realistic.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Interesting thing to note -- it's a 3015 game so that puts it right near the end of the Third Succession War.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm skeptical. I'm usually not the "omg consolified thsi is going 2 sukc lolo" kinda guy, but I refuse to belive that they can pull off legitimate simulator controls with a gamepad.
I have high standards for my mech games. I bought steel battalion, just to give you an idea.

Yeah man, I'm not touching any giant fighting robot games if they're not realistic.

Not necessarily. There's enough controls on the gamepad to handle all of the important functions. There were a lot of controls in the original MechWarrior, but most of them were more for like "omg that's kinda cool" rather than being really useful or essential to gameplay. As long as the mech customization is as detailed and complex as MechWarrior 2's I'll be happy.

The graphics are awesome. Truely this is how MechWarrior games were supposed to look all along.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
There's a full trailer out now, but it's not super exciting. Reminds me a bit of the mw3 intro.