News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 26th Mar 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
SamKablam

Lighting of moving actors

For one of my levels, I'm trying to make floating lanters. I created the matinee for the base object of the lantern, then used the 'attach actor' script for the other parts of it. The whole thing moves fine, except for two things:

1) The light source that I want to attach to the lantern to give a "floating light" effect doesn't move like the other actors. I don't believe that it attaches to the matinee object properly.

2) The moving actors don't light properly. In doing some searching, I found that as moving actors, they aren't part of the 'static' lighting channel, only the 'dynamic' moving channel. When I check the static lighting box and build the level, they light up properly. However, in playing the level, they're removed from the lighting channel.

So, how can I attach a light to a moving object, and how do I get moving actors to light up properly?
SamKablam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
_N_
addicted to mapping

Yeah, I also tried putting interp actors on the static channel but it seems UT3 doesn't let you do this. Instead, you need to tell the lights to broadcast on the Dynamic channel.

Also, what kinds of lights are you attaching to the "floating lanters"? Plain ol' fashioned point lights are static and can't be moved. If you want a movable lights, you need to use the performance-intensive dynamic lights instead.
_N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
TurdDrive
sam k

dymanic light leave a very bad quality of lighting

correct me if i am wrong
Behold the sign you are killing us.
TurdDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 05:18 PM   #4
SamKablam

Well, I did check off the "force dynamic lighting" because I want the light source to come from inside of the lamps versus having to build a bunch of lights around each individual lamp.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get a moving object to receive proper lighting instead of being all black, as well as attach a light to a moving object so the light moves as well.
SamKablam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Hourences

Like said, set the lamps and its surroundings to the Dynamic channel or an unnamed channel.

Do not use a regular light, go to your actor browser, expand light section, and find movable point light.

Disable shadowcast on the lamp mesh if the light is inside.

Dynamic lights have superior lighting quality, but you must use compositeshadows and not the standard ones.