BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 26th Mar 2009, 01:48 PM   #21
Darkdrium
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo(T.C.K.) View Post
blah blah blah
It drags and drops onto something on the screen, something that you see in your viewport obviously, not some place random. Therefore if you make a mistake you will see it. And CTRL+Z takes care of mistakes well enough.

Plus it's not like level artists were excited monkeys, they show great precision and thoroughness in their work, so it's highly unlikely they're going to miss a wrong material applied in the area they are working in before they hit rebuild.
Darkdrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 01:54 PM   #22
Molgan
T-minus whenever

Drag n' drop owns! :P

Make love, not flame ____________________________________My UT2004 maps
------------------------------->This is how I meditate<------------------------------
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 02:21 PM   #23
dub

blah blah blah...

Wear drag n' drop your knickers?
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 02:48 PM   #24
zynthetic
robot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
What does the MCP actually do?

Whatever it wants
Old 26th Mar 2009, 02:52 PM   #25
TheSpoonDog
CBP3! Yarrr!

Wow that impresses me...

I guess with the drag n drop of material onto mesh, they could do it (may already be like) so if the poly/tri you dropped onto has id=1 it would use that slot. Thing is, most games use one material per mesh anyway for performance reasons.

The MCP does look great how it can show you those kind of stats on your level - but I really wonder how much of a b1tch it is to set up - I mean, I imagine you'd have to outline the gameplay areas by hand - and I wonder how it's handled when there are multiple levels of play on top of each other? Picking which gameplay you want to record the stats for?

... and yea the lighting looks just awesome. Pity we won't have a UT to use it in for years Just have to get some contract work I suppose!
TheSpoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 02:53 PM   #26
Chandler
Self Unemployed

Really excited to see this. Did anyone find it funny at all that they effectively looped the MCP part and the music picked up, and all it is, are two separate heat maps (three. maybe) and it's got fast cut away, and "awesome action shots", etc? I just had to chuckle while watching it.

Mos def cool though.
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:14 PM   #27
nELsOn
bSnakeCastShadow = True

okay, the changes to the way you apply materials or insert meshes and so on looked okay but there was some stuff i didn't really understand.
however, when the lighting section started i was pretty much drooling on my keyboard. this is just really impressive
me wants!

nelson's portfolio

Last edited by nELsOn; 26th Mar 2009 at 03:16 PM.
nELsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:18 PM   #28
The_Head
JB Mapper

I hope this gets added into UT3

Some impressive stuff - as to complaining about having drag and drop. I seriously doubt they will have removed the normal methods - and if you drag and drop accidental you're clearly a tool.
[21:14] <The_Head> i feel dirty
[21:14] <RevBillyG> O_o
[21:14] <The_Head> *shudders at the thought*
[21:14] <RevBillyG> its fine as long as you clean up afterwards

Last edited by The_Head; 26th Mar 2009 at 03:22 PM.
The_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:35 PM   #29
Mozi
Zer0 as a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Head View Post
I hope this gets added into UT3

Some impressive stuff - as to complaining about having drag and drop. I seriously doubt they will have removed the normal methods - and if you drag and drop accidental you're clearly a tool.
Good point, cause those of you that now use UE 3 for UT 3 notice that it shipped with the widget tools to act like Max or Maya but you can turn those off and do things the old school way...the editor does not force you to use those widgets.

I assume drag and drop is the same deal as The_Head mentioned...it's there but would not be surprised if right clicking in the scene and clicking add actor still works...

mozidesign.com
twitter: @mozidesigner
Mozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:17 PM   #30
N1ghtmare
Sweet Dreams

Just because you drag and drop does not mean you have to leave it there-of course you are going to adjust it. This just makes it easier to put in the same vicinity.

jeesh.
N1ghtmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:24 PM   #31
lashtal

Darn, looks awesome but do they plan to release some standalone app to use the engine in realtime arch viz? I mean i'd like to see a ut3 powered exporter for some 3d app sometime.

Btw does GI get calculated in realtime or everything is baked into lightmap? If everything is baked its no good for any moving parts of the level, obviously.

Last edited by lashtal; 26th Mar 2009 at 04:26 PM.
lashtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:27 PM   #32
Lee3dee
I make stuff go BOOM!

you know you can press S to drop in a mesh in UT3

Lighting looks as good as Beast's lighting engine that is an add-on for UE3. Wonder if they compute times are as long.
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:33 PM   #33
Slyrr77

Lightmass: Yet another way 3D developers are laboring to make sure that you can't see a dang THING....

Seriously - anyone who misses Darkmatching from Unreal1 - why? All you have to do is play UT3, where you can't see anything at all, even in the outdoor daylight levels....
Slyrr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:48 PM   #34
lashtal

@Slyrr77 - meh, stop whining. Its called proper exposure — try to take a photo on a sunny day: while sunlit areas will appear bright, unlit will be almost black. Its how all the cameras work. To reduce the difference just use higher gamma setting, but doing so will kill contrast making images appear dull.
lashtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 05:00 PM   #35
Bazzwano
Hi, I'm Bryan

I want this... I cant wait for UT to get this engine update.

Whatever beat that drives the impulse, whatever tune that

carries through, What's in a soul that rattles empty, in this
reality too few Dark Tranquillity
member since April 07 + 600 posts
CTF-Safeguard3, CTF-Dreary3, CTF-Stratus (V1.2), CTF-Pipeline(WIP)
My Rig: CPU:C2D-E8500, GPU:GF-250GTS, RAM:4GB 6800C4, HDD: 2x 150gb WD Raptor, CASE: Mini Gigibyte MX
Bazzwano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 05:12 PM   #36
toniglandyl
internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwano View Post
I cant wait for UT to get this engine update.
yes you can
Old 26th Mar 2009, 05:13 PM   #37
Ignotium
Que hora es?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniglandyl View Post
yes you can
and you will
Old 26th Mar 2009, 05:13 PM   #38
Slyrr77

Quote:
meh, stop whining. Its called proper exposure — try to take a photo on a sunny day: while sunlit areas will appear bright, unlit will be almost black. Its how all the cameras work.
All I know is I got tired of the 'pitch black or totally washed out' look after playing Doom3. Plus the human eye is not a camera. A photo may well look as you described, but the human eye will show much more range and what you see isn't what the camera sees.

The HL2 engine managed to pull bright areas, dark areas, and have a nice MID-range as well. Surely they could do this in the UT3 engine? Or is it just the level designers doing this?

If so - come on, people. Not every level has to be the interior of a coal mine at midnight with a couple of flourescent bulbs here and there....

Last edited by Slyrr77; 26th Mar 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Slyrr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 06:15 PM   #39
LANCE.xd
Flak Monkey

The human eye adjusts its exposure to bright light on the fly. Wherever you look you'll have the lighting adjusted to comfortable levels fairly quickly. Your eyes dart around a lot which gives the illusion of a higher light range, when in reality it's constantly adjusting the range based on where you're looking.

HL2 is the closest I've come across so far to simulating this effect, by adjusting lighting levels based on where you're looking. But it has the same drawbacks as the eye, only it's more obvious in HL2 because you have the whole screen to look at. Point your crosshair at a bright light and try to get a good look at the rest of the room. It just doesn't work.

I don't disagree with you in that UT3 as it is could use a better balance of lighting. But from the looks of what they showed us in the demo, their lighting solution seems to make most things in their environments reasonably visible. The map in the light demo likely wasn't a UT3 gameplay map. So it'd make sense that there'd be excessively dark areas in the level to demonstrate the capabilities of their lighting.

LANCE.xd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 06:16 PM   #40
neoduck

wooooooooot! that stuff looks aaaawesome!

one of the coolest things with that browser is that now you don't have to open individual asset files any more. you just search, and it scours through them for you.

hopefully not long till i'm working with it!
neoduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drag n' drop, leotck strikes again, madness?, mindless bu idiocy, mindless idiocy and madness, neoduck's mum, pow - pile of whiners, pow- point of whiners, spartaaaaa!!!!, whiners can stfu now