News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Series > Unreal

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:05 AM   #81
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exus Tecius View Post
another question for me is why unreal mantas are not living in water.
and are biter fishes piranhas ?
Mantas have been always aerial creatures in Unreal from early development. They can go in water, and they swim faster than a Slith (but they don't pose a similar threat).

Biterfish aren't really piranhas. There are the ones who eat and those who are harmless. They'll damage you if touched. Overall they need to die.
__________________
UnrealSP.org Staff Member
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 09:49 AM   #82
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep
 
GreatEmerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4,042
Mantas fly, so they have no reason to live in water. Why should, say, pigeons live in water? Mantas were named so just because their form is similar to the earth manta ray.

And no, biterfish aren't piranhas. Piranhas live on Earth, and that is Na Pali. Also, they don't attack players exclusively if they are injured. Furthermore, players are attacked by single fish, not by the whole school (unless you are unlucky enough to fall right in a middle of a school...). Moreover, there are biterfish that show no interest in attacking other living beings at all.
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 10:56 AM   #83
Leo(T.C.K.)
Registered User
 
Leo(T.C.K.)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 14th, 2006
Posts: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
Mantas fly, so they have no reason to live in water. Why should, say, pigeons live in water? Mantas were named so just because their form is similar to the earth manta ray.

And no, biterfish aren't piranhas. Piranhas live on Earth, and that is Na Pali. Also, they don't attack players exclusively if they are injured. Furthermore, players are attacked by single fish, not by the whole school (unless you are unlucky enough to fall right in a middle of a school...). Moreover, there are biterfish that show no interest in attacking other living beings at all.
That's the same as Pupae, they were named after pupae i guess because of the simmilar shape, even if technically they are not...
Leo(T.C.K.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 12:18 PM   #84
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep
 
GreatEmerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4,042
Yeap, possibly. Seems developers name those monsters, then the name sticks to them and so they just leave them as they were. Another example (not a monster though :P ) would be Dalton from Unreal II, he was named after Scott Dalton despite his protests. And the name sticked, so we now have John Dalton.
There are a few examples of when names actually were changed despite the first developing name. The best one would be with UT2004 vehicles. Hover Tank was changed to Goliath, Mobile Assault Station to Leviathan, Hover Bike to Manta and so on.
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 01:12 PM   #85
Leo(T.C.K.)
Registered User
 
Leo(T.C.K.)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 14th, 2006
Posts: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
Yeap, possibly. Seems developers name those monsters, then the name sticks to them and so they just leave them as they were. Another example (not a monster though :P ) would be Dalton from Unreal II, he was named after Scott Dalton despite his protests. And the name sticked, so we now have John Dalton.
There are a few examples of when names actually were changed despite the first developing name. The best one would be with UT2004 vehicles. Hover Tank was changed to Goliath, Mobile Assault Station to Leviathan, Hover Bike to Manta and so on.
Hover tank(or hover platforms) and hover bike was supposed to be in UT2003 and UC, as seen in some video, remember that one with that player riding the vehicle across terrain?

I beleive UC still has these only unused, when I inspected some of the files it seems the hoverplatforms and bikes are still in.

Besides onslaught was first made as mod to UT2003 to bring vehicular combat in.
Leo(T.C.K.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:31 PM   #86
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep
 
GreatEmerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4,042
Those hoverboards are in UT2004 as well, as static meshes. But actually the Goliath is really a hover tank, and the Manta is a hover bike, just rotated (you can imagine those two wings as wheels).
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:43 PM   #87
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
And no, biterfish aren't piranhas. Piranhas live on Earth, and that is Na Pali. Also, they don't attack players exclusively if they are injured. Furthermore, players are attacked by single fish, not by the whole school (unless you are unlucky enough to fall right in a middle of a school...). Moreover, there are biterfish that show no interest in attacking other living beings at all.
Shooting Biterfish don't make a difference. It just depends on how their "BisAggressive" is set.
Enemy Biterfish will just see you and then swim at you. No other scripted pawn can be damaged since the collision properties of the Biterfish don't allow them to pass through other beings except the player.

If they are harmless, they'll totally ignore you and you can pass through them like nothing.
__________________
UnrealSP.org Staff Member
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:54 PM   #88
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep
 
GreatEmerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4,042
Yes UBerserker, I meant that if players are injured, biterfish, unlike piranhas, aren't attracted by wounds...
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 03:59 PM   #89
Exus Tecius
like diamonds in the sky
 
Exus Tecius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep. 24th, 2003
Posts: 1,839
good answers

what about the kralls ?
the can do martial arts, they play dice...are they related to the mercs ?
and do you have also problems to hit them coz they can move like drunk ?
Exus Tecius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:11 PM   #90
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exus Tecius View Post
the can do martial arts, they play dice...are they related to the mercs ?
and do you have also problems to hit them coz they can move like drunk ?
They have zero relation to any other race in Unreal. They're some kind of angry slaves of the Skaarj.
I have no problem at killing them. You can just stay in one position and spam the ASMD's primary fire until they die. Their threat-o-meters are so ridicolously low that make the game boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
Yes UBerserker, I meant that if players are injured, biterfish, unlike piranhas, aren't attracted by wounds...
Welcome to Unreal, again
__________________
UnrealSP.org Staff Member
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:11 PM   #91
Mister_Prophet
.
 
Mister_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 3rd, 2001
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,592
Krall are lackeys used by the Skaarj as foot soldiers. As said in a log in Unreal, their homeworld is not on Na Pali. As seen in UT3, it seems they aren't only employed by the Skaarj for their muscle.
Mister_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:32 PM   #92
Exus Tecius
like diamonds in the sky
 
Exus Tecius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep. 24th, 2003
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Prophet View Post
Krall are lackeys used by the Skaarj as foot soldiers. As said in a log in Unreal, their homeworld is not on Na Pali. As seen in UT3, it seems they aren't only employed by the Skaarj for their muscle.
a lil off topic now now..but must say.
Proph i would believe you even if you would say the nali have a jesus..lol

i mean you are one of the most known and respected ppl in the unreal/ut community and you are 0=arrogant.you just hangout with us and talk and post.nice to see your comments allways.cheers.ty.
Exus Tecius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:33 PM   #93
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep
 
GreatEmerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exus Tecius View Post
good answers

what about the kralls ?
the can do martial arts, they play dice...are they related to the mercs ?
and do you have also problems to hit them coz they can move like drunk ?
Again, LA:
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Krall

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBerserker View Post
I have no problem at killing them. You can just stay in one position and spam the ASMD's primary fire until they die. Their threat-o-meters are so ridicolously low that make the game boring.



Welcome to Unreal, again
Yeap, they're not a threat at all. I get injured by my own eightballs more often than kralls. And I never understood why they appear only that late in the game, they should have been introduced in the very first two fighting levels...

Uh, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exus Tecius View Post
Proph i would believe you even if you would say the nali have a jesus..lol
Nali have Vandora.

Last edited by GreatEmerald; 26th Mar 2009 at 04:34 PM.
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:40 PM   #94
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,799
Yeah, Nali have Gods. Chizra, god of water (oh hai Hindu Vritra), and Vandora, goddess of thunder (oh hai female Indra). Then there's a jump in the Maya theme: Velora (presumed god of war), but he's more of a fallen one.
The only existing Jesus/Messiah of the Nali turned out to be P849.

In betas, Krall were supposed to make their first appearance in the Temple of Vandora, and they were much tougher and cooler than in the final version. The only tough Krall fight is Seethe in the custom map pack Skaarj Tower 2: TFOS.
__________________
UnrealSP.org Staff Member
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 04:52 PM   #95
Exus Tecius
like diamonds in the sky
 
Exus Tecius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep. 24th, 2003
Posts: 1,839
well the nalicows have neonite..he plays allways with the atomic warcow model.they say he is the protector of the holy milk
Exus Tecius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 05:58 PM   #96
Mister_Prophet
.
 
Mister_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 3rd, 2001
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBerserker View Post
Yeah, Nali have Gods. Chizra, god of water (oh hai Hindu Vritra), and Vandora, goddess of thunder (oh hai female Indra). Then there's a jump in the Maya theme: Velora (presumed god of war), but he's more of a fallen one.
The only existing Jesus/Messiah of the Nali turned out to be P849.
yeah, Nali are polytheistic alright. But the negative connotation of Velora is really a fanbased assumption. Chizra (Water God) and Vandora (Goddess of Thunder) tend to be assumed as "positive" gods. I'm not sure it is really supposed to work that way. What we do know is that the Nali refer to their gods as "the gods of good lore"...or at least that reference is to some of their gods. Velora is never given a subtitle like the other two, and much of this alleged "war" aspect is because of Velora's Pass. But if you read some more logs, it is insinuated that the Nali tend to believe that Titans, and other marooned races, are "minions" of the gods. Meaning that they believe their gods can generally grow displeased.

The best evidence for Velora's supposed godship is presented in Velora's Temple in RTNP, but even then...it's more of a generic temple map (like a lot of RTNP maps tend to feel like filler maps). If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that Velora might be a sun god. But who knows. Hey, it's even possible that Velora is not a Nali God at all, but maybe some kind of ancient king.

Prisoner 849 as Nali Jesus +1


Quote:
Originally Posted by UBerserker View Post
In betas, Krall were supposed to make their first appearance in the Temple of Vandora, and they were much tougher and cooler than in the final version. The only tough Krall fight is Seethe in the custom map pack Skaarj Tower 2: TFOS.
Beta Krall get (kind of) a reapperance in Firestorm and in RD. I always kind of liked Krall. Even if they were generally flak fodder in Unreal.
Mister_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 08:11 PM   #97
War_Master
Registered User
 
Join Date: May. 27th, 2005
Posts: 691
Wow! good reading. No wonder you guys' maps always make sense with story lines.

What I really would like to see is a fighting game with all Unreal and UT characters. I can only imagine a pupae biting the heck out of a Titan doing SuperMoves where a bunch of them attack at once, or a Skaarj against a fly like they always fight in MH maps rofl. And yes, I was a fighting games tournament player

If only someone would make some classes and a 2d camera view for UT that allows people to make characters for fighting games with ease on this engine would be the most amazing thing ever. So far, the only way possible is with the MUGEN engine that uses sprites for their player characters but I doubt anyone is down for it.
War_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 09:01 AM   #98
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep
 
GreatEmerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4,042
Krall are quite challenging in Dasa Cellars, although that's only because of the numbers and that you don't get enough space to move and dodge projectiles. Lots of fun in co-op, though

War Master, there's a 2.5D camera view for UT2004, so I guess it's possible for UT1 as well. Or at least you can do that on UT2004 itself as it has all the Unreal monsters.
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 09:07 AM   #99
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES
 
Join Date: Jan. 20th, 2008
Posts: 4,799
SP2D for UT is in the works. Krall in Dasa Cellars don't even try to fight back if you use the Razor Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Prophet View Post
The best evidence for Velora's supposed godship is presented in Velora's Temple in RTNP, but even then...it's more of a generic temple map (like a lot of RTNP maps tend to feel like filler maps). If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that Velora might be a sun god. But who knows. Hey, it's even possible that Velora is not a Nali God at all, but maybe some kind of ancient king.
If whoever at Legend didn't cut the best parts of Velora Temple/Aztec, it would have been better in RTNP. Aztec had a Stone Titan as a boss. Velora Pass had also a Stone Titan.
Since there's a Temple of Chizra, who's a god, a Temple of Vandora, who's a goddess, there's a Temple of Velora - all the maps made by Epic. Following this trend, Velora should be a god as well (not going with goddess since he looks male in those pics in the temple).

I don't really think it's a sun god. His temple is located underground, and it's really dark. Maybe he's someone likes Tezcatlipoca or this other aztec god.
__________________
UnrealSP.org Staff Member

Last edited by UBerserker; 27th Mar 2009 at 09:22 AM.
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2009, 09:08 AM   #100
BlackCheetah
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan. 22nd, 2008
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Master View Post
Wow! good reading. No wonder you guys' maps always make sense with story lines.

What I really would like to see is a fighting game with all Unreal and UT characters. I can only imagine a pupae biting the heck out of a Titan doing SuperMoves where a bunch of them attack at once, or a Skaarj against a fly like they always fight in MH maps rofl. And yes, I was a fighting games tournament player

If only someone would make some classes and a 2d camera view for UT that allows people to make characters for fighting games with ease on this engine would be the most amazing thing ever. So far, the only way possible is with the MUGEN engine that uses sprites for their player characters but I doubt anyone is down for it.
hmm.
BlackCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dark pulse and emerald are wrong, dark pulse is probably right, how is skaarj babby formed ?, is dark pulse a running gag?, omg epic betrayed us!, people believing pupae is singular make me cry., turddrive is right he has no opinion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer