News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic > Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting

Old 15th Mar 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
KillerSkaarj
Art for swans is dope!

BSoD on UT99. Srsly.

The BSoD presented the words MEMORY_MANAGEMENT to me at the top, and one of the STOP: messages were 0x0000001a.

This happened during a nice, relaxing game of Unreal Tournament. 1999. Not 2004, or 3. The first one. It makes no sense. Unless it's my CPU, in which I will replace it post-haste.

I'd like to let you know right now that there is a higher power somewhere trying to prevent me from enjoying anything UT related. If there isn't, it sure as heck feels like it! And not only that, it's going backwards, starting with UT3, then UT2004, then UT99. Pretty soon, Unreal 1 and Gold will both cease to run, in which my Unreal "career" will be temporarily halted.

Conspiracy theories and teen angst aside, can anyone help me with this wretched BSoD? Thanks in advance.

I need some oranges...

This post sponsored by "Last edited by KillerSkaarj."

Last edited by KillerSkaarj; 15th Mar 2009 at 10:41 PM.
KillerSkaarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Phopojijo
A Loose Screw

Yeahhhh those two things don't help us... it'd be best to know what file caused the BSOD (it's listed near the bottom).

More likely than not it's a dead/misconfigured stick of RAM... or a crazy driver though.

Hotspot Shield?
Phopojijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
KillerSkaarj
Art for swans is dope!

The problem is, this retarded BSoD didn't bother to list any file. All I got was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and several STOP messages, one of which was 0x0000001a.

So wait, you're saying it might be one of my RAM sticks!? Well THAT defeated the purpose of me adding another one. So now I'll be back down to a crappy 512 MB RAM, which means I'll have to buy MORE along with the video card and CPU to be able to play UT3. Great.

Old 16th Mar 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Phopojijo
A Loose Screw

Uhm... not necessarily.

It could also be incompatible ram or a timings issue... or like a dozen other things I'm not immediately thinking of.
Phopojijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2009, 08:00 PM   #5
KillerSkaarj
Art for swans is dope!

Maybe it's actually UT itself. It HAS been acting rather strangely, such as the menu freaking out for no reason, where parts of it is flashing in and out of existence (hard to describe), or every single map having the Menu Theme. Something must have tripped my computer up.

Old 17th Mar 2009, 08:48 AM   #6
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep

Every map has the menu music = unconfigured OldSkool. You have to open its ssettings and uncheck "force music" or something similar.
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
KillerSkaarj
Art for swans is dope!

Ah, that explains why it went back to normal after I turned off OldSkool and restarted the game.

Old 28th Mar 2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Carpetsmoker
Nexus-6

To be sure your memory is okay, you can run memtest, you can download it for free from:
http://www.memtest.org/

Download&burn bootable ISO, boot from it, and let ir run overnight ... To be 100% sure your memory is fine let it run at least 50 passes (Yes, this will take a long time), in rare cases errors will only show up after a certain number of passes ...
Carpetsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it wasn't called ut99