News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Old 12th Mar 2009, 07:07 AM   #1
dub

blah blah blah... Spider Mines [trap]

I've never been the biggest fan. They bugged me less in 2004 because at least then they were limited to the gun which meant you needed to guide them, you could lob them directly at players like a bio blob and also it meant you had to be alive for them to be effective.

In UT3 they take even less skill to use as they are totally automated with no need for guidance and you don't even have to be in the vicinity or even alive for them to work - the part which bugs me specifically about these automated frag collectors is that you can't bloody destroy the thingy they emit from!?

Why on earth is that;- and does anyone else agree, you should at least be able to destroy the spidermine emitter/trap/deployable?
It doesn't make any sense not to be able to.

I can destroy 2 story high giant attackers, shoot a deemer mid flight, take down a rolling fortress and nuke a power core, but this little stupid arachnid dispenser that was dropped on the floor is impervious to anything I throw at it?
How does that work?

I see absolutely no reason why if I find the spider emitter I shouldn't be able to destroy it. That way too you could almost attribute a skill to using spidermines and that would be that you've managed to hide the emitter somewhere clever...
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Northrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub View Post
Why on earth is that...
To attract the casuals (THere is no autoiaim on PC-Servers, how else could they get frags?).

EDIT: Thats why they are now in a DM/TDM map too.

Last edited by Northrawn; 12th Mar 2009 at 07:16 AM.
Northrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES

Spider Mines should disappear from the face of UT3. They are so goddamn ****ing annoying.

Last edited by UBerserker; 12th Mar 2009 at 07:26 AM.
UBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 07:45 AM   #4
G.Lecter
Registered Tester

I guess if you were able to destroy the trap, it would then be utterly useless (too easy to destroy). I see the mines as a deployable meant to make a whole area not acessible to pedestrians... they could have used a kill volume instead, but the spider things look cooler, and you have at least a chance to destroy them. If you see a spider-trap, just don't get too close to it or ride a vehicle instead...
Are they ridiculously easy to use? Yeah, but at least they're now limited to a single trap per nightshade... They're still my least favourite among the deployables, but if they had not been overpowered, the Nightshade might have become a totally ignored vehicle... In DM, however, I think all they do is ruining maps (EdenInc ) that would otherwise have been great...

Tetrobot and Co: | The Companion Key! |
Portal 2: | Custom Maps |
Toki Tori: | Custom Maps |

Spanish Localizations: | Killing Floor |
G.Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
dub

I realise that to a lot of people the spiders are just annoying full stop but I doubt they aren't going to disappear from the game any time soon.
In fact if the trap were destroyable I wouldn't really mind them that much.
This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Lecter View Post
I guess if you were able to destroy the trap, it would then be utterly useless (too easy to destroy)
But it wouldn't. It'd just be less easy to get a kill. It worked in 2004. If you destroyed the source (the player with the mine gun) no more mines. No different or?
Also it's not just the Nightshade/bender you got the pickups too, remember.

Last edited by dub; 12th Mar 2009 at 08:05 AM.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Northrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub View Post
I realise that to a lot of people the spiders are just annoying full stop but I doubt they aren't going to disappear from the game any time soon.
In fact if the trap were destroyable I wouldn't really mind them that much.
This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

But it wouldn't. It'd just be less easy to get a kill. It worked in 2004. If you destroyed the source (the player with the mine gun) no more mines. No different or?
Also it's not just the Nightshade/bender you got the pickups too, remember.
In UT2004 you could also destroy the Mines themselves. But... ...you at least need to have a little bit of skill to destroy them. If you were too close you still got damaged. That was a much, much, much, much, much, much better solution than it is in UT3.
Northrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Fuzzle
spam noob

There's not really one big central factor I dont like about them, but the combination of the little things.

They're hard to spot. They run so fast that to blow them up with a rocket or flak shell, you are hurting yourself. You can't blow up the emitter (which is really goofy when someone places one at your node or whatever).

I'd put a light on them, sorta like the 2k4 shoulderlight, *or* lower their speed a tad, *or* make the emitter destructible.
Or a combination of those.
Old 12th Mar 2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Dark Pulse
Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

I do think the trap should be destroyable, but it should have a damn lot of armor to it - at least as much as a node (1500-2000, somewhere around there.)

Making them easier to spot would probably help, too.

That said, I'm pretty sure it runs out after either 2 minutes deployed or 15 mines coming out, whichever comes first.

Dark Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Leo(T.C.K.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrawn View Post
In UT2004 you could also destroy the Mines themselves. But... ...you at least need to have a little bit of skill to destroy them. If you were too close you still got damaged. That was a much, much, much, much, much, much better solution than it is in UT3.
You can still destroy them in ut3, just shoot at them when they emerge from deployable, usually link gun is useful. if you will kill enoug of them the deployable will then disappear.
Leo(T.C.K.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 01:23 PM   #10
WildmouseX

also too you can aim/control where they go - the difference between 2k4 and ut3 is that now anyone on the team that deployed it can control them by using the aiming laser from the AVRL secondary fire - instead of just the guy that has the mine gun.
WildmouseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 01:53 PM   #11
end0rphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBerserker View Post
Spider Mines should disappear from the face of UT3. They are so goddamn ****ing annoying.
I agree, spider mine 'gun' was way better in 2k4.
end0rphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 02:20 PM   #12
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES

Spider Gun had some balance compared to the UT3 Deployable. Plus, the 2k4 spiders were easier to see and not as fast as the new ones.
Old 12th Mar 2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Wail of Suicide

Spider Mines don't belong in this game at all, in my opinion. Neither in a gun nor as a deployable. True fact: There are already 8-10 weapons specifically designed to kill on-foot players. I am really not sure why anyone would need more than that.

Funny how Epic has always been resolute in insisting that static automated defenses (auto-turrets, etc) are not "fun" and won't be incorporated into the game -- But that's essentially what SpiderMines are. Except it's not limited to defense, and is most often used simply to spawn rape players with virtually invisible little black auto-homing missles. And you can't even destroy the deployable.

Last edited by Wail of Suicide; 12th Mar 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Wail of Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Unknown Target

The best defense, I've found, against spider mines is simply to run away. They have a pretty limited range and once you walk far enough away, they'll just leave you alone.
Unknown Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Hedge-o-Matic

Spider mines are great, I think. Here's why:

They're scary looking.
They're scary sounding.
They've got an awesome kill animation.

To everyone who thinks they're too powerful, or trying to rally the troops to dumb them down and weaken them, I offer the following advice:
1.) Be cautious where traps are likely to be set.
2.) When pursued, just backpedal, and lob flack shells, rockets, shock balls, or bio-goo at them. You only have to get sorta close to destroy them.
3.) To evade them, simply run out of range without any hesitation. They won't stray far from the hive. Or you can go round corners and up obstacles, sicne they don't maneuver as well as players do.
4.) If you've been killed by a mine in a certain area, use your head when you return there.
Old 12th Mar 2009, 09:19 PM   #16
Mr. UglyPants
2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

Btw, since when did UT3 have spidermines? Like i played DM-OceanRelic last nite, and for the first time ever did i see a 'you were killed by a spidermine'.

Mr. UglyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 09:34 PM   #17
Alhanalem
Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

on DM it's easy enough to just avoid where it was placed. In fact, rarely is the trap placed more than like 10 feet from where it spawns.

^click here to visit my dragons^ Canya put some bonus points in me drinkin' skill?
http://savage2.s2games.com
^ This is a really unique game, get it.
Alhanalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 09:45 PM   #18
Darkdrium
20% Cooler

I like the spidermine drill animations when you die, but that's about it. When I got UT3 I spent so much time trying to destroy the darn thing when I finally realised it wasn't possible.
It should at least be destroyable. As long as the slow field, EMP, X-Ray, etc.
Darkdrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Cr4zyB4st4rd
I make awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. UglyPants View Post
Btw, since when did UT3 have spidermines? Like i played DM-OceanRelic last nite, and for the first time ever did i see a 'you were killed by a spidermine'.
Urrrhhhhmmmmmm.....

UT3 has had Spider Mines since v1.0

Cr4zyB4st4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2009, 04:02 AM   #20
GreatEmerald
Khnumhotep

Just use spider mines yourself If you whine about spider mines being too powerful, why don't you whine about Redeemer being too powerful?
GreatEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ut3 needs flyspray. bugs and spiders all gone :d, wildmousex 4 rly bad medicine, wildmousex lol