lol

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
You have to delete your UTinput.ini file to have it work properly.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sigh.

I don't understand why Epic can't make decent (DM) maps anymore. Did they simply lose everyone who had any idea how to do a proper layout? Why are the maps always built around stupid gimmicks that are only fun for clueless console players or effing around with your buddies while drunk? Whatever happened to balanced, fun layouts?

Eden's probably the nicest but it still has that moving... killing volume thing... and spider mines. Effing spider mines in DM. And they're in Oceanwatever too. Barge is just as dumb as the ship map in UT, and DarkMatch...? Seriously?! Turbine I could care less about; I didn't like it in UT and I don't like it now.

Why all the gimmicks? Healing pools? Moving slow fields that make you nearly invulnerable because hitscan can't penetrate and projectiles are made incredibly easy to avoid? This is all pointless bullsh*t that adds nothing to the game. It's like Epic's only goal was to put random things in so they can go, "Look what I did!" to someone who cares.

It feels like they fixed the mouse input at least. Fifteen months to get functional mouse input like every other game comes with out of the box. Yay. :eek:

/rant

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Eh. UT had a fair share of gimmick maps too. HealPod, Pressure and Fractal all readily come to mind.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
True enough, but that game had at least some good DM maps included and UT3 did not. This pack only made the situation worse in that regard.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The maps are fine for most people. If you want flawlessly balanced, hardcore maps then crack open the editor.

Like it or not, Epic doesn't seem to put all of its efforts into building competition-ready maps. They seem more interested in creating something memorable and often that includes a hook. It's been the same in every UT game. I'm not sure why that's surprising to anyone.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
It was expected sure, but one good map is not to much to ask. For me personally, I wasn't looking for hardcore perfect maps just something fresh with a good layout and weapon placement.

And I do map, I just don't finish. I lack dedication in finishing projects. :( I have lots of layouts though. :) Anyone want a layout?

Last edited:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
I'd love a layout myself but erm... you can guess how i'd decorate a layout if I got hold of one.

I like the new maps its kind of a showcase for what can be done so if you want a nice competative pro map you can sometimes dump in something that will make things more intesting when you build your own.

I do think darkmatch is more than a little gimiky now with the names up like thay are it really ruins the hole idea.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
The best vctf maps ive played were on 2k4 because that game mode wasnt supported by epic in that game.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I think the "mouse fix" is some mouse smoothing stuff that has been added. I disabled mouse smoothing and the feel went right back to what it used to. I'll have to play around with it some more but when I first installed the patch it DID feel different.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Like it or not, Epic doesn't seem to put all of its efforts into building competition-ready maps. They seem more interested in creating something memorable and often that includes a hook. It's been the same in every UT game. I'm not sure why that's surprising to anyone.

I think this fairly true of most video games though. A lot of the levels from Super Mario 3 that stick out in my mind the most are the ones with interesting elements, like the level with the boot or the world where you can change the size of the monsters. I would prefer this to having a larger sampling of really tight and competitive maps which tend to be a bit more sterile as gimmicks usually are hard to balance properly.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't know what they changed about the mouse input, but it feels as accurate as it should now. Before it felt floaty and inaccurate, and that bad feeling was compounded by the terrible netcode and the tracers of the shock and sniper being off in equal amounts in the opposite direction. D:

That's the problem. Gimmicks are just that -- cheap instant gratification. They might be interesting or cool for awhile, but they won't stand over time. If anything they become annoying and the map is pushed to "play once every other week when tipsy" status.

In the end, I'm not looking for "hardcore" maps. I just want some decent stuff that is playable over time. Look at CoD4. It has a couple gimmick maps that are fun every now and then (I went 120-27 last night on Killhouse), but the rest are all decent and playable. The maps, and thus the game, are better because there aren't gimmicks to cheapen the experience.