UT '99 (GOTY) crashes on AS-HiSpeed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fred Fuchs

Feb 3, 2009
I just purchased the Unreal Anthology, and have installed Unreal Tournament (GOTY) on my Asus EEE PC 901. The game runs brilliantly on this machine, but last night after trying to play assault map AS-HiSpeed for the first time, the game randomly froze on me and I was forced to restart my laptop. I tried again with the same result, though after a much shorter period of time playing. The audio continued (perhaps stuck in an infinite loop?) after the screen froze both times.

Does anybody know what might cause this and/or a fix for the problem. It only seems to be this map causing the crash...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
OS? (I imagine Windows XP but UA can be installed under Linux now)

Which renderer are you using? (D3D, OpenGL, updated or stock)

Is there a specific error message with the crash?

Can we see the contents of the Unreal Tournament log post the crash? (found in C:\Unreal Anthology\UnrealTournament\System\)

I have a vague memory that there used to be a crash issue with that map but there is not much in Google about it (someone had a problem running the map on a Mac).

Have you tried changing to the software renderer to see if the map works with that?

Fred Fuchs

Feb 3, 2009
Yes, sorry, I'm running it under Windows XP, Direct3D renderer, with no updates of any kind made to the game post-install.

There isn't an error message given, the screen freezes and it's impossible to even get back to the desktop. Ctrl-Alt-Delete just makes a cursor appear over the top of the frozen image (only in certain places, though). I had to physically reset the system both times.

I'll post the contents of the log file when I get home (not on this PC).

I Googled the hell out of it but only found the mention of this map crashing on a Mac as you mentioned. I'll certainly try using the software renderer, although I'll be a bit annoyed if that's the only solution. I can't understand why it's only this map that causes a problem if it's a renderer issue...

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Get rid of the d3d renderer, iirc that's the reason why the map may occasionally freeze. Besides it doesn't make UT shine, so to speak. It looks quite ugly.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Besides it doesn't make UT shine, so to speak. It looks quite ugly.

True - but he's using an eeePC and hence Intel onboard graphics so the beauty of S3TC is probably not on the agenda.

For the OP, there is no real disagreement between wolf and cactus - just keep trying options until you find one (or more) that works. Then pick the one that you like - for the record, I use the OpenGL driver on anything from my eeePC 1000 (UT running under Wine/Fedora 10) to my uber-Desktop (Fedora10/XP64) and all ports in between. So you see, we agree. :)

Fred Fuchs

Feb 3, 2009
OK, bit of an update. I've tried various things, switching to software rendering, using the alternate D3D driver you linked to IronMonkey, both of which produced exactly the same result.

The game starts to stutter a bit just before it completely crashes, but it seems to happen at random. I've managed to complete one round of the map before it goes, other times it'll happen really quickly.

I'm stumped...

Edit (again): After some experimentation it appears this only happens when I am using the Instagib mutator. Weird.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I hope that is it as fixed as it can be and you can live without instagib in Assault (that does sound like an unusual combination:)).

Keep trying with the updated renderers as you should see a useful framerate improvement and they do look better. One advantage of the OpenGL drivers is that you can use them and still use the editor. The D3D 8&9 drivers break the editor (strictly, selection in the editor).

Fred Fuchs

Feb 3, 2009
Thanks for your help anyway. I think this just boils down to some weird incompatibility with the hardware of the EEE PC 901; tested it on my regular Dell desktop and everything ran fine. Oh well, I can always play my instagib assault matches on that machine. Is that weird? I use instagib on everything! Probably a hangover from too many "License to Kill" Goldeneye matches back in the day...

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
That sounds really weird. May be your ut files got corrupted somehow. I understand it may take some time and there's no guarantee it will help but have you tried to reinstall UT from the scratch? And what about log file? Is there anything of interest?