surrealistic mad cow

Testing optional parameters in functions

In the following code :

Code:
function( optional int1, int int2 )
{
// doblah;
}
If I call the function without a first integer is it possible to test it hasn't been sent ? For example, can I do if( int1 > 0 ) ? Or will ucc fail to compile the code ? Or would this cause an error during execution ?

If the code is valid, is a default value given to int1 when I call the function without the first parameter ?

P.S: I purposefully placed an optional parameter first just in case it's a bad practise.

Zur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Dec 2008, 04:07 AM   #2
Wormbo

Optional parameters must not be followed by non-optional parameters. You'll find that out when you try to compile the code.

As for detecting whether an optional parameter was specified or not: Omitted parameter values will end up being the null value of the corresponding type. Only in Unreal engine 3 you can specify a default value for parameters, UE1/2 always use 0, "", None, False, etc.
<TNSe> nono
<TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
<Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
<Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
Wormbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Dec 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Zur
surrealistic mad cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
As for detecting whether an optional parameter was specified or not: Omitted parameter values will end up being the null value of the corresponding type. Only in Unreal engine 3 you can specify a default value for parameters, UE1/2 always use 0, "", None, False, etc.
Ok, so there are dos and don't when using optionals. Thanks for explaining this.

So, about testing these optionals, let's say int2 is optional instead. if I do a if( int2 > 0), this should work ? I'm asking because the compiler usually complains if you test something that isn't a local variable. In this case (I haven't got round to testing it yet), the test will do fine then I assume ?

Last edited by Zur; 30th Dec 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Zur is offline   Reply With Quote