UE3 - UT3 Why can't I see Static Meshes in Perspective view?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MattSimpson

Nov 16, 2008
I'm following the 3D Buzz VTMs for UT3 UnrealEd and I've hit another problem.

I've selected several packages in the Generic Browser, ticked the Static Mesh resource type, and clicked on a particular Static Mesh to select it. Then I've closed the Generic Browser and Right-clicked a location in the Perspective view and clicked on Add Actor - Add Static Mesh: Static Meshname. The widget appears (with a little red cross in the centre) but that's it (the actual Static Mesh is invisible). I can see the Mesh in the Top view though so I know it's there (and I can move it around).

Why can't I see the Static Mesh in the Perspective view? (The room is Lit)

Can I toggle the visibility of Static Meshes on and off somehow?

Sorry for another (stupid) beginner question! Your help is much appreciated!!

HamBone

CSG junky...
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto
www.gamethumb.ca
To toggle the static meshes on and off you can hit "W" on the keyboard. You can also click on the little black arrow on the left hand side of the viewport toolbar and the Show Flags menu will pop up. If you look at the Static Mesh text in this list, there should be a check mark beside the text if the meshes are visible or no check mark if they are not visible.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

MattSimpson

Nov 16, 2008
Thanks for your quick reply! Amazing that it only took minutes for my question to be answered. Wasn't expecting such a speedy response!

Yep it was the 'Static Mesh' Show Flag toggle ('W') that was causing the problem. All sorted.

Now that I know about the Show Flags Toggle and can see the list of categories (with the relevant hot key) I should be able to sort out similar problems myself hopefully.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

MattSimpson

Nov 16, 2008
Fair enough. To be honest I wasn't expecting various different people to read & reply to the threads all at the same time. Thought I'd get a response to just one of the threads, which would then allow me time to delete/update the other threads as appropriate. But now I know differently so will only post on one forum at a time.

I've just read the UE3 FAQ on your website and that actually answered the first couple of problems I encountered so it's a shame I didn't read it earlier. Great site by the way.

Last edited: