UE3 - UT3 Scripted Object/Texture Import

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
Hello,

I realize that this is my first post here, but I could really use your help. Some friends and I are looking to write a little exporter plugin from 3dsMax similar to what Jamlander used to do for Max6->UT2 via a .t3d, saved assets, and an EXEC file bringing it all together. We'd like to be able to import objects and textures, and hopefully be able to procedurally build materials.

However, we think that a lot of the EXEC commands that used to work for UT2's editor are no longer valid for UT3's editor. Does anyone know any good references for this kind of thing?

Building the T3D shouldn't be a problem, but procedurally importing assets to packages seems to be the real deal-breaker.

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
Hey Fellas,

I realize it's only been a few days, but I hope I haven't been forgotten. :)

Besides; I have some more details to add! I found some old .t3d and .exec files from Jamlander that I started playing with, but no luck.

Here's the Level.exec
Code:
STATICMESH IMPORT FILE="C:\Sphere01.ase" NAME="Sphere01" PACKAGE="myLevel" GROUP="3dsmax"
MAP IMPORT FILE="C:\myLevel.T3D"

For starters, I checked the directories in the EXEC file to make sure they were correct. When I tried inputting the
Code:
EXEC "C:\Level.exec"
command, it crashes UE3. :(

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
This has to exist; I just can't seem to get it working without crashing unreal edit. Does anyone know how to use this? You can say "no"; any response will do! I just need to know if this is common knowledge that I just can't seem to find, or if this is exactly as obscure as I think it is. :(

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
Hey you...yah you, the one reading this post...if you don't reply, your face is ugly! Otherwise, if you reply, you're my hero!

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
Now I'm sure of it. I tried re-installing 3dsM6 and Jamlander, and the same .T3D doesn't work in UT3 like it did in UT2. Still waiting for a lead on what to do here.

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
Code:
 _           _        _        _              _  _  _  _     _    _          
(_)         (_)     _(_)_     (_)            (_)(_)(_)(_)_  (_)  (_)         
(_)         (_)   _(_) (_)_   (_)            (_)        (_) (_)  (_)         
(_) _  _  _ (_) _(_)     (_)_ (_)            (_) _  _  _(_) (_)  (_)         
(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) _  _  _ (_)(_)            (_)(_)(_)(_)   (_)  (_)         
(_)         (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)            (_)                             
(_)         (_)(_)         (_)(_) _  _  _  _ (_)             _    _   
(_)         (_)(_)         (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)            (_)  (_)

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
I wonder what the population of the boards is...Seems that it must be pretty low since I haven't gotten any responses to my post even after nearly a month! Guess there're just better forums out there than Beyond Unreal. =(

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Oh, the population is good, but your question might be too confusing or too difficult to answer. Maybe the answer even is plain and simple "No", but you didn't get that yet because nobody knew it.

Fact is, there's no commandlet for importing resources (other than classes through Make) and classes are no longer allowed to use #exec directives. And because the log no longer lists every internal console command executed (possibly because these operations are no longer handled as console commands internally), it is not possible to provide a list of editor console commands for importing resources anymore.

Mr. Bluesummers

Oct 28, 2008
Hey Wormbo! =D

I hate resorting to negative comments, but I wasn't getting anywhere with honey. That's pretty brutal news; there's really no way to get bulk assets into the editor like we used to? I'm just looking for a way to mass migrate lots and lots of models and material maps into the editor without the overhead of doing them one at a time.

Last edited: