Are people seriously buying these?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It's a consumers market, let's be realistic.

The point is that the average person wouldn't know how to go about building a good rig on their own. This is the era of plug-n-play, so some douchebag with money to burn will always be around to buy one for the ease and so they can say "hey look at my 3k dollar gaming machine!"

har har har.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
noobs buy these.They got me too when I first got into pc's.I paid at least 60% more than what actual cost was.Now I build every single one of my friend's and family's pc's to help them and keep money away from dell and the likes.

Last edited:

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
The sad part?!? That was the CHEAPEST High End Gaming PC Dell has.
At least the $7,000 one comes with a 22" MONITOR! I want to meet the guy that thinks a computer is worth 7 grand.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 297

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if very few, if anyone, actually buys the 7k+ systems. They're largely paper launches and are more-or-less designed to make the rest of the lineup more attractive to a potential buyer.

Besides, it's cheap to diversify a product line when each system is probably assembled upon order anyways.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Mark up is around 30-45% on Dell and the likes.

For that $3000 machine, you could purchase the parts and build one yourself for around $2000 or so. Plus you get to pick what brand of product you want etc.
And upgradeability gets alot better. If they haven't switched away from their own mainboards by now.
I've heard nightmare like stories about Dell pc's and efforts to upgrade them.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Hey, if I had money to burn like by winning the lottery or something, I'd spend it on that. Then I suppose I would have to find something else to spend millions on. :p

But it's definitely one of those "rich people only" things. If someone is saving money to buy that, they're a Goddamn moron and should frankly be castrated or shot to prevent any more of them from spawning.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I've heard nightmare like stories about Dell pc's and efforts to upgrade them.

That was in the "old days" when they all used proprietary hardware. Most companies moved away from that finally.

Good point about being able to build them as they are ordered and I am sure no one has actually purchased that $7,000 PC. It's kind of like GM showing you a concept car. "See what we can do!".

Still, Dell you suck. I love how the computer has a 5 star "no text" rating. They are rating their own stuff now? Major loss of credibility with me there, Dell. ;)

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
When you factor in time/labor, the markup is there for a reason. For people who can't be arsed to build their own machine and deal with the problems that come up, this sort of thing is for them. They aren't out to complete with the power-user who can build his/her own machine; they are trying to bring the high end gaming market to the par/sub-par computer user.

If they only charged the price for the parts, they would lose chunks of money.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
The sad part?!? That was the CHEAPEST High End Gaming PC Dell has.
At least the $7,000 one comes with a 22" MONITOR! I want to meet the guy that thinks a computer is worth 7 grand.

Hmmz, who buys a monitor every time they buy a new box anyways. Im also wondering where the bluray player is last I checked they were $150aud, trouble with places like dell is there adoption rates sucks cause they do all the bluechip mumbo jumbo.

Best thing youd get out of a dell is some piece of mind and knowing that all the pieces/brands have been tested together to make sure they work.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Pretty much. You pay for the fact these guys assemble it, slap on a warranty, and ship it to you.

To us it seems ridiculous because we build our own PCs (and by extension, we're pirates - right CliffyB?) but the average person on the street isn't going to know the difference between a AGP or PCI-E card, a IDE or a SATA drive, or a Core 2 from an Athlon FX.

For these people, this is a much quicker and simpler solution, even though we look at it like they're burning money.