NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Old 11th Oct 2008, 11:27 PM   #1
Anisotonic

sorted

works since w7, yeh

Last edited by Anisotonic; 13th Feb 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Anisotonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2008, 11:32 PM   #2
zynthetic
robot!

Vista?
Old 12th Oct 2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Defeat
GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

Your not the only one left, the rest of us just stopped using OpenAL. Also I'm on XP.

Q3A kill message: HAY YOU JUST KILLED SOMEONE, HAVE FUN BEING KILLED NOW SINCE THIS MESSAGE IS HUGE

DRW-Nemesis|away> just wait for it 2 more months, and even x6 wouldn't able to beat the best TAM teams
Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Anisotonic

Ah, I see.

XP, not sure yet if I'll skip Vista or not (and since the next windows is out in approximately 18 months, I might as well)
Old 12th Oct 2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Fuzz
Enigma

It's a safe bet to say that once Microsoft move on to the next operative system they are finished with the previous one. Vista will be complete by then, that is when you should get it. (Said with a nice blend of truth, irony and humor.)

No, honestly I might switch to Windows 7 if it's proven to be the best OS on the planet. Vista is like having a monster of a computer castrated.

I also have X-Fi, but I haven't even tried Open AL. I really should, but now you say it won't work? Have I already been screwed over by Fatal1ty?
Old 12th Oct 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Fuzz
Enigma

I have tried it and it worked for a while until I modified slomo to 1.5 then it crashed almost instantly. Turned it off again and I had to reboot my computer to make UT3 load levels properly again. There is something seriously wrong with that driver and it's from 2007. They really should update it and make it work in common games like UT3.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 12:23 AM   #7
Anisotonic

Haha, I don't think Fatality has a lot to do with it... he seems like an honest guy...

People have said that it could be caused by the X-Ram, but i'm pretty sure I've seen people have this problem with non-Xram X-Fi's.

If your card is the PCI Xfi Fatality, the newest driver is from july 08 and they also made a new console launcher that isn't as fubar as the previous one, where the main knob used to kill 5.1 and stuff. Still doesn't work with UT3 openAL though.

In any case they really are taking their sweet time fixing this.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There is something seriously wrong with that driver and it's from 2007. They really should update it and make it work in common games like UT3.
I really think the problem is on UT3's side, i have the XFi-Elite Pro, and i use EAX in all games that have it (no point letting a card like that go to waste), and thease days, that means allmost all of them are running OpenAL, this even includes other UE3 engine games, and they are all running just fine, UT3 is the only game where i must disable OpenAL or it will crash, hell OpenAL even works in Unreal and UT thanks to the OldUnreal patches.

Now i'm no expert on the matter, but when everything else works just fine except this one game, im inclined to make the logical conclution that the problem is with that one game, and not the drivers that works for everyone else, it seems to make alot more sense.

But perhabs there really is some problem with the drivers, drivers never are perfect afterall, but still, that just tells me that everyone else has found a workaround for it except the team behind UT3.

Regardless, whoever is at fault, the issue should have been resoled ASAP, but here we are 9 (or is it 10..) months later and it doesen't look like it ever will be.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 08:42 AM   #9
elmuerte
Master of Science

How on earth do you disable OpenAL? Don't you mean hardware acceleration?
elmuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Fuzz
Enigma

Watching a series, but I'll get right back to this afterward. If I remember correctly, you just uncheck the box at the top of the audio settings.

Don't confuse OpenAL with OpenGL. Some people might.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 11:33 AM   #11
elmuerte
Master of Science

Quote:
Watching a series, but I'll get right back to this afterward. If I remember correctly, you just uncheck the box at the top of the audio settings.

Don't confuse OpenAL with OpenGL. Some people might.
You mean this:

This image was resized using the screenshot tag.  Click to view the full version

Yes, that's hardware acceleration. Even when unchecked you are still using OpenAL. Just not the hardware accelerated part of it (which is made possible by the driver of the soundcard).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	openalhw.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	96846  
elmuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
How on earth do you disable OpenAL? Don't you mean hardware acceleration?
Yup, apparently what's crashing UT3 is the EAX stuff, because if i uncheck that box it works, if i dont, the game crashes and burns, and takes my whole system down with it.

But yes, the game is still using OpenAL even if you uncheck that box, just not its more advanced features that require hardware acceleration, i'd say that just adds more fuel to what i was saying above.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 04:53 PM   #13
T2A`
I'm dead.

I use Vista at work. It's not terrible like everyone claims.

However, I certainly wouldn't put it on a gaming rig.

Though I'm getting a Macbook soon so it's a moot point!
T2A` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2008, 06:11 AM   #14
Anisotonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobut
im inclined to make the logical conclution that the problem is with that one game, and not the drivers that works for everyone else, it seems to make alot more sense.
That's also what I think. If I remember correctly, Creative released a driver update (not the most recent one but the one just before that) which said basically that "If you have OpenAL crashes as of now, it's not our fault anymore". Seeing as UT3 is a console game and was released as an unfinished RC, I say we can blame Epic's sheer incompetence and failure to care. I'm just pissed that they will get away with it.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 07:11 AM   #15
Fuzz
Enigma

Too bad. I wonder what happens if I turn off the hardware acceleration in the Control Panel and then run UT3 with OpenAL enabled?
Old 14th Oct 2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

Quote:
Too bad. I wonder what happens if I turn off the hardware acceleration in the Control Panel and then run UT3 with OpenAL enabled?
Its worth a try, but ofcourse, it will also affect all other games where you use hardware accelerated sound, so unless UT3 is the only game you play with any regularity, you will probably be better off just running UT3 is software mode.
Old 26th Dec 2008, 02:45 AM   #17
Anisotonic

Someone on the Epic forum's OpenAL Crash thread suggested a way to disable the X-Ram using the registry. The tweak does indeed turn off the x-ram successfully. I'm not getting too excited until I'll have played a few more sessions but I did have OpenAL on for the last 3 hours and not a crash. This just might be it.
Old 26th Dec 2008, 04:04 AM   #18
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisotonic View Post
Someone on the Epic forum's OpenAL Crash thread suggested a way to disable the X-Ram using the registry. The tweak does indeed turn off the x-ram successfully. I'm not getting too excited until I'll have played a few more sessions but I did have OpenAL on for the last 3 hours and not a crash. This just might be it.
This, however, will negatively affect all other games you play, the cards have RAM on them for a reason.. personally i'd not do that just for one solitary game, then i'd rather play that one game with hardware sound disabled.
Old 29th Dec 2008, 02:27 PM   #19
UndeadD3vi1

The OpenAL Library in the UT3 folder is dated 2006!
I've just renamed that file so UT3 falls back to the Newer OpenAL32.dll in %WINDIR%\System32 (BioShock uses the one in System32 by default, hence why it doesn't crash)

I can't be sure yet but I've had 2 games in CTF-FacingWorlds without a crash so far (For me that map always crashed the game)
UndeadD3vi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2008, 05:49 PM   #20
JohnDoe641
Killer Fools Pro

Oh, from the preview title I thought you were going to ask if you were the only one left playing UT3. I would have said "probably" to that one.

Ci.ctf pdX.tdm
JohnDoe641 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anisotonic is a troll