GoW Conversion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Gears of War Conversion

Let's say there is a bunch of people that could do the following...

• Code a singleplayer campaign resembling a regular shooter singleplayer game.
  • Script and put together the weapons from Gears of War.
  • Map a set of singleplayer missions.
  • Create some DM maps.

I would say we would have a Gears of War Conversion. Let's call the project Gears of War Conversion. We have mapping resources including static meshes and material textures. There are Gears of War character models too. Creating high quality contents is the real time consuming part, put it together into code should be the easy part. Weapon models is just a matter of porting.

Producing this flare can easily turn into a great fireball once the rest of the community joins in and starts contributing with their own maps.

Let's face it, there won't be a new Gears of War to PC withing the next couple of years unless we make it ourselves.
Singleplayer implemented as a fully functional gametype.
GoW weapons as a weapons replacement mutator.
Maps using GoW contents already released with hopefully more to come.
If I estimate correctly there will be a need for coders and model converters.

Instead of playing regular GoW, the advantages are...

• Being able to play UT3 maps with GoW weapons and the other way around.
  • UT3 have bots, GoW doesn't.
  • Attract GoW players to UT3.
  • Free server market, no more Live log ins.
  • Possibly a PS3 release.

What do you think? Is this something you could hold dear and desire?

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Being able to play UT3 maps with GoW weapons and the other way around.
Attract GoW players to UT3.
Free server market, no more Live log ins.
Possibly a PS3 release.
I anticipated that kind of reply and I have already mentioned some good reasons.

Some people don't like Live. It's good if anyone can host, just like in UT3. Players that like GoW will get UT3 as well just to play this mod. PS3 user might one day be able to play GoW too.

I am not talking about porting the entire singleplayer game from GoW, just make a new and better one instead. Bots can be used for AI and maps could have limited monster generators triggered by the players. Even a short concept map would suffice.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I'll put a reminder in my calendar to check back to this thread in 8 years to see if the beta will be worth downloading.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I was thinking about keeping it simple. Covers are one big part of the gameplay, but it's like crouching, which is already in the UT3 arsenal. Blind fire on the other hand is a different story. Third person view is actually available too.

Let's just stick to multiplayer mapping for the moment. Maybe someone will make a weapons replacement mutator some day. It shouldn't be that complicated. For instance, if some fan did the Lancer as an Enforcer replacement lots of people would think that it would be fun enough.

Last edited: