News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 9th Sep 2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Bioshock PS3 Will Require Install

Those of you itching to get your hands on Bioshock for the PS3 will need to make sure you've got 5gb free on your hard drive. According to a story on 1up, the game will have a mandatory install.

Quote:

The install takes a little over ten minutes which seems fairly inconsequential when considering how good a game you're getting into.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
elmuerte
Master of Science

Well.. optical media is slow as dark pulse

Anyway, 5GB sounds like a lot. But I foresee more and more games requiring larger and larger installs. It's like PC gaming was about 15 years ago. First games could run almost completely from the CD rom, only needed to store the savegames. After that more and more diskspace was required. About 10 years ago almost all games installed completely to the disk.

Quote:
The install takes a little over ten minutes which seems fairly inconsequential when considering how good a game you're getting into.
That sentence doesn't make any sense.
elmuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2008, 01:25 AM   #3
zynthetic
robot!

I don't own Bioshock PC so I don't know how large the install image is but the PS3 version doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the medium (BluRay 25-50GB capacity).
The small 5GB image may be due to using lower rez tex like UT3 PS3. Yes, I say small given the 10 and 9 gb images from GOW and UT3. I just expected more.

ed: ok, a little research and xfer speeds seem to be based off 2x Bluray drives that operate at 72 Mbit/s. This would clock a 5gb xfer at around 9:15.

Last edited by zynthetic; 10th Sep 2008 at 01:39 AM.
zynthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2008, 01:43 AM   #4
lol911

Quote:
Originally Posted by zynthetic View Post
I don't own Bioshock PC so I don't know how large the install image is but the PS3 version doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the medium (BluRay 25-50GB capacity).
Well it's only a port. In order to take advantage of the medium the game would have to be made from the PS3 from the get go, then ported to other systems.
lol911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2008, 02:19 AM   #5
zynthetic
robot!

Aside from GOW I've never heard up porting up. I'm merely playing on the lower texture memory being the reason behind what I believe is a small install image compared to the PC image.