News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Old 5th Oct 2008, 10:23 AM   #61
Interbellum
I used to be a man

Pseudo-remaking UT1 would make a lot more sense, imo. SP games get played a couple times and then forgotten, while MP games with decent bot support can be enjoyed for years, both on & offline. Also it should be a lot easier to turn UT3 into something resembling UT1; not just because of similar gameplay etc., but also because there already are various mods (like Uwindows) and maps (HOLP, misc. remakes) that could be either readily integrated or adapted.

Also, as I've mentioned before, a UT1-ish TC, could, if done right & godwilling, not only 'save' the UT series, but also the oldskool moddable arena shooter in general. Unless the community can fix and reinvent the game by means of TC, the series and genre will die, simple as that. ...And then you can also forget about stuff like Unreal remakes.
Interbellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 01:33 PM   #62
Benfica
European Redneck

This may work. But investing on a remake instead of something new???

Who is playing UT3-CDom and DM-multiteam?

Me. Offline.

Last edited by Benfica; 8th Oct 2008 at 12:32 PM.
Benfica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 03:24 PM   #63
Firefly
United Kingdom is not a country.

how's this progressing?
Have you got a site up yet?
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 03:30 PM   #64
WaitForTheRain
<insert witty user title here>

I don't think there has been any progress on this at all

Looks like it needs someone to get it all organised.
WaitForTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 03:53 PM   #65
gaminginvasion

My site (gaminginvasion.net) is offering to donate dedicated webspace and the domain name for the project. I haven't heard from brizz yet on this. I don't want to pull the trigger and order the domain and step on anyone's feet.
gaminginvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 11:36 PM   #66
XeroWolf
Unreal Ninja

Umm... I don't mean to offend anyone but is this a joke? I'm not much of an excerpt on Sir_Brizz's sense of humor these day but I have to wonder if he was pulling our legs?

If this is for real then great I'm in. It just needs to be organized properly and may I suggest we try something a little new instead just a plain old remake?
XeroWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2008, 11:41 PM   #67
TheIronKnuckle
What the hell is this "ballin" thing?

You know, this mod would be great for me because it would come with extremely high res versions of the classic unreal monsters.
This means that someone could rig up an invasion gametype that actually has good looking enemies! None of that galantors invasion crap with the wacked out flak spammers and skeletons galore. A real invasion gametpye that is better then ut2004's.
I'm not overly interested in playing unreal again in hi res. But i am very interested in playing invasion with the high res monsters.
< and this guy is a console n00b, enjoying his "Designed for PS360" copy of UT3. He lives in pure bliss
TheIronKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2008, 08:40 PM   #68
Psychomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroWolf View Post
Umm... I don't mean to offend anyone but is this a joke? I'm not much of an excerpt on Sir_Brizz's sense of humor these day but I have to wonder if he was pulling our legs?
You have dozen of high quality single player mappacks for Unreal and Unreal Tournament out there, why would another for UT3 be so impossible? Sure there is more work to do, but it is a similar process of creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroWolf View Post
I suggest we try something a little new instead just a plain old remake?
I would like to have the maps beeing 50% remake and 50% new, there have to be a familiarity, but also a completely new experience.
Psychomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2008, 12:51 AM   #69
dinwitty
DeRegistered User

I want to give you a clue about getting the maps over. You know its possible to import export maps. You can be able to bring the mappage all the way to UT3, UT3 will still be able to deal with the original textures. But, you have to export the map to UT2004 first, fix it there, then export it to UT3, that should work. I suggest this more as an aid to building the new maps. I asked this very question to Willhaven and that is possible, such as the interest to move a UT99 map to UT3.
Old 12th Oct 2008, 04:54 AM   #70
[SAS]Solid Snake

Quote:
You have dozen of high quality single player mappacks for Unreal and Unreal Tournament out there, why would another for UT3 be so impossible? Sure there is more work to do, but it is a similar process of creation.
Because you're looking at 1 to 2 months for a single quality map these days. Possibly even more if a lot of the content has to be made from scratch.

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2008, 06:00 AM   #71
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SAS]Solid Snake View Post
Because you're looking at 1 to 2 months for a single quality map these days. Possibly even more if a lot of the content has to be made from scratch.
Aye, thats the reallity of "next-gen" graphics such as thease, the visuals have made major strides, but the tools needed to create them have not progressed at nearly the same pace, so it takes much longer to create things now of the needed quality.

Also, peoples expectations have changed when it comes to mods/maps, thease days most people wont even considder downloading your work unless it is at least as pretty as the games stock content.. one can argue if thats a good or a bad thing, but it certainly means that modders need to spend more time working on thease things.
Old 12th Oct 2008, 06:41 AM   #72
[SAS]Solid Snake

Well I think the tools have gotten better, but it's just the sheer amount of detail that people have to make. For example, let's look at player models:

Unreal Tournament 1
Make mesh, roughly about 600-1000 polygons, maybe one or two 256 X 256 textures (possibly even 512 x 512). Vertex animation or skeletal animation

Unreal Tournament 2004
Make mesh, roughly about 1500-3000 polygons, two or three 1024 X 1024 textures (possibly even 2048 X 2048). Make material setups. Skeletal animation. Karma.

Unreal Tournament 3
Make mesh, toughly 2000 - 3500 polygons. Make hi polygon mesh in ZBrush / MudBox. Make two or three 1024 X 1024 diffuse, specular, emissive, data textures. Generate normal maps. Make material shader setups. Skeletal animation. Physics asset.

Yeah .. the jump in work has increased massively.

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2008, 07:08 AM   #73
Grobut
Комиссар Гробут

I didn't say the tools have been frozen in time, obviously they have gotten better, just that they have not progressed at the same explosive pace as the graphics
Old 18th Oct 2008, 09:57 PM   #74
~DH-CrackeR~
Proud Leader of Deaths Head

I am a die hard unreal 1 gamer. I hang out at www.oldunreal.com I suggest you go there and try to recruit the 227 patch makers. Unreal 1 is by far the longest running of the series that is actually fairing better than alot of the new titles. The storyline for U1 is hard to beat.

I have done tons of work bringing UT mods/maps/characters into u1 to do that opposite would be a first but I am all up for helping out. BUT the best people to get to help you are at old unreal. Those guys would do anything to promote the original story in UT3 i'm sure.
~DH-CrackeR~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2008, 10:05 PM   #75
Dark Pulse
Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DH-CrackeR~ View Post
I am a die hard unreal 1 gamer. I hang out at www.oldunreal.com I suggest you go there and try to recruit the 227 patch makers. Unreal 1 is by far the longest running of the series that is actually fairing better than alot of the new titles. The storyline for U1 is hard to beat.

I have done tons of work bringing UT mods/maps/characters into u1 to do that opposite would be a first but I am all up for helping out. BUT the best people to get to help you are at old unreal. Those guys would do anything to promote the original story in UT3 i'm sure.
Again, most of the problem isn't coding help, it's all the content that would have to be remade. Maps, props, everything, up to UE3 spec, and that's no small pill to swallow.

Dark Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2008, 10:17 PM   #76
}A{Hdht

Hello there people, Cracker showed me this thread. I'm also a Unreal1 gamer, I've been mapping for quite a few years now. I will of course have to learn UT3's UED, but I planned to do that anyhow and this looks like a great task for gaining experience in it. So I am willing to help out on this project as a level designer as much as possible. I would really love to see this happen as long as it had the same feel of U1, just in a new & improved engine.
}A{Hdht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2008, 10:20 PM   #77
~DH-CrackeR~
Proud Leader of Deaths Head

I will get ut3 and start workin on learning its level design. I can map, but am alot better at puting models and items into code. I specialize in projectile, bullet effects and such. If its uscript I can help. I can probably do better service by drawing this project to the attention of some really good coders and mappers. Headshot is one of them, Shambler is another one who would like this I'm sure. Shambler is already doing some work in ut3 for epic.

And I just wanna point something out to doubters. Unreal 1 is still being played as a multiplayer, it makes use of coop and is probably the most modified game ever created. It has a strong and loyal fan base, lots of us have played it for 10 years now. I really think this could SAVE ut3 from being the flop of the series. I only hope this is serious project that can be organized. I can't stress enough how important it would be to mention this over at www.oldunreal.com forums. There are plenty of mappers at that site, very very active community.

Last edited by ~DH-CrackeR~; 19th Oct 2008 at 12:31 AM.
~DH-CrackeR~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2008, 03:11 AM   #78
Firefly
United Kingdom is not a country.

Where's Sir_Brizz gone?

real shame if this is canned before it's givena chance
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2008, 04:01 AM   #79
TheIronKnuckle
What the hell is this "ballin" thing?

I just want the hi-res models.
< and this guy is a console n00b, enjoying his "Designed for PS360" copy of UT3. He lives in pure bliss
TheIronKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2008, 04:28 AM   #80
Wowbagger
Curing the infection...

If this is ever gonna happen it needs someone who really, REALLY wants this to happen.
AND, invite the WHOLE community to help out with the assets, big and small.

If this turns into a relatively small group itll never happen imo.

Basically itll need a group like the CBP team at the top telling the whole Unreal community what assets is needed.

Last edited by Wowbagger; 19th Oct 2008 at 04:29 AM.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awsomeness, cheese, darkpulse is wrong, demoguy, free labor, free labour, hi res nali, i can't see past page 2 :s, if you want ut99 then play ut99, it wasn't called ut99, let`s get serious!, pooooooooooooooop, poop bruzz, remake classic skaarj, return to napali, spy sappin my skaarj modelz, this is madness!, unreal, unreal 1, unreal evolution, unreal remake, unreal to ut3, us english needs no extra letters!, us inglish uzes whatever, y€s it des y nb