Garden Baseline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Heheh... Ok so I made another one of these :D

Garden is the only map in the demo, and possibly the most played XMP map.

However like most XMP maps, it's huge. As usual I tried to keep the original gameplay, adding very little new elements, while shortening it so it's suitable for 6 or less players.

The big decision is to cut the entire outdoor area of the map, including the exterior of the bases, and the sniping room above the base. The indoor areas are large enough to easily hold 10 players on each side.

The result is connecting the bases together, frontdoor to frontdoor. These doors are now unhacked at the start of the match, so you can't just run right thru. The garage gates are removed, and now you drive from one garage directly into the other.

Teleporters are added behind the garage deploy points, and are now connected to the front hall teleporters. Generators are added to the front room, across the room from the front deploy points.

Known issues: radar image (wrong on blue side). Teleporter particle effects all gone on blue side. Landmark missing near garage entrances.

I know a lot of people like the outdoor section of Garden better than the base, but the base is pretty fun too. It does get a bit claustrophobic, but it's not quite boxworld. I hope 2 gens is enough for this smaller map; just play it like Lowlands.

It's good for some indoor action and really test BOTH your team's base defense skills and penetration skills... at the base! :lol: Mines work, turrets can't be ignored, and smoke nades really do save your ass. It's Garden Baseline!

http://members.shaw.ca/takwu/XMP/XMP-GardenBaseline.zip

Attachments

• Shot00000.JPG
    Shot00000.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Shot00001.JPG
    Shot00001.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Shot00002.JPG
    Shot00002.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Shot00003.JPG
    Shot00003.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 24
Mar 6, 2004
No offense but you just killed garden. You should have cut the middle in half, and took out the sides. This will make garden still good and fun to play with little amounts of players. The mini garden map sux, you need some room to play around with, you took out that room and left hallways.

My reasoning:

Take out the sides because most players go to the middle, so keep the part where they all go.

Half it...so take out the hill in the middle of the map and plant the other base there. You got alot of outside room still which is part of the fun.

BTW you could have changed the teleporters outside to a place to get health, or armor, or ammo...mostly health, and the other armor or ammo. Even 1v1 or 2v2 or just you alone Garden is one of the rare few maps, probably the only map where it's still fun..it's more fun then my fav alcazar map which is boring in small numbers like 2v2.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
I really considered removing "Garden" from the name, and calling it just "Baseline" ;) The name stays to indicate its origins.

These maps are meant to play like certain parts of the original. In the original Garden, gameplay inside and outside the base are so different they feel like two separate maps. Baseline represents "at the base" gameplay. This aspect of Garden is often missed when there are not enough players; everyone is busy travelling between the hackable gens and dps outside.

For outside gameplay, the original Garden works well for small number of players already, as mentioned. Making the map smaller is not going to improve it, in my opinion. But it would certainly modify the design and feel of the map, perhaps too much to represent the original, undermining my intensions.

I would recommend playing the original Garden if you like the exterior part of it, even when you have small number of players. And I would recommend Baseline if you like the interior part of Garden, because you won't get to play inside a lot when everyone is outside.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Yes Garden base reminds me of Sanctuary a lot, especially the garage area... Only there is no Skaarj jumping in from the windows above :( Also check out the upper portion of the Artifact Node room.

But because of XMP mobility (player movements and vehicles), the building seems tighter compared to similar areas in Unreal2, altho technically Garden base is generally larger. Just wanted to throw that in as another example of why U2 maps are hard to convert to XMP; if you wanted to convert Santuary, you'd have to build a Garden base.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Interesting concept. I would have liked to see the static meshes on the roof of the arti node room fixed (otherwise you can still drive raptor in there and boost thru the ceiling), but the fact that you left Juggers in that small connected base makes up for it :) It's almost like a basified version of Steel's Boxworld (the one with Juggers instead of Harby's) now.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Thx. Bleeder you really like to find holes in maps I guess heheehehe... I have never seen the arti node room problem u described. I haven't driven Raptor into the room. Can you make a screenshot of what happens. Just out of curiosity, not intending to fix any existing bugs of stock maps :rolleyes:

Jugs in the Garden garage is a lot of fun. It did cross my mind to change it to Harbies. But I didn't, mostly because that wouldn't represent the original map as accurately. If anyone remembers, CrystalGarden has Harby in garage, and a Jug at the front door :)

Steel's Boxworld? Never heard of that either... Garden base actually feels much like a DM map for other FPS - like a maze. I surely hope it's more fun than any version of Boxworld. So next time you want to mapvote boxworld, try Baseline instead. :)

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Just came to mind... Last Wednesday we had a pretty good turn out, and I mapvoted Garden Baseline. Some people hated the idea (MaskedBandit...) but it turned out the map is pretty balanced and fun, at least in my opinion.

Keep in mind that this is not the Garden where you spend a lot of time outside. Simply forget what this map is based on, and you'll have a lot of fun. I think it was artHeist who said at the end of the match: "this map will catch on". Provided that we have enough players to play regularly, I believe so too.