The Ball - In the Editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Charybdis

Apr 2, 2008
I can't seem to get the ball level to open up in the editor. As suggested, I modified my UTEditor.ini modpackages section to have this:

[ModPackages]
ModPackagesInPath=..\UTGame\Src
ModOutputDir=..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script
ModPackages=TheBall

Its just like how I would have it to compile something. However, when I try to open the map in the editor, (using patch 3 beta 4) it just crashes. My log file looks like this:

Cmd: MAP LOAD FILE="C:\Documents and Settings\(myname...)\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\TheBall\TB-Part1-Pehua.ut3"
Log: Encountered missing default brush - spawning new one
Warning: Failed to load 'Class TheBall.BallGame': Failed to find object 'Class TheBall.BallGame'
Log: Failed to load 'Class TheBall.BallGame': Failed to find object 'Class TheBall.BallGame'
Log: Failed to load forceexport object Class TB-Part1-Pehua.TheBall.BallGame from original package
Warning: Failed to load 'Class TheBall.BallGame': Failed to find object 'Class TheBall.BallGame'
Log: Failed to load 'Class TheBall.BallGame': Failed to find object 'Class TheBall.BallGame'
Log: Failed to load forceexport object Class TB-Part1-Pehua.TheBall.BallGame from original package

And the Warning, log, log cycle continues until it shuts it off. Any suggestions? I really like the mod, and would like to look into making my own maps for it.

Thanks,
Charybdis

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Yeah looks like even while you did modify the ini, it still can't find the very important U file.

Try placing the U file, and possibly also all other files, in your actual UT instal directory, for me that is:
E:\UnrealTournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Scripts
And the other files in Environments or whatever.

Also, it can help to manually open the ball u file manually before loading the level. So start up ued, go to actor browser and click open, select the U file, then load the level.

Charybdis

Apr 2, 2008
I tried copying over TheBall folder with all the mod info in it from My Documents to C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC and it worked! I can now view the complete map in the editor.

I haven't actually seen the Kismet scripting thingy in action till this level, I didn't realize that it kinda took the place of "Events" and such that were in earlier unreal games. I really like the mod and love the details such as the moveable spears and boards. Also didn't know that they had made "RadialForceActor", that would be really handy for a gravity vortex.

Thanks for the assistance! The fact that people are willing to show you their hard work through exportable code and maps viewable in editor really keeps me coming back for more unreal. Its almost like open source software. (almost...)

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Happy to provide help to people who wish to map for the mod:)
If you manage to create something, show me, or if you have any questions just ask.

The kismet part is the hardest part of mapping for the mod, the rest is fairly easy and low poly. There are some kismet tutorials on http://www.avld.org/

When you start a new level, you must copy over the Kismet setup that attaches a trigger to the ball, that thing lets you toggle collision on the ball.

I save levels as DM-something until I am done. If you save as TB-something, and you try to play in editor, it will be pretty unplayable because it uses a non playable gametype. Don't know why. DM- works fine.

Charybdis

Apr 2, 2008
Ok, I am about to leave to Peru for a week but when I get back I think I am going to give this a shot. If I come up with anything I'll show you.

Charybdis

Apr 2, 2008
I've started on a simple map for TB. I got the player to spawn with the impact hammer, and figured out how to make a door. The door closes behind you once you pass through it and leads into a larger room, which you must hammer jump to get up to a blue light trigger that extends a wooden post. That's all I've got so far, I'm mainly just learning the editor and kismet basics. Its fun though. Ill update if I get a map that is worthy of uploading.

unex

Aug 18, 2008
Franconia, GER
I played through Pehua today and this mod looks very promising to me! I would love to do some mapping stuff for it - had a look at the map in the editor and at the Kismet stuff, which kind of gave me the creeps first.
It's been a while since I last made use of the UEd seriously, but I will give it a try and let you know when something considerable comes out.

Btw, if you want to open the map in UEd, you only need to copy the U file and the TB_LevelAssets.upk file into the CookedPC dir of UT3, not all files.

Cheers,

unex

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Try to design your level in such way that you dont need a huge amount of kismet. It are especially puzzles with conditions that are difficult, like "this, this, and this must be done before that happens". Try to avoid those. If you focus on jumping and movement puzzles, enemies, and pushing things around, it is a lot less kismet intensive.

Charybdis

Apr 2, 2008
Yeah I agree. More then once I have found myself thinking, "hey, i think i want a door here".. and then "oh wait... its too much of a pain in kismet.."