News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 30th May 2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Hourences

FAQ: SUPER FREQUENT ISSUES - READ FIRST - NEED FEEDBACK

These are issues that pop up frequently and in order to prevent people from reposting these basic questions, they are no combined in this very to the point FAQ.

- All Versions - What do all the official abbreviations like UE1 or UED2.0 stand for?
-UE stands for Unreal Engine. UED stands for Unreal Editor. UE1 is thus not the same as UED1, and UED2 is actually also used for UE1 games. Because of this the numbering got messed up, UED3 is used for UE2 for example, and UED4 for UE3.
UE1 was used for Unreal and UT.
Unreal and UT1 use UED1, but a patch for UT1 later updated its editor to UED2.
UE2 was used in Unreal 2, UT2003 and UT2004, and the Unreal Championship games.
UT2003 and UT2004 use UnrealEd 3.0.
UE3 is used for UT3 and GOW. Its editor is nowadays simply called Unreal Editor, but would have been UED 4.0 if you would stick to the numbering.

- All Versions - I imported textures/models/anything into the level itself (MyLevel package) but after reopening the level all of it is gone!
-That is normal. Assets that are located in the level itself MUST be used in the level, or will automatically be stripped out of the file. You must assign the texture or other asset to at least one location in the world, and then save.

- UED2.0/UT and UED3.0/UT2004 - My UED2.0/UT Editor has a white background when I start it!
-Go to the top menu View - Viewports - Configure. Or, delete Unrealed.ini, user.ini, and UT.ini from your system dir.

- UED3.0/UT2004 - The editor makes everything really bright after I boot it up!
-The editor uses the same brightness and gamma settings as you use in game. You can disable this by starting the program with -nogamma. Make a shortcut to the editor, and add that behind the target.
For example C:\UT2004\System\UnrealEd.exe -nogamma

- UED3.0/UT2004 - I can't select anything in the viewport!
-UED does not like Anti Aliasing, turn it off and start UED again. AA can be configured by rightclicking the desktop - display - and continue to the advanced settings of your 3D card. Set it to always off, or application preference.

- All versions - I can't find a certain window anymore, it doesn't appear when I try to open it!
-It is located off screen, the position coordinates are beyond the resolution of your monitor. Either change the resolution of the monitor, or reset the ini files. In UE1 and 2, delete UnrealEd.ini, User.ini, and UT.ini found in the system dir of the game's installation folder. In UE3, these inis have slightly different names and are no longer situated within the game's installation folder, but in the game's folder in My Documents. UnrealEd.ini is now also named Editor.ini. Just delete all of them if uncertain.

- UE2 and 3/UT2004 and 3 - I can't see any staticmesh!
-Press W on keyboard to toggle them. H might also do this. Q will toggle BSP brushes away. G (only in UT3) will hide most editor only actors. B hides your red builder brush.

- UE3/UT3 - The transform gizmo (the thing with all the colored arrows) is rotated strangely!
-It is set to Local instead of World orientation. At the top menubar, there is a dropdown box that says either Local or World. Alternatively, the ~ key on the keyboard also controls this.

- UE3/UT3 - My viewport is empty or gray! I can't see anything
-The editor sometimes forgets to set the correct render mode for the viewports. Just click one of the viewport rendermode buttons again, and all should be fine. These are the row of little buttons at the top of every viewport.

Last edited by Hourences; 13th Dec 2008 at 10:49 AM.
Hourences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Hourences

I want to expand this FAQ but ran out of ideas, feed me !
This is only for the really frequent problems. Lesser important issues will be included in the regular FAQs

Post anything you want to see added. I will remove all replies later on, and sticky it to the top to have it nice and tiddy.
Old 30th May 2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Wormbo

"White viewports" is not limited to UEd2, it can also happen in UEd3.
<TNSe> nono
<TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
<Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
<Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
Wormbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Slainchild
Gold Member

Similar to the white viewport error, but in UE3. Happens frequently to me, I'm sure it would confuse some people.

Q: After loading a map, some or all of the viewports are grey with only a few things visible.
A: The editor has somehow forgotten the viewport viewmode (lit, unlit, wireframe, etc), and you will need to select one from the bar above the affected viewport.
Slainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 11:52 AM   #5
AsToRoTh

Not really got anything of value to add other than to say this thread should be stickied even at this early stage... great idea "H".
AsToRoTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 02:22 PM   #6
_N_
addicted to mapping

This one gets people all the time, and I think it's true in all versions of the editor:

Q: Why does my imported custom texture, material, static mesh, etc. that I imported into my level package disappear after I close the editor and restart it again?

A: Everything you imported into your level package disappears upon closing if you didn't explicitly add it to your map somewhere.

(btw, this thread is definitely a good idea )

Last edited by _N_; 30th May 2008 at 09:12 PM.
_N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 04:48 PM   #7
DonJeffrey

Double clicking on static mesh/actor sometimes makes the mouse invisible.
Try to set the mouse on a viewpoint and click.
DonJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Kantham
Fool.

Or press F4.
Old 8th Jun 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
evilmrfrank
Banned

The biggest issue I have seen people complain about is the inability to move meshes. The issue with only the pivots moving.

-----------------------
evilmrfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Rask

In addition to the gray/empty viewports (at least in UE3 editors) if the already mentioned method doesn't work: try moving and zooming around in the viewport. Sometimes the position of the camera is a bit funky and you can't see the grid/other objects.

Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 10:50 AM   #11
Snaps_Provolone
Part Time Retard

It may just be me, but the Kismet and Matinee windows give me an error:

Can't open file ..\UTGame\Config\UTKismet_Layout.xml Error 5 Access denied.
Can't open file ..\UTGame\Config\Matinee_Layout.xml Error 5 Access denied.

I am running Vista as Administrator. Perhaps AVG is stopping the write I dunno for sure but it's annoying that these files aren't saved in my user documents directory like all the other user configs are. This would solve this issue.
Snaps_Provolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Hourences

I never heard of that prob before. I think you or your pc messed something up.
Old 16th Sep 2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Snaps_Provolone
Part Time Retard

It's been happening since I installed the UT3. I really haven't done much to this PC except install AVG. I don't think I know enough to be harmful. The worst part is I looked for these files and couldn't even find them in that path. So I wonder, perhaps if I created empty versions it would then work, I will try that out.

I really don't think it's anything I did persay, as I really haven't done anything to that machine other than install AVG and UT3. I installed Blender but only after I already noted the issues with UT3. The system is plain jane, I haven't even deleted all the garbage that came installed on the HP from the factory, afraid to create problems
Snaps_Provolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2008, 01:52 AM   #14
omie jay
Awesome User

I got a really stupid question, but how do i open the editor for unreal tournament 3? I got the limited edition game very recently, installed everything, but dunno where the editor is. Can someone plz tell me where the source file for opening the editor is?
Also, i would like to create my own levels and character skins. What are some recommended software i would need, eg photoshop, maya?
Much much appreciated
omie jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2008, 02:34 AM   #15
Wormbo

The "source file" for opening the UT3 editor is... "UT3.exe". Use the shortcut link in the start menu to start it and to find out what's happening there.
<TNSe> nono
<TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
Old 21st Sep 2008, 04:40 AM   #16
r2tincan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps_Provolone View Post
It may just be me, but the Kismet and Matinee windows give me an error:

Can't open file ..\UTGame\Config\UTKismet_Layout.xml Error 5 Access denied.
Can't open file ..\UTGame\Config\Matinee_Layout.xml Error 5 Access denied.

I am running Vista as Administrator. Perhaps AVG is stopping the write I dunno for sure but it's annoying that these files aren't saved in my user documents directory like all the other user configs are. This would solve this issue.
I'm not sure if you just mistyped but you have to run the actual program as administrator, even if you are logged on as administrator it is different.
r2tincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 05:34 PM   #17
Saidin

I'm also getting a 'Can't open file' issue. It hasn't seemed to affect anything in the program. But every time I'm working in the generic browser with materials and such I get:

Can't Open File '..\UTGame\Config\UTMaterialEditor_layout.xml' (error 5: access is denied.)

As I said, I've just been using the editor as normal and it hasn't seemed to do anything wrong. But I'm still not sure what this error means, or how it occurred.

edit: Also now that I'm paying attention to it I'm getting it for the Staticmesheditor_layout.xml too.

Last edited by Saidin; 22nd Oct 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Saidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2008, 10:31 PM   #18
XxTamaruxX

where do you download UED UE or whatever i need for UT 2004
XxTamaruxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 11:18 AM   #19
TurdDrive
sam k

u cant download it you have to buy the game
TurdDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Wormbo

Try the Unreal Tournament 2004 group in your Start menu, it should contain "UT2004 Editor".
<TNSe> nono

Tags
faq, ued, unrealed