Awful mouse lag

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I want to play the classic game again still, but I have some weird mouse lag going on ever since I bought that new system. I play the game on openGL since Direct 3D (or something like this) is poop.

I have mouse smoothing turned on, the lag is noticeable both in the UI and in-game.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It also is checked. I found out that playing non-full screen kind of solved the problem. But since I am used to UT3's mouse response, it makes it all almost impossible to play like I did before.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
oha :eek:
i didnt believe much in tweaking things.but i put mouse smoothing off
and direct input on and now all works much better.
@ray and glider. how is that to do ? vsync & swapinterval ?
tnx.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
oha :eek:
i didnt believe much in tweaking things.but i put mouse smoothing off
and direct input on and now all works much better.
@ray and glider. how is that to do ? vsync & swapinterval ?
tnx.

WARNING!
If everything's ok now you better leave it as it is ;)
At least it will be a good idea to backup all your ini files from system folder just to be on the safe side if you screw something up ;)

OK, now ontj the actual part.
Open UnrealTournament.ini with notepad, find strings "VSync=..." and "SwapInterval=..." and try changing them. There may actually be quite a few of those. You need to change the ones that are located at the section that corresponds your rendering (example: [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section for OpenGL rendering)

VSync stands for Vertical synchronization and is somewhat bugged in UT. From my experience sometimes it affects mouse movement in UT. Sidenote: Enhanced OpenGL rendering lacks this option
It may be "true" or "false"

SwapInterval setting allows UT to skip mouse signals when it is needed. It leads to less smooth mouse movement but it tends to deal with "mouse lags behind my movement" feeling.
SwapInterval=0 means usual style
SwapInterval=1 means skip mode
SwapInterval =-1 deafult value (I think it's 0 ;) )
I'm not so totally sure about the last part concerning values because I tend to fight bugs in "lets change it and have a look at what happens" style %)

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
oki.i made a copy of my ut.ini and will try out your advice glider.
good to have ppl here who know about all these stuff.tnx.:cheers:

Edit: i couldnt find swapinterval but i have put vsync on false.i think it runs fine.
ty.
soz kantham for hijacking mate.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, SwapInterval is for newer renderers, but even there they might be not present (Max framerate option isn't present by default too). Simply add the line under your renderer, if it can work, it will, if it can't, it will simply ignore the line.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
IMHO most sure way to configure and not miss something is to type 'preferences' into console and then go to Rendering -> Direct3D9/OpenGL section and set your options :)

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
tnx guys.well looks like we on buf ut1 have real experts.:)
i found swapinterval via advanced options and set it to 0.
i have mouse sensitivy on 3.0.is that good?which is the best option for this guys?

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
tnx guys.well looks like we on buf ut1 have real experts.:)
i found swapinterval via advanced options and set it to 0.
i have mouse sensitivy on 3.0.is that good?which is the best option for this guys?

It's really too individual to suggest any values.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Ok, a few words on sensitivity issue =)

It's really individual but there are a few things to keep in mind when trying to set it for yourself.
As a rule of thumb your aim generally becomes better with lower sensitivity but you can't turn around fast enough when your sensitivity is really low. So, players who like to engage in close quarter combat tend to use higher sensitivity compared to those who like to keep their distance ;) Basically players toy with sensitivity trying to keep it fairly low but not to the point when it takes too long to turn around. It doesn't sound all that great but there's a way around this problem. The name of this way is "mouse acceleration".

When mouse acceleration is enabled faster mouse movement lead to higher sensitivity. It means that you can turn around swiftly when you move your mouse fast enough but you can keep you precise aim with not so fast mouse movement. It takes some time to get used to it and some people (me, for example) don't use it at all but as far as I know lots of really good UT players use this feature.

To enable mouse acceleration in UT you have to set it in windows (if you use default windows mouse drivers) control panel -> mouse. It is located right next to windows mouse sensitivity setting and takes form of checkbox in WinXP and slider in Win2000. After that you have to toy with "direct input" checkbox in UT. It goes this way: you change it, restart UT and look if anything have changed. If not, you change it again and restart UT one more time. Probably it will lead to desired result ;)
If you use external mouse drivers like logitech setpoint software you need to set mouse acceleration somwhere inside this software but you won't have to deal with "direct input" checkbox in UT as far as I remember ;)

Last edited:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
for me mousesensitivy 3.5 is very fine now.
no joking i think you guys with your knowledges here at this forum are goldworth.
cheers.tnx.

Edit: i just played insta DM online now.and i have to say i am about 30% better yet.haha this rox.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It's called Enhanced Pointer Precision in WinXP. For me, all mouse options are good actually... As I have 2 computers, one is with a USB cable mouse that is not sensitive at all while the other one has Logitech Cordless Desktop and is supremely sensitive. Somehow I like the sensitivity more though. Hate to have to turn the mouse a meter just to look back. Oh, and in Doom there was a key "look backwards" that would instantly make you look back :) Quite a nice addition, would be cool to have in UT, but might be not as much of help as you can't invert looking up and down...