Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Going Steam?

Take a slow news day, toss in some wild speculations, and you come up with a story like this one: VE3D quotes CS-Nation who unearthed a forum post from a Steam user who was doing a little spelunking in Steam's client registry. Apparently, a new-ish entry includes a developer with the name EPGComp which, the user posits, is possibly an abbreviation of Epic Games.

We've asked Mark Rein for an official comment and will update the news item accordingly.

UPDATE: No need for confirmation, Steam just blew us all away with this. All Unreal games (sans UT2003, again) are available through Steam! The package is on sale for $53.95 (for nearly $100 worth of games, including UT3). Go grab it and let us know how it goes!

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
I think it would be a smart move for Epic, UT3 needs more players, thats just a fact. Steam would be a great way to bring in more players. IS Epic not on some sort of deal with D2D that would prevent them going with other distributers?

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
It's just another place to download so yes.

If this is true it could be beneficial for both sides.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
EPGComp -> Epic Games Inc.
(no "comp") it's a bit far fetched.
His other evidence is "system" as CWD, but UE3 doesn't use "system" anymore.

and I still don't like Steam.

Last edited:

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
I could care less. I just hope to see hal use the term "spelunking" more in his news updates more often.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Please oh please let this be an early April fools' joke ... (hey ... that's in two weeks(tm) ;))
because I'd rather buy a PS3 instead of anything Steam-related as that system gives publishers far too much control over the software after I've purchased it.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
It is just a wild guess, and if it proves correct, it won't help/hurt us because UT3 will not go Steam. It just can't be plausible for Epic because they have to cancel the gamespy contract (and probably some others two), remove the gamespy code out of UT3, insert Steam code in it and cross over our stats. I actually did hope they would Steamify it though.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
EPGComp -> Epic Games Inc.
(no "comp") it's a bit far fetched.
His other evidence is "system" as CWD, but UE3 doesn't use "system" anymore.

and I still don't like Steam.

I agree, it seems far fetched.

I don't however agree about Steam. I did at one time. I vowed that piece of crap would never touch my computer. I just had to try out TF2 though, and I found it had not only changed dramatically, I was wishing more of my favorite games were on it.

It provides an easy way to find games, most of the bugs have been squashed and the friends list is outstanding.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
If this true, we would hopefully no longer have to put up with Gamespy and can use Steam's own server listing (which is far better IMO).

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Please oh please let this be an early April fools' joke ... (hey ... that's in two weeks(tm) ;))
because I'd rather buy a PS3 instead of anything Steam-related as that system gives publishers far too much control over the software after I've purchased it.

? What would stop you buying Epic games in a box as you would usually?
For eg. you an buy CoD4 over steam or in a box... just means more places for people to buy it.
:tinfoil3: :tinfoil3: :tinfoil3:

God this thread always makes me smile.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
Yeah I don't see how they managed to pull Epic Games from that, really.

Could be something like Electronic Pro Gaming Competion...

or
EPGComp = Extensive Penis Growth Comparisons

who the hell knows..

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
Just because a game is distributed through Steam doesn't mean it must inherit the Steam net code or community features. Plenty of games are distributed through Steam which still utilize their own net code and server browser systems (Prey & STALKER, among others).

It also doesn't mean you would have to do anything with Steam if you already own a copy of UT3. If you hate Steam, you can just pretend it doesn't exist.

Having the game available through Steam would be a good thing. It doesn't mean you have to use Steam if you don't want to (unless you buy it through Steam, which obviously most of you didn't do, so quit worrying).

It would just increase exposure and likely increase the number of players on the servers.

I very seriously doubt they would redo the server browser & community features in UT3 at this point. So if there's anything at all to this rumor, it would just be about distribution.

Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Just because a game is distributed through Steam doesn't mean it must inherit the Steam net code or community features. Plenty of games are distributed through Steam which still utilize their own net code and server browser systems (Prey & STALKER, among others).

It also doesn't mean you would have to do anything with Steam if you already own a copy of UT3. If you hate Steam, you can just pretend it doesn't exist.

Having the game available through Steam would be a good thing. It doesn't mean you have to use Steam if you don't want to (unless you buy it through Steam, which obviously most of you didn't do, so quit worrying).

It would just increase exposure and likely increase the number of players on the servers.

I very seriously doubt they would redo the server browser & community features in UT3 at this point. So if there's anything at all to this rumor, it would just be about distribution.

Exactly, a lot of people over-reacting here :D

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I would like steam better if it wasnt just valve games you could hook into it, like perhaps loosing your cdkey forever and having it linked to your account is a bad thing... But I dunno theres some games on there I own and I think it would be kewl to use the inbuilt browsers and friends stuff with them, some games just dont have those features or are alittle lacking.

Lets say for eg this is true and UT3 is going on steam, it means that I'll still be using UT3 how it is on the disc instead of being able to plug it into steam and using it that way. So there is a few problems which I see with steam but it does offer some nice features, so far I only use it for valve games since I usually make my other game purchases else where.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I wasn't talking about bugs in Steam.
I'm talking about control of others over my purchases. I'm talking about my rights as customer. I'm talking about my rights to privacy.

I heard this often... ...from people banned by UTAN. ;) (Note the Smiley, please)

BTW: I highly doubt that EPIC (if the specualtion is even true) will use it as their exclusive distribution channel. A lot of games out there can be bought in a box without Steam required. So I think it is an advantage because Steam will add new members to the UT3 community.

Last edited: