New Samus Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
a place that only I can exist in
I thought I would make a new Samus thread. After all its getting close to the release. (yeah, I know I am slow). I have done alot with the model since its last appearance. Have to say I am quite proud of how it turned out. Take a look of my new Samus model.

(no alpha channel - these are not renders)
ZSSXface1.jpg

ZSSXface2.jpg

ZSSXface3.jpg

ZSSXface4.jpg

This will not replace my older version, but this is a version exclusive for UT3.

I have spent alot of time fixing and improving everthing. I reshaped the legs, thighs, arms, waste, just about everything. I also changed the head/face proportions to be alot more human, but tried to keep the Nintenod-ish style to it.

this is something I was trying out. Like I said, this is not the same version I have been working before

This is an evolutionary reference to show how far Samus has gone through different periods of time that I have been working on here. Got to say, now that I look back on my prev. versions, I am quite ashamed of them, heh. (Everything is in ref pose except the eyes)

Samusfacialev1.jpg
samusfacialev2.jpg
Samusfacialev3.jpg

Of course the ingame ones and the ones in renders have looked better than shown, but with all that fancy alpha stuff and cool lights, this is how they are.

Last edited:

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
if u can work on hair little bit would be okey~ alpha for the hair~

like this pic: this only suggestion, u can work more better then this
maybe just make it long~ :p

Attachments

• new-1.jpg
    new-1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Garcian

Jan 20, 2008
Awesome work Goldfenix!
Been some time sinse your last update, but this is looking very good! Altough I agree that the hair might need some slight improvements...

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
oh I know Xeno, heh. Those screens do not have alpha, but it will look like how you shown it. I wouldnt leave the hair that way, alphaless. I dont know what else I might change but this new version is probably where I'll end it. Thanks for the comments and crits

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
Thanks, and here is some more renders.

I adjusted the eye lashes, but they may still need work. Its kindof dependent on if I want them more across the eye or not.

ZSSXface9.png

I also defined abs and ribs more, amongst other muscles and bones.

ZSSX5.png

Some random poses again

ZSSXpose4.png

Handstand like in Brawl

ZSSXflip1.png

Asleep upright:

ZSSXpose5.png

Last edited:

Skillet

Feb 21, 2008
Personally looking forward to this Goldfenix, you've done an awesome job so far. Just want to ask if you're going to add that symbol thing that's supposed to be on the left side of her chest, and possibly make her hair a little bit longer? Also the texture doesn't quite line up on her belly since you added the extra detail.

Other than that though, she's looking fantastic. I just wish I had a Wii so I could play SSBB heh.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
Thanks. Dont know too much about whether or not I will change the hair and suit, but the alignment on the chest is because the normal map is being flipped because its mirrored. Shouldnt do that in UE3 or any other app.

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
its using normal map? 0_o well i'm still dunno to use the normal map but the bump map still more suitable for me~

well u didn't put the light at side so i dunno u're using normal map

wait! whats the different between normal and bump map?
is't bump map shows the detail of texture like crack at the wall
and
normal map more to cloth/skin wrinkle detail?

so confuse

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
no, it has nothing to do with the physical intention, but yes, bump would be easier and more efficient for cracks and other simpler depths.

A bump map is a greyscale, it uses only one direction of depth. White being fully extrusive and black being fully inward, and a multiplier value used in the program controlling the bump will tell just how extrusive or inward.

A normal map has the same concept, but is alot more complex. A normal map uses the colors blue, green, and red. Each color coresponds to an axis, X Y and Z. This makes it so instead of using a one direction monochromed depth system, it can now emphasize all axis of direction.

Garcian

Jan 20, 2008
Hmmm, sounds complicated at first, but I think I understand now. So it's like a stick with two legs pointing at two directions, each with a different colour, corusponding each axis?